PDA

View Full Version : Mother with firsthand knowledge of serving America sees her own two sons off to the w

thedrifter
01-15-07, 07:25 AM
Mother with firsthand knowledge of serving America sees her own two sons off to the war
KTBS Shreveport

It could be considered a mother's worst nightmare. Watching your two sons head off to war. But, for one Shreveport woman, it isn't a nightmare at all. It's a feeling of overwhelming pride. In fact, the entire family knows what it means to serve.

Before serving tea in her Glenwood village and tea room, Sharon McCullar was serving her country in the Vietnam War.

The father of her two son also enlisted during wartime. Now, her sons have done the same.

20 year old Ben and 17 year old John have both joined the Marines.
Ben left last week, and John leaves in May.

McCullar says she couldn't be more proud of her sons. But, with that pride, comes a little fear. The day after seeing Ben set off for training. She saw the troop surge announced on television.

"The situation in Iraq is unacceptable to the American people and it is unacceptable to me," said McCullar.

But, McCullar says the president's announcement to send more than 20 thousand additional troops to Iraq didn't exactly come as a surprise.

"I knew the day they enlisted, that they would face the reality of being in Baghdad," she said.

John McCullar says his nervousness is outweighed by his excitement to fulfill a lifelong dream. The 17 year old is a senior at Byrd High School. He leaves for recruit training May 7, a little more than a week before his graduation ceremony. But, it was his decision to leave early.

"It's a challenge. There's a brotherhood. I love that," he said.

He says the Marines are like a family, truly supportive.

But none more supportive than the mother who knows firsthand what its like to serve.

Story Updated: Jan 14, 2007 at 9:28 PM EST

Ellie