PDA

View Full Version : TBS December 1964; Chu Lai 1965-67

BobTate
02-07-03, 02:27 PM
I am interested in finding "old timers" who graduated from Quantico TBS in December 1964 or who served in MAG-12 in the early years of Chu Lai. Also, anyone with Chu Lai photos from that timeframe.....

Tudy
11-06-05, 09:49 PM
Bob, I just read your message. My Dad is Lt. Col. Rex Wilson (USMC-Ret.). He was EX and Col. Les Brown was CO of MAG 12 in Chu Lai/1965. I was over at my parents today; my Dad just happened to show me a group photo of MAG 12 during that time frame. If you would still like a copy I will be happy to mail/scan (if I can get my scanner to work) to you. Please let me know.

Sincerely from a very PROUD Marine's daughter,
Karen

Joseph P Carey
11-07-05, 03:54 AM
I am interested in finding "old timers" who graduated from Quantico TBS in December 1964 or who served in MAG-12 in the early years of Chu Lai. Also, anyone with Chu Lai photos from that timeframe.....

I have some photos on this site under my name in the Photo Gallary, but they are photos of grunts 65 and 66 Chu Lai (kilo 3/7), there are some photos of Helicopter on LZs. Eventually, I will get around to putting more on the site.

BobTate
11-07-05, 06:07 AM
Karen...

great to hear from you. I arrived in Chu Lai in Feb 1966. I remember your Dad's name and Les Browns although I can't remember for sure if they were still there when I got there. The MAG-12 CO I served under for the longest time was Jay Hubbard, who passed away last year.

I have found some of the other officers I served with, some of whom were among the original landing party in 1965.... maybe your dad knew Ed Rolita, Dick Milller or Vic Britt.

I would love any pictures you have and I have some I can send in your direction. Send diurectly to BobTate@aol.com.

Thank you and give your Dad a "Semper Fi" for me.

Bob

Jerry Renfeld
07-01-06, 10:38 AM
I was a radar tech in the gca unit that landed in may of 65. There was no base when we came ashore. I have pictures taken in the fall of 65 . I was on hand for the first fixed wing landing. I left chu lai in Jan. of 66. I have those pictures on a cd which I could copyand send to you if desired.

Tudy
07-02-06, 10:36 PM
Hi, Jerry! Thank you for your note. We would appreciate it if you would send us a CD during that time period. I know my Dad would enjoy seeing it and so would the rest of the family. Please let us know how much it is & we will send you the money.

Sincerely,
Karen (Tudy)

Bhealey47
02-10-08, 09:37 PM
My dad served in MAG 12 VMA 311 in Chu Lai in 1966. We have some photos and would like to possibly swap some of them. His name is Barry Healey. Please let me now if you or anyone here remebers him. Also if anyone knows how where or if I can get a 311th patch, the one with Sylvester the cat, please let me know. please e-mail me at bhealey47@yahoo.com. Thanks Bhealey47

BobTate
02-11-08, 06:20 PM
Barry..

check your email. Patchmart.com has the Tomcat patch you want. I sent the link.

Would be interested in trading pics...email me back.

Bill Mathews
06-23-10, 04:42 PM
I served in Chu Lia Viet Nam with Mabs 12 and believe Lt. Col Wilson was the Co. I served with First Sgt Shields, and Warrent Offficer Brennan. I am trying to verfy this. Can the Colonel name some of the people he remembers, officers & enlisted. I would drive him about the garrison on occasions. I rermember a Lcpl Janko, who was transferred to the grunts, A Lcpl Joe Bradly. I remember the Col as tall blonde headed man.

Bill Mathews
06-23-10, 04:44 PM
Trying to locate men I served with in Mabs 12, Mag 12, Chu Lia, Viet Nam, May 1965 to Oct 1965. Please respond with how to reach you. My email is bmathews@ringlerassociates.com

Bill Mathews
06-23-10, 04:58 PM
Looking for Marines with Mag 12, Mabs 12, 1964 in Chu l ia Viet Nam,

Bill Mathews
06-23-10, 05:01 PM
I have some photos on this site under my name in the Photo Gallary, but they are photos of grunts 65 and 66 Chu Lai (kilo 3/7), there are some photos of Helicopter on LZs. Eventually, I will get around to putting more on the site.

