PDA

View Full Version : Troops prepare for deployment

thedrifter
01-11-07, 06:51 AM
Troops prepare for deployment
By David Willis
BBC News, California

Among the group of marines who have gathered at a sports bar in Oceanside, near Camp Pendleton, to watch the president's speech are two young men who will be part of the first new deployment to Iraq.

Brendon Ladham, and Justin Haas are both eager to heed the call of their commander-in-chief.

"The president knows what he's doing," Brendon told me "A lot of people have come together to take position. I am up and ready to go. "

Justin nodded in agreement.

"This thing has been drawn out too far, too long and we have lost too many people.

"I think the sooner we can get in there in force and do what we have to do the sooner we are going to bring everyone home".

Waiting families

There was no mention of bringing troops home from Mr Bush though - something everyone here seems keen to hear about.

Some of the troops have been over there for more than a year so I'm prepared for another long deployment

Lynne Van Trieste

Wife of US marine

Although they support the war the people of Oceanside fear the president's new strategy for Iraq is likely to amount to not only more deployments there, but longer deployments as well.

Lynne Van Trieste's husband and son have both been sent to Iraq.

When I spoke to her at her home in Oceanside she was doing her best to remain stoical: "If they need to go and give support again that is fine. I'll just keep the home fires burning and be here when they get back", she told me.

"Some of the troops have been over there for more than a year so I'm prepared for another long deployment".

Some marines are already preparing to leave the base the first of the new deployments to Iraq will begin here next week.

Ellie