PDA

View Full Version : Combat boots or running shoes

ianmusto
01-10-07, 03:03 PM
I was wondering if I should just go buy a pair of combat boots to get used to running in them. Do you actually ever run with these on. I see more and more pictures of people running with running shoes. Anyone who just got back from boot could you tell me if you think its a good idea.

SkilletsUSMC
01-10-07, 03:10 PM
I was wondering if I should just go buy a pair of combat boots to get used to running in them. Do you actually ever run with these on. I see more and more pictures of people running with running shoes. Anyone who just got back from boot could you tell me if you think its a good idea.

Yes Marines run boots and utes, but not really so much in boot camp. You will still do plenty of running in your boots though, not to mention going to the fleet or Iraq.

DWG
01-10-07, 03:47 PM
Not a bad idea to get used to boots; like ankle weights-make running in tennys that much easier!:)

SkilletsUSMC
01-10-07, 03:50 PM
Ill say this, if you are an experienced runner then switch to boots and a daypack, if not, then stay in shoes and let your shins get used to running in the first place... Hope this helps

FistFu68
01-10-07, 04:38 PM
:evilgrin: GET YOURSELF,A GOOD PAIR OF COMBAT BOOT'S;WEAR THEM 24/7! CHIT EVEN HAVE SEX WITH THEM ON~(LOL)!!!THEN WHEN IT COME'S TIME TO RUN,IN YOU'R SNEAKER'S;YOU'R YOUNG AZZ WILL FEEL LIKE YOU'R FEET,AND THE REST OF YOU ARE ON R&R!!! OOHRAH~10/FOUUUU:iwo:

ianmusto
01-10-07, 08:47 PM
It does help thank you.

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-11-07, 02:31 AM
Unless you are running under 24:00 or so in the three mile, stay in running shoes. (It would best to go to a running store to be fitted for the proper shoe) If you can do that, running in boots may help some. Personally I wouldn't run in anything other than hi-tec if I knew it was coming or it was actual training.

YLDNDN6
01-11-07, 11:31 AM
Looking back on it all, If I had known in advance, I would have gotten a pair of combat boots and worn them 24/7 just for the experience of breaking in a pair of them. Did anyone else experience gawd-awful foot pain while breaking in their boots? I felt like my foot bones were being rearranged to better suit the needs of the Marine Corps, so I just kept my mouth shut about it. Some sort of evolution took place with my feet, too, because now all I can wear is boots of some sort. Anything else feels like some sort of torture device to me!

killerinstinct
01-11-07, 02:56 PM
usually you are in formation runs when running in boots and utes and if you ahve ever done a formation run its like granny speedwalking. theres nothing really needed to prepare for this.. but im sure its more difficult to run in high heels but dont quote me on that i dont know

Depumo
02-15-07, 06:25 PM
When you get to the Island, you won't PT on the field with boots. When you are marching somewhere you will sometimes Double Time it. The Drill Instructors will punish you by making you run in boots with your rifles as well. At the end of basic you will run a 1 1/2 mile in boots and utes. If you don't like running in boots, don't mess up and become a road guard. They have to run to the beginning of the formation and usually your whole Co will go to the same place. When you run at home it's best to run with boots that fit you well. That will increase your run time on the IST and the PFT.

SkilletsUSMC
02-15-07, 06:54 PM
usually you are in formation runs when running in boots and utes and if you ahve ever done a formation run its like granny speedwalking. theres nothing really needed to prepare for this.. but im sure its more difficult to run in high heels but dont quote me on that i dont know

Yeah right!

We have run boots and utes in formation at the 6 minute/mile pace up and down the alpha shelf so fast I wanted to die.

Quinbo
02-15-07, 06:56 PM
Run in running shoes.... not basketball shoes.... not boots, running shoes. If you are interested in working out in boots, then get a canteen and put on your boots and take long walks. Running in boots and even worse sprinting in boots when you body is not conditioned will cause shin splints and it is painful. Maybe a high school miler or amatuer XK runner could jump into a pair of boots and go bang out 3 miles no problem but it you are not one of them then stick to the shoes. As far as the hi-tech boots go... they practically are shoes but don't offer the arch support and cushion needed for daily run training.

Good question! Stay motivated!

ZSKI
02-19-07, 07:09 PM
Looking back on it all, If I had known in advance, I would have gotten a pair of combat boots and worn them 24/7 just for the experience of breaking in a pair of them. Did anyone else experience gawd-awful foot pain while breaking in their boots? I felt like my foot bones were being rearranged to better suit the needs of the Marine Corps, so I just kept my mouth shut about it. Some sort of evolution took place with my feet, too, because now all I can wear is boots of some sort. Anything else feels like some sort of torture device to me!

I didn't god dam did you get the right size from issue?

Preyhunter
02-22-07, 02:07 PM
Lord no, don't run in boots if you don't have to. I still believe to this day that running in combat boots was the main contributor to me being medically separated due to stress fractures in both...

millar123
03-10-07, 07:00 AM
As Marines we do a lot of boots and utes runs and they are usually far. But after boot camp your boots will feel like shoes.

Marine84
03-10-07, 07:52 AM
usually you are in formation runs when running in boots and utes and if you ahve ever done a formation run its like granny speedwalking.[quote]

granny speedwalking HELL - not when you're in the back of the platoon.

[quote=killerinstinct] but im sure its more difficult to run in high heels but dont quote me on that i dont know

You know you've tried it! Don't lie!

Marine84
03-10-07, 07:56 AM
Did anyone else experience gawd-awful foot pain while breaking in their boots? I felt like my foot bones were being rearranged to better suit the needs of the Marine Corps, so I just kept my mouth shut about it.

I know I did! And the steel toed ones I got when I got out in the fleet...........whew!

millar123
03-20-07, 12:48 AM
I know I did! And the steel toed ones I got when I got out in the fleet...........whew!

Yeah running in safety really sucks because the steel toe cuts the middle of your foot. At least mine do.