I was in Mabs 12, Mag 12 Chu Lia 1965 when we went in. Trying to locate fellow Marines.

Bill Mathews
06-23-10, 05:04 PM
Bob, I just read your message. My Dad is Lt. Col. Rex Wilson (USMC-Ret.). He was EX and Col. Les Brown was CO of MAG 12 in Chu Lai/1965. I was over at my parents today; my Dad just happened to show me a group photo of MAG 12 during that time frame. If you would still like a copy I will be happy to mail/scan (if I can get my scanner to work) to you. Please let me know.

Sincerely from a very PROUD Marine's daughter,
Karen

I was there during that time. Was your Dad
CO of MABS 12 or MAG 12? Does he remember the Mabs 12 Co at the time and First Sgt?

BobTate
06-23-10, 05:26 PM
Bill..
here is the pic Tudy sent me a few years back...see if you recognize anyone...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/bobtate/misc/chulai1965fromKarenWilson.jpg

Bill Mathews
06-24-10, 09:57 AM
The only question was when this was taken, because the huts in the back ground were not there in my tour. We where all still in tents. But second from right sitting & standing may have been the MABS 12 Co.

BobTate
06-24-10, 10:05 AM
Bill..
info I have says that pic was taken on 4/3/66. I arrived MAG 12 in late Feb 1966... those huts were all the group HQ offices and were there when I got there.

All the living quarters were still tents but were converted over in the months that followed.

S/F
Bob

archlarch
10-16-10, 04:33 PM

I was a GCA and Tower controller with MATCU-67, MAG-12 from March 1966 through April 1967. An incredible experience...

Left photo is the Tower (looking east) taken July 1966. The middle photo is me in the Tower. The photo was taken for the "Sea Tiger" newspaper by a Marine photographer and published in the October 1966 issue. The right photo is an A-4 about ready to lift-off at mid-field (4,000'). Note the "Z" trench in the foreground. The Airfield Ops area is beyond the runway.

Semper Fi!
Ron Stup

Charles Weidman
11-03-10, 12:11 PM
I made the landing in 1965 off of the USS Windam County (LST 1167) thru the surf. I was with the Ordnance section of MABS-12. We came in from Okinawa out of Iwakuni Japan. We operated the bomb dump south of the airfield and lived in tents. I was a Corporal, E-4 with nine years in the Corps and supervised the ammo off loading from the AKAs to the beach with "peter boats". I left Chu Lai in November of that year on emergency leave due to my father dying of lung cancer. Returned to RVN 1967 from Iwakumi to fly with VMGR-1 on nite flare missions. We provided the nite light for operations. Left CONUS in 1970 for RVN again to Marble Mountain, where I was the NCOIC of the Ordnance section of HML-167 and flew many missions as a door gunner, port side on gunships. Pics are someplace, no clue. I do remember an Amtrac getting stuck in the river bed during the monsoon season in '65. At the time, it felt like I'd been there forever as everything else was just a dim memory.

Comm Chief
11-24-10, 06:47 PM
Fm: Cpl. John Tate, Chu Lai, R V N, 65-66

Because of P T S D and T B I, I have lost most of my memory of the time
I spend "in country" and am trying to find anyone that was there at the
same time I was ! ! ! ! So any info/pics, etc. would help a lot ! ! ! !
I was in the Comm. section, also spent 30 days on guard duty on the flight line, also 30 days on "body bag" duty.That's about all I remember,
so anyone that was there that can help fill in the blanks or knows anyone
that was in my unit, I would appreciate the help ! ! ! !

