PDA

View Full Version : Snapping In

jinelson
01-20-07, 10:22 PM
If you Poolees ever wonder why we Marines are so insistent on you not getting a rifle and practicing on your own before boot camp. Consider this, have you ever heard of snapping-in? This is part of Marine Corps marksmanship training that has not changed since I completed grass week in 1967 when I learned to ding the Marine Corps way.

Recruits Learn Marksmanship Fundamentals At Snap-in Circles

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2007119122850/$file/02company03_LR.jpg

Pvt. Darren E. Driggers, Platoon 3241, Co. L, practices proper aiming techniques with his rifle.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200711912312/$file/02company01_LR.jpg

Pvt. Anthony Hayes prepares a loop sling, which holds a rifle steady for long-distance shooting, during Co. L’s rifle training.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200711912330/$file/02company02_LR.jpg

Company L recruits “snap-in” with the M-16 A2 service rifle after learning how to properly handle the weapons.

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO (Jan. 19, 2007)-- Like the tortoise and the hare, slow and steady wins the race. In rifle marksmanship, a slow and steady trigger pull helps to score expert on the rifle range.

Before actually firing on the range in the second phase of boot camp, recruits from Company L were given a week to practice the basics of how to get into firing positions and safely handle their rifles. This is called “snapping in.”

“This week, grass week, is designed to get the recruits comfortable with the positions and give them an advantage on the range,” said Sgt. Robert Alcocer, primary marksmanship instructor, Weapons and Field Training Battalion, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif.

"Every Marine is a rifleman. Individuals cannot become Marines without learning how to shoot first," said Alcocer, a native of Los Angeles. "Rifle marksmanship is a crucial skill used to survive in battle."
Private Edgar Caballero, Platoon 3245, was the company high shooter. He qualified expert on the range with a score of 237 out of 250 possible points.

"My key to success was listening to all the instruction and coaching we were given and putting it to work while on the range," said Caballero, who is from Escondido, Calif. "I believe I would not have scored as high if I would not have focused on applying what I was taught during grass week."

Marines of Co. L were able to qualify with better scores because of the opportunity presented to them to practice and fine-tune their firing techniques and learn about proper weapons handling.

Jan. 19, 2007;By Lance Cpl. Alicia Small, MCRD San Diego

ivalis
01-20-07, 11:21 PM
just my 2 cents worth.

never shot a gun before boot. had fewer problems than a lot of folks cause i didn't have any bad habits to overcome.

did qualify unlike half the platoon.

FistFu68
01-21-07, 03:23 AM
I Bet You Really Busted,a Nut;when You Got Too Shoot You'r Rifle??? Instead Of You'r Civilian Gun!!!(lmfao)

ivalis
01-21-07, 05:39 AM
the first thing we shot were .45s. (baa haa).

why is it called a machine gun instead of a machine rifle??

FistFu68
01-21-07, 07:46 AM
:marine: 'CAUSE IT'S FULLY AUTOMATIC~DON'T HAVE A SELECTOR SWITCH :marine: LIKE MY TAPPER:beer:

davecerami275
01-21-07, 08:17 PM
trivia question,,, other than the m-60 machine gun,,, what other type of GUN would you find in the armory

ivalis
01-22-07, 05:55 AM
not that it would fit in the armory or if it's even still in use.

175mm SP Gun

FistFu68
01-22-07, 07:23 AM
:evilgrin: ITHACA MODEL#37,12GAUGE;SHOTGUN :evilgrin:

FistFu68
01-22-07, 07:36 AM
:evilgrin: THOMPSON-SUB-MACHINE-GUN, ELECTRIC -MINI -GUN;FLARE GUN :evilgrin:

FistFu68
01-22-07, 07:39 AM
:) OH AND IVALIS'S CHEEZE~GUN~(LMFAO):marine:

FistFu68
01-22-07, 07:53 AM
:evilgrin: 50.&3O.CAL.MACHINE GUN,PISTOLS;REVOLVER'S& THE SPECIAL SPEAR GUN;LAST BUT NOT LEAST~INDIA CO'S 3/26~BEER GUN!!!!(LOL):D M-79???

davecerami275
01-22-07, 08:11 AM
25 bonus points for fist

BR34
01-22-07, 01:48 PM
...so which was it? What about the Benelli?

Quinbo
01-22-07, 01:55 PM
...so which was it? What about the Benelli?
The Marines carry mossburg 590's and remington 870's but you have a point a benelli is a gun and not a rifle.

BR34
01-22-07, 02:07 PM
I thought the Mossbergs and Remingtons were being replaced by the Benelli.

Thanks for the clarification, Sgt.

Allen870922
01-22-07, 02:14 PM
All I have to say about grass week is... D*** fire ants...

