PDA

View Full Version : The hardest job: letting go

thedrifter
01-22-07, 08:52 AM
The hardest job: letting go
January 22,2007
ANNE CLARK
DAILY NEWS STAFF

It took about two years for Robert Mills to decide to step down as the Business and Logistics Support Department operations officer for Camp Lejeune and Marine Corps Installations East.

"Making the decision to retire has been the hardest thing about this job," said Mills, a Jacksonville native who worked on Lejeune for 37 years.

It was standing room only at his retirement ceremony Friday, where Maj. Gen. Robert Dickerson honored the departing Mills.

"It's been an honor to have you on the team," said Dickerson, commanding general of Marine Corps Installations East, Camp Lejeune. "You did a really good job."

Mills wore his Navy Meritorious Civilian Service Award, a bronze medal on a blue ribbon, an honor bestowed by the Secretary of the Navy for high value and extraordinary service.

He also was named the Corps' Civilian Logistician of the Year in fiscal year 2003.

At his Friday's ceremony, Camp Lejeune's commanding officer, Col. Adele Hodges, presented him with a flag that flew over the base on Jan. 2.

When it came time for him to speak to his guests, Mills became emotional, especially when talking about the troops.

"It's been a distinct pleasure of mine to serve the Marine Corps," Mills said. "I'll miss the camaraderie of the team."

Many of those who attended Mills' ceremony were in uniform.

"It's an honor to see a civilian with that many years on base," said Capt. Robert Brady, BLSD Ops, who worked for Mills.

"He's truly a Marine, for us."

Other colleagues agreed Mills will be hard to replace.

"If he was an athlete, we'd be retiring his number," said Chuck Young, a retired master gunnery sergeant who worked with Mills both as an active duty Marine and as a civilian.

Mills first came to Camp Lejeune as a 20-year-old office appliance repairer in 1969.

At the time, he didn't know that he would spend nearly four decades - through the marriage to his wife, Phyllis; the birth of their son, Robert Jr.; and the arrivals of their grandsons, Tyler and Ryan - serving the base.

It's a life well lived, shown in a video montage of photos that played at the post-ceremony reception.

"This has been my life for 37 years," Mills said. "It's been an easy career because I loved what I did."

What now? Mills plans to relax, do some volunteer work and play golf, but mostly he'll spend quality time with his family.

"He was always a good son," said Mills' mother, Doreen Mills.

He was the oldest of her four children, a natural leader who inspired his siblings by his example, Doreen Mills said.

He had a tricky side, too; when he was little, he brought home his entire class - 26 kids - to celebrate his birthday.

It was a surprise to his mother, but she stretched the cake so everyone got a piece.

Decades later, she's moved by the friends who have joined her son in yet another milestone.

"Today means everything," she said.

It was a day for Mills to reflect on his long career.

His most challenging moment came in 1981, when the repair work he'd been doing was contracted out.

"I had to change gears, and the transition wasn't easy," Mills said. "It put me on a different path than what I'd been on."

His most recent job as BLSD operations officer involved coordinating all the logistics for food service, transportation, motor transport, information technology and communications.

He supported events on base, such as training exercises.

One 1997 exercise involved units from 17 different countries who converged on Camp Lejeune.

Mills had to supply them with last-minute items like uniforms and boots.

"It's something we hadn't (yet) done of that magnitude," said Nancy Kalm, assistant chief of staff for BLSD and Mills' supervisor.

"But Robert is very dedicated and smart; with his BlackBerry, he works 24/7."

Mills' work ethic is so strong that before he left for a cruise with his wife, the BLSD staff insisted he leave the BlackBerry behind.

A career high point, Mills said, was serving as a base property officer, which meant he planned and facilitated the purchase of all the furniture for offices and barracks on base.

"It gave me the opportunity to improve conditions for Marines," Mills said, and his eyes grew misty again when talking about his beloved Corps.

"I love the Marines because of what they do," Mills said. "They're the greatest."

Ellie