Charles Weidman
11-25-10, 10:56 AM
I was in the bomb dump where we assembled bombs, belted 20mm ammo and put together napalm bombs for old Ho Chi Min especially on his birthday. We put some quite interesting "stuff" in the 1000 lb napalm bombs as nails, glass, the locking rims from 55 gal drums etc for ****s and giggles. Nothing was too good for him. Didn't get around too much except for the delivering of munitions to the flight line. I think we only made the chow hall (after it was built) four or five times as we just didn't have the time. Same for R&R, never made it. I laugh when I read that when we came ashore, that there was a banner claiming the area was "secure". Never saw that one and do remember digging in for our first night. A foxhole in the blow sand was a joke to say the least. Ended up about 15 ft X 3 foot deep and ended up shoring up the walls with Australian pine branches and limbs to keep the walls from collapsing in on us. Spent a lot of my initial days on the beach unloading ammo for the A4s that came in and watched the Sea Bees have running gunfights at night while building the temp field. They had to inject asphalt into the blowsand to stabalize it for the aluminum matting to be placed on. Also watched an A4 loaded with ordnance get blown off the strip while taking off due to the fact that the JATO bottles used had different cants on the nozzles ie: 15* on one side and 45* on the other. Also remember the night the sappers hit the flight line. We could hear, but not see. I simply took my M-14 and went "hunting" in the dark. Being an "old country boy" I could handle the night. Hope this helps. It's been a long time ago and I don't wish to go there. I did end up with a Navy Comm with Combat V and several other pieces of "pogy bait' all of which, if placed on a bar with $2.50 will get me a draft beer. Retired back in Oct of '76 after 22 years as a Gunnery Sergeant. I was a Gunny and NOT an E-7!! That just happened to be my paygrade. Also flew over 127 combat missions in C-130s with VMGR 152 out of Danang and even more with HML-167 back in '70-71 out of Marble Mountain as a door gunner. Happy Turkey Day to my USMC mates. PS: the Easter Bunny is dead as we shot that sucker at Chu Lai back in 1965.

chuckwilmot
12-03-10, 07:13 PM
Holy cow, Ron, I was there at the same time! I was mostly a sandbag filler and group guard guy until the last half, then I was a GCA controller. I have to tell you, I'm embarrassed that I don't remember you.

archlarch
12-03-10, 09:39 PM
Chuck,

I think I do remember your name. I was in the GCA trailer for about a month or so (March-April 1966) then moved to the Control Tower. I was probably in the tower by the time you arrived. I got promoted to Sergeant the first of September 1966. I loved being in the Tower working the traffic. It was loud, fast, and exciting. I'm still flying airplanes as a private pilot. I guess I got addicted to the action.

The photos are the MATCU-67 hut, the GCA Trailers (from the Tower), and the bunker at the west side of the surveillance radar antenna. I remember guard duty in that rat infested bunker. It was the only hole on the perimeter with a roof which made it seem luxurious when on guard duty at night during the monsoon.

Hope your doing well,

Ron Stup

chuckwilmot
12-03-10, 10:33 PM
Thanks Ron! If you run across any more, please post them.

Bill Mathews
12-06-10, 10:52 AM
Does anyone the name of the CO in 1965 for AMbs12, Mag12? fIRST sGT sHIELDS WAS THE TOP NCO. I was trying to remember the other officers & NCO's I remember a Sgt Ellenberg, but not even sure if he is still alive.

RobShannon
02-19-11, 11:34 AM
The only question was when this was taken, because the huts in the back ground were not there in my tour. We where all still in tents. But second from right sitting & standing may have been the MABS 12 Co.

If this photo you are talking about is the living quarters, the tents were replaced with huts approximately July 1966.

RobShannon
02-19-11, 11:39 AM
I arrived in Chu Lai March 1966. The enlisted living quarters were all tents at that time. If I had to guess I would say the huts were built around July 66.

RobShannon
02-19-11, 11:50 AM
I was with H&Ms 12, Mag 12 from 3/66 to 4/67. I was the colonels driver for a while. I asked for another assignment, as it wasn't my thing. Gunny Amico didn't know how to tell the Colonel, but he did. There were no hard feelings. I believe Colonel Hubbard was the CO at the time.

archlarch
02-21-11, 06:24 PM
I arrived in Chu Lai March 1966. The enlisted living quarters were all tents at that time. If I had to guess I would say the huts were built around July 66.