FistFu68
01-22-07, 02:38 PM
:evilgrin: (LMAO)I WALKED POINT,MANY MOON'S AGO;WITH AN ITHICA!!!SEE YOU YOUNG 'BUC'S GET ALL THE NEW CHIT(LOL)!!!OH I,FORGOT MY (GREASE GUN)!!! I WENT TOO QUANTICO,A COUPLE YEAR'S AGO;THE GUARD COMPANY YOUNG MEN HAD THEM NEW BENELLI~AUTO'S~(SWEET)!!! WE EVEN HAD A FEW BROWNING A-5'S!!! MAN,I MISS BEING A MARINE (O311) S/F THAT!!!:iwo:

Quinbo
01-22-07, 02:49 PM
I personnally prefer auto loader shotguns but never saw one while I served. That is great that the Corps is moving forward to benelli. Sadly the ithica shotgun company couldn't keep their heads above water. I own a browning A-5 and if I saw someone butt stroke a door knob or drop it in the mud I would probably have a coranary.

I'm no longer in the corps but never saw anything but pump guns in the armory while I was.

FistFu68
01-22-07, 03:07 PM
:evilgrin: I MUST ADMIT,SGT.B;THOSE A-5'S ARE A WORK OF BEAUTY! I OWN A(SWEET 16)!!!THE BEST SHOOTER,I'VE EVER SHOT! SHOTGUN~WISE THAT IS!!! GOD~SPEED~SEMPER~FI!!!:iwo:

SkilletsUSMC
01-22-07, 03:36 PM
I personnally prefer auto loader shotguns but never saw one while I served. That is great that the Corps is moving forward to benelli. Sadly the ithica shotgun company couldn't keep their heads above water. I own a browning A-5 and if I saw someone butt stroke a door knob or drop it in the mud I would probably have a coranary.

I'm no longer in the corps but never saw anything but pump guns in the armory while I was.

We had some benellis, but I much prefer the old mossberg. easier to use when you have gallons of adrenaline in your system.

FistFu68
01-22-07, 04:02 PM
:evilgrin: WHAT'CHA GONNA DO? WITH THAT PUMP,VERSE'S AN AUTO LOADER;WHEN YOU GET A FEW FINGER'S BLOWN OFF???:iwo: S/F

aang
01-22-07, 05:36 PM
What about the SAW? I remember seeing a few in there. Matter of fact I even got to see a LAW. I guess I am dating myself.

Old Marine
01-30-07, 09:05 AM
There was a time when you saw Grease Guns in the armory. 45 cal.

Quinbo
01-30-07, 09:39 AM
Hey gunny are you talking about the Thompson sub-machine gun. I always wanted to fire one of those. I guess the newer version of that would be the MP-5 and it fires a 9 mil round.

Camper51
01-30-07, 03:42 PM
that this thread has gotten completely off course?

This thread was started to show poolees and wannabees why they should NOT go out and spend time shooting a rifle if they haven't been doing it all their life, yet everyone seems to want to talk about everything EXCEPT what this thread is all about.

This thread is not about what wild and wonderful macho weapons are out there. It is about letting the Marines teach you how to shoot and why you should NOT go out and start doing it on your own.

I would ask that if you want to talk about your macho wild and wonderful weapons that you start another thread just for that purpose and leave this thread for the edification of the poolees and wannabees as to reasons that they shoud or should not go to a rifle range and start shooting the weapon that the Marines use (M-16) for qualification in bootcamp.

OK< OK< OK, I will jump off the soapbox now..

iamcloudlander
01-30-07, 04:24 PM
This question is for the newer Marines , during grass week do they still use the box where they secure your weapon in place and using mirrors teach you about sight alignment and sight picture? I felt that had it not been for this box I would not have qualified,like ivalis I had never fired any type "weapon" prior to joining the Marines.

Old Marine
02-01-07, 09:02 AM
that this thread has gotten completely off course?

This thread was started to show poolees and wannabees why they should NOT go out and spend time shooting a rifle if they haven't been doing it all their life, yet everyone seems to want to talk about everything EXCEPT what this thread is all about.

This thread is not about what wild and wonderful macho weapons are out there. It is about letting the Marines teach you how to shoot and why you should NOT go out and start doing it on your own.

I would ask that if you want to talk about your macho wild and wonderful weapons that you start another thread just for that purpose and leave this thread for the edification of the poolees and wannabees as to reasons that they shoud or should not go to a rifle range and start shooting the weapon that the Marines use (M-16) for qualification in bootcamp.

OK< OK< OK, I will jump off the soapbox now..

Or fall off the soapbox.

Allen870922
02-02-07, 10:51 PM
This question is for the newer Marines , during grass week do they still use the box where they secure your weapon in place and using mirrors teach you about sight alignment and sight picture? I felt that had it not been for this box I would not have qualified,like ivalis I had never fired any type "weapon" prior to joining the Marines.
I'm a broken recruit, not a Marine, but I'll answer if you don't mind.

I never saw that. They had this gay little model thing but most PMIs didn't like it so they didn't spend much time using it. Only way I was really taught was by just being told to put the tip of the front sight post in the center of the rear sight aperature. Nice plain english for retarded recruits.