PDA

View Full Version : Married in recruit training...

BR34
01-08-07, 07:36 AM
Hello, I will be married while in boot camp and I'm wondering if I will recieve BAH and BAS pay.

Any insight is appreciated.

bigdog43701
01-08-07, 08:06 AM
ok..did i fall this am and bump my head? i would swear that this poolee says he's getting married WHILE in boot camp! ok i got it...he's marring the Marine Corps.

DWG
01-08-07, 09:06 AM
That should be an interesting honeymoon, either way!:scared:

HardJedi
01-08-07, 10:41 AM
I can't answer your question, sorry. I can tell you this though. Very few guy's I ever met who were married going into their first enlistment, left their first enlistment still married. Not saying it can't be done, just be prepared for a rough road. ( of course, I was an 0311, and that is NOT conducive to a good relationship)

Sgt Leprechaun
01-08-07, 11:33 AM
Ha! "...Married to my M-16"...LOL.

Listen to HardJedi. If you can avoid being married, esp as an 18-19 year old Private (if you make it), you'll be better off, so will your fellow Marines, and alot happier.

BR34
01-08-07, 11:48 AM
I'm a different breed than the average recruit. Different by being nearly 25 with a wife and child to be exact. Not being married isn't an option. Just wanting to sure up the financial situation as much as possible.

DWG
01-08-07, 11:50 AM
Upon further review; I think he means he IS married and he is heading to Boot Camp, thus "I will be married in Boot Camp" as well as being married all the rest of the time too. Takes the fun out of the question but nonetheless, I've never seen any lower enlisted that had what you cold call a "good" marriage. Too much strain on a starter marriage without the military responsibilites added; and unless the pay is enormously higher than when I was in, it would have to be hard for two to survive on what enlisted make-and you KNOW there will be a kid soon if not soonest! Best to hold off until you know what you are in for. Sounds too late though!:p You posted your rebuttal before I got mine in!

Marine84
01-08-07, 12:46 PM
well.............at least he won't be "open" to marry all the ones he'll "fall in love with" while he's in.

DWG
01-08-07, 12:54 PM
well.............at least he won't be "open" to marry all the ones he'll "fall in love with" while he's in.
Exactly!-what's the point of being a young Jarhead if you can't "dance" with all the young girls?:marine:

BR34
01-08-07, 01:17 PM
Well, I'll be an old Jarhead (hopefully) anyway.

I've done my share of "dancing". ;)

HardJedi
01-08-07, 01:24 PM
ahh, I am sure you think so, but nothing compared to most Marines in their first enlistment :marine:

DWG
01-08-07, 01:30 PM
ahh, I am sure you think so, but nothing compared to most Marines in their first enlistment :marine:

"THE OLDER WE GET, THE BETTER WE USED TO BE!":D

YLDNDN6
01-08-07, 02:11 PM
In answer, I don't think there is any extra pay for married recruits while they are in boot camp. Unless something has changed in the last 23 years. Incidentally, that was two wives ago!!!

Sgt Leprechaun
01-08-07, 03:36 PM
In further answer, while your age may 'help' in boot camp, you'll still be a LCpl, or below when you get to the Fleet.

Check with your recruiter to see if you draw BAS (if you do, it will be deducted, since the Corps is 'feeding' you while there). You 'may' draw BAH, but I'm really not sure. The recruiter should be able to give you the straight scoop. Those two things change like the seasons; one year yes, the next, no.

Marine84
01-08-07, 03:46 PM
come back and talk to us after you've gone to the Phillipines - but be careful - there wasn't a guy in my shop that didn't go down there and come back with the clap. Yes, even the married ones.

I'm glad I never married while I was in cause if I had married all the ones that I thought I loved....................I would probably be a rich b!tch from all of the alimony that I would be collecting now. There was just too much temptation for me...............(big evil grin)

BR34
01-08-07, 04:49 PM
In further answer, while your age may 'help' in boot camp, you'll still be a LCpl, or below when you get to the Fleet.

Check with your recruiter to see if you draw BAS (if you do, it will be deducted, since the Corps is 'feeding' you while there). You 'may' draw BAH, but I'm really not sure. The recruiter should be able to give you the straight scoop. Those two things change like the seasons; one year yes, the next, no.

I've already inquired about BAH, he told me yes, but he isn't sure about BAS.

A LCpl when I hit the fleet? That's not so bad, I was expecting to be a PVT until I had 6 months or so in.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-09-07, 05:44 AM
I was guessing LCpl. It will depend on prior college, how long your MOS school is, etc etc. Look up 'Time in Service/Time in Grade', compare that to Recruit Training and MOS schooling, and you'll have a reasonable idea of your rank when/if you are promoted (nothing is automatic, you still have to EARN the rank) by the time you hit the FMF.