I think you're about right about the time the huts appeared. I remember filling sandbags to put on the corrugated metal roofs to keep them from flying off during the monsoon season.
This is the ATC tent on the west side of the runway, behind the control tower, before huts.

wharvill
08-18-11, 12:24 AM
I was a radar tech in the gca unit that landed in may of 65. There was no base when we came ashore. I have pictures taken in the fall of 65 . I was on hand for the first fixed wing landing. I left chu lai in Jan. of 66. I have those pictures on a cd which I could copyand send to you if desired.

Jerry:

I arrived morning of your amphib landing Via H-34s with 40+ from MATCU 66. Departed for CONUS the last week of 65. I have sent you a private message for contact. Would like to see photos. You will recognize the Gulf behind me on my profile picture. Remember those first intial baths in seawater before the got our cold water showers up?

wharvill
08-18-11, 12:29 AM
Does anyone the name of the CO in 1965 for AMbs12, Mag12? fIRST sGT sHIELDS WAS THE TOP NCO. I was trying to remember the other officers & NCO's I remember a Sgt Ellenberg, but not even sure if he is still alive.

MABS-12 CO on landing in May 65 was LtCol Alexander Wilson. He is still alive and is active in MCAA. Forgotten the COL who was the Group CO. I was a Capt in MATCU 67

linshan
08-18-11, 03:42 AM
Philadelphia Phillies hang on for Halladay's 15th victory
Los Angeles-- One question struck the Philadelphia Phillies as their three-run lead started to unravel in the eighth inning Monday at Dodger Stadium:
When was the last time this happened?
Roy Halladay said "I've been on teams when it's never guaranteed, even getting through eight innings it's never guaranteed," Roy Halladay who got his Mlb (http://www.wealthmass.com/Sports-outdoors/Mlb-jerseys-Mlb-jersey-Beseball-Jerseys-Baseball-jersey/Mlb-Women-s-Jerseys/) 15th win. "The way our bullpen has closed things down, you really feel if you get through six, seven innings you have a chance to win the game. They've been very good. Even on nights like tonight when it's not the best you've ever seen them they find ways to get it done."
As hyped as the Philadelphia Phillies (http://www.wealthmass.com/Sports-outdoors/Mlb-jerseys-Mlb-jersey-Beseball-Jerseys-Baseball-jersey/Philadelphia-Phillies/) ' rotation has been, their bullpen has been especially effective despite injuries that have forced four pitchers -- Jose Contreras, Brad Lidge, Antonio Bastardo and Brad Lidge -- into the closer's role. The Phillies entered Monday's 5-3 victory Beated the Los Angeles Dodgers (http://www.wealthmass.com/Sports-outdoors/Mlb-jerseys-Mlb-jersey-Beseball-Jerseys-Baseball-jersey/Los-Angeles-Dodgers/) at Dodger’s Stadium having blown a big league low three saves in 36 opportunities this season. Most of those saves have been smooth experiences -- there haven't been too many close-your-eyes-and-wish-for-the-best moments -- but on a night when they did not have their best, they still found a way to get the big outs at the big moments to preserve a victory.
The Phillies are 7-1 on their 10-game road trip through Denver, San Francisco Giants (http://www.wealthmass.com/Sports-outdoors/Mlb-jerseys-Mlb-jersey-Beseball-Jerseys-Baseball-jersey/San-Francisco-Giants/) and Los Angeles. If the Phillies can win the remaining two games on the trip -- they have Cliff Lee (11-7, 2.96 ERA) pitching Tuesday and Vance Worley (8-1, 2.35) pitching Wednesday -- they would have their best 10-game road trip in franchise history.
In fact, based on winning percentage, it would be the third-best road trip in franchise history.
The Phillies carried a 4-1 lead into the bottom of the seventh inning with help from Shane Victorino and Jimmy Rollins. Victorino had doubled twice and scored twice, and Rollins doubled to score two runs in the second. Halladay allowed nine hits, one run and two walks and struck out four in 6 1/3 innings. He got into trouble in the seventh, and Phillies manager Charlie Manuel pulled him with runners on first and second and one out.
Left-hander Bastardo entered the game and promptly fell behind 3-0 to Andre Ethier before getting him to ground into an inning-ending double play.