Don't count on the BAH. If you get it, fine. If not, it won't be a shock.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-09-07, 06:10 AM
come back and talk to us after you've gone to the Phillipines - but be careful - there wasn't a guy in my shop that didn't go down there and come back with the clap. Yes, even the married ones.

I'm glad I never married while I was in cause if I had married all the ones that I thought I loved....................I would probably be a rich b!tch from all of the alimony that I would be collecting now. There was just too much temptation for me...............(big evil grin)

Hey..what happens in the PI is supposed to STAY in PI LOL...:scared:

2 tours...85 & 87. :bunny:

USMCBOXER
01-12-07, 01:25 PM

My thoughts exactly.

BR34
01-14-07, 01:54 PM
I was guessing LCpl. It will depend on prior college, how long your MOS school is, etc etc. Look up 'Time in Service/Time in Grade', compare that to Recruit Training and MOS schooling, and you'll have a reasonable idea of your rank when/if you are promoted (nothing is automatic, you still have to EARN the rank) by the time you hit the FMF.

Don't count on the BAH. If you get it, fine. If not, it won't be a shock.
I just looked up Time in Service/Time in Grade and only found info. on Officers. But still...very confusing, not sure what I was looking at.

*edit* Just found the Air Force's TIS/TIG chart for enlistment, I'll keep looking...

thedrifter
01-14-07, 02:15 PM
;)

Navy, Marines require counseling / permission to marry
By Cindy Fisher, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Sunday, January 14, 2007

OKINAWA - Servicemembers in Japan who want to wed can't just stop at fulfilling Japanese legal requirements. The U.S. military has its rules, as well.

Regardless of rank and of whether the partner is another servicemember, a civilian or a non-U.S. citizen, Marines and sailors on Okinawa must attend a two-day pre-marriage workshop, said Kimberly Leslie, a marriage counselor at the Marine Corps Community Services' Personal Services Center on Camp Foster.

The PSC coordinates the workshops, which Leslie said cover a range of topics - including finances, communication and Japanese marriage law - designed to build successful marriages.

Marines and sailors also must submit a marriage package through their chain of command for approval, said Gunnery Sgt. Charles Albrecht, a Marine spokesman.

These requirements are to ensure that servicemembers stationed overseas understand and comply with the host-nation laws governing marriage, Albrecht said.

Added Leslie: "It's not about trying to control our Marines and sailors; it's about helping them be successful."

When a servicemember comes to the workshop, she said, "We know that you're in love; everything is 'goo-goo-gah' - but it takes a lot of work to make a successful marriage."

One of the workshop take-aways is a guide to marriage on Okinawa that walks a servicemember through paperwork requirements and offices to visit and provides information including a list of local translators.

Master Sgt. Jeff Loftin, a Kadena Air Base spokesman, said airmen there also have some additional requirements to fulfill before they can marry. They must complete a pre-marriage checklist that includes a medical check-up and a legal briefing.

The briefing covers the responsibilities of supporting dependents and, if necessary, U.S. immigration and naturalization laws, Loftin said.

Commanders also talk with airmen marrying local nationals to ensure they understand their benefits and responsibilities, he said.

Unit commanders encourage all airmen also to take advantage of the premarital counseling offered by military chaplains, Loftin said.

Attending premarital classes or counseling is not mandatory for soldiers, but Army Community Services provides numerous classes and counseling for newlyweds, said U.S. Army Japan spokesman Sgt. 1st Class Nathan Maxfield.

Capt. Kelvin Todd, an Army chaplain, said chaplains provide secular and nonsecular premarital counseling that soldiers are encouraged to attend. Couples are more likely to listen to and benefit from premarital counseling if it's voluntary, he said.

Whether it's required or not, "every couple should seek out premarital counseling," he said.

Ellie

slowrider
02-27-07, 06:16 PM
HMMMMMMMMMMM I don't recall clapping at anything in the PI.. although i had a few that clapped back at me .LMFAO

blackdog00
02-27-07, 06:43 PM
come on devildogs the man is in love!!! i was married in my first tour
an it work out find!! If she love you it will work out!!

TazMatt
02-27-07, 06:49 PM
I got married about six months after I was in the Corp. I went to Okinawa and still was married ,spent six years in total and was still married.I got a divorce 12 years after I got out of the Corp.So it all depends on the two people getting along. Sgt.Matt U.S.M.c. 1969-1975