That proved big because Lidge's wild pitch in his at-bat with Tony Gwynn would have allowed the tying run to score. Lidge instead got out of the inning when Gwynn unsuccessfully tried to bunt for a hit.
Gwynn said."That's how it works," "If you get it down, it's a good play, if you don't get it down, you look stupid."
Victorino, who earlier in the day appealed his three-game suspension for his role in Friday's bench-clearing brawl in San Francisco, gave the Phillies some breathing room in the ninth when he hit a solo homer to right to give the Phillies a two-run lead.
Madson, who is back in the closer's role, pitched a scoreless ninth to pick up his 20th save.
"We've been really good," Tomorrow we're going to go out there with the same kind of confidence we had today. That's been the thing. We've just been really confident in what we're doing." Madson said.

Charles Weidman
08-18-11, 07:58 AM
What's with the play-by-play with the baseball game? Doesn't have anything to do with the subject in my estimation. Mayby that's just me, tho.

BobTate
08-27-11, 09:56 PM
I was with H&Ms 12, Mag 12 from 3/66 to 4/67. Gunny Amico didn't know how to tell the Colonel, but he did. There were no hard feelings. I believe Colonel Hubbard was the CO at the time.

I remember Val Amico very well.... in fact I found him living in Phoenix area and talked to him about 1998-99.... sounded well but that was a long time ago. He was promoted to WO during my tour.. I think late 1966.

Also found Jay Hubbard and was able to email him a few times before he passed in 2003... http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jwhubbard.htm

S/F

walbright
05-31-12, 12:27 PM
I'm looking for anyone who served at the MABS-12 bomb dump in Chu Lai during 1966-67. When I was there, our CO was Captain Robert Myers.

BobTate
05-31-12, 01:11 PM
I don't remember Myers but I found this old pic of the bomb dump in my files...I hope it shows up

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/bobtate/chu%20lai/BombDump.jpg

wharvill
06-12-12, 10:17 PM

Jerry I brought about 40 guys with me down from MATCU 66 MAG-11 Atsugi to augment MATCU 67. We arrived by H-34s just as the ship dropped the ramp so you and I served together. I was Captain at the time and brought CWOs Al Hartkopf and Janke along with the controllers and maint techs. about30-40 of us total.

I left the last week of Aug 65 and assigned to MAG-24 at Cherry Point for a year before I resigned my commission and then flew for the airlines for 33+ years before retiring from Delta in Nov 1999.

God Bless and Semper Fi from a fellow Chu Lai MATCU guy...

Bill "Harv" Harvill
wharvill@aol.com

wharvill
06-18-12, 02:54 PM

Bill:
LtCol Alexander Wilson

BobTate
01-19-14, 08:33 AM
Thought I'd try to find Val Amico to say hello... instead I found his obit.... see attached link

http://www.lyndahl.com/obituary/73109/Valentine-Amico/#biography

RobShannon
01-19-14, 10:21 AM
It seems we served with Gunny Amico around the same time. I also was there when he made WO.

RobShannon
01-19-14, 10:36 AM
Bob, thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear about Gunny Amico. He was a great Marine who new how to get things done. We were in Chu Lai around the same time. I arrived there the beginning of March 1966. Your name sounds very familiar, I'm thinking you were a 1st lt. at the time.

BobTate
01-19-14, 12:41 PM
Hi Rob..

Hope all is well. You are correct... we both arrived about the same time... I was an ElTee at the time...was an in a/c maintenace in H&MS and picked up Motor T as a collateral duty (among others)..thats how I met Val.... after he got promoted to WO, he moved into my hooch with O's from various squadrons.... nice to see he made WO 4....

He was a great Marine...and an great person....

RobShannon
01-19-14, 01:33 PM
Bob, your name sounds very familiar. I was stationed at Chu Lai almost the same time that you were. I was in H&M'S 12 Motor T with Gunny Amico. I was a Lance Corporal at the time. I was a driver. Gunny was a guy who new how to get things done. He chose me to be the colonels driver replacing Corporal Mills who was rotating back to the states. A lot of guys would have loved that job but it wasn't my style. Besides being the Colonels driver I had to clean his office and living quarters. I also tendered the bar in his living quarters at night. After a short time, I asked Gunny to find a replacement for me as it wasn't what I felt I came to Viet Nam to do. Gunny Amico felt like I put him on the spot having
to tell the colonel I no longer wanted the job. After trying to talk me out of it he finally agreed to tell the Colonel. There were no hard feelings and I was assigned as driver for the civic action program in the Ly Tin area. I had an interpreter who I picked up every day, his name was Lam. I often wonder what happened to lam.

RobShannon
01-19-14, 02:21 PM
I was promoted to Corporal while still in Nam and made E-5 shortly after returning to the states. I was one of the youngest E-5's around at the time, being only 20 years old. I was from Long Island but know I also live upstate. I live in a small town about half way between Oneonta and Binghamton. If I remember correctly Gunny was from Ozone Park, New York, also Long Island.

BobTate
01-19-14, 04:47 PM
Rob.... I live in Brunswick, just outside Troy towards Bennington. My brother lives in Otego, just south of Oneonta on I88. I'm somewhat familiar with the area as I've flown into Sydney Airport several times....
S/F

RobShannon
01-19-14, 05:06 PM
I live in Afton about 1/2 hour from Otego. I had an Italian Rest. in Otego but closed it about 4 years ago. Small town not enough business.

Ben Warthan
04-21-14, 12:02 PM
Bill,
If you are referring to LtCol Alexander Wilson I go see him on a weekly basis.
He is trying to remember the exact time-line from landing to first F-4s arriving.
Thanks for any information you may have.
Ben Warthan

vanmac
04-23-14, 08:14 AM
I have a couple of dates...
First A-4 landed on 1 June 65 (VMA-225).
F-4's arrived in Sept. 66 (VMFA-314).
The last MAG-12 squadron in Chu Lai, VMA-311, was reassigned to MAG-13 in Feb. 70. And we were all gone by the end of Sept. '70.
http://115marinereunion.com/Marines_Leave_Chu_Lai.jpg

vanmac
04-23-14, 08:22 AM
This is the Chu Lai we left behind...
http://115marinereunion.com/CL_Air_Base_3.jpg

Ben Warthan
04-23-14, 10:14 AM
Thank you very much for the newsclipping and pictures. I am going to see Colonel Wilson in a little while. He is going to be cremated here and buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

robertson75
07-29-14, 01:27 PM
Hello,
I know this is a longshot, but my father, Captain Joseph James Robertson, was doing air traffic control. 1st MAW, MATCU. Wish I had more photos and info. Agent Orange claimed his life this past 20 Apr. Anyway, thanks for your sacrafice and service. With respect, Drew Robertson

Ben Warthan
07-29-14, 01:38 PM
Bill:
LtCol Alexander Wilson

Colonel Wilson passed away three weeks ago:flag:

robertson75
07-29-14, 02:33 PM
Dont know if my earlier post made it. My father, Captain Joseph James Roberson 1st MAW MATCU, was in Chu Lai '67-'69. He was air traffic Conrol. Agent Orange claimed his life 20 april of last year. Im a grown man, but i lost my hero. Just trying to make connections. Thanks for your sacrafice and service. Drew Robertson

ajschaefer
05-27-18, 08:35 PM
Bob,

My dad was in Chu Lai I believe he came over in Feb 1966 as well. Alan F Schaefer He was part of MAG 12 Did you know him?

ajschaefer
05-27-18, 08:38 PM
Ron,

My dad was in Chu Lai I believe he came over in Feb 1966 as well. Alan F Schaefer He was part of MAG 12 and MATCU 67. Did you know him? Always looking for any updates, photos or people that knew him.