PDA

View Full Version : Runnning

Akino Tamashii
01-03-07, 01:23 PM
I've been running, trying to get ready for boot camp and I improved my time but I am still having trouble with breathing. It's not a medical type of problem, I have just smoked for the past couple of years so after a mile or so I start wearing down. I was wondering if anyone out there has had the same problem or would know of a good breathing pattern beside the IN-IN-O-U-T pattern most people use. Any input is greatly appreciated.

The1stSgt
01-03-07, 01:45 PM
A couple of days a week do nothing but 60 yrd dashes. Rest a couple of minutes between dashes and do as many as you body will allow you.

This will build you lungs strength and VO2 max (ability to intake and utilize oxygen).

If you haven't already done so, STOP SMOKING!

rktect3j
01-03-07, 02:11 PM
I agree. Quit now before you go in. If you can not quit long term now as in you are going to boot in 4 months then quit one month before boot. Just do it. This way when you get out of boot you will have quite for more then the three moths of training. You may be able to cheat when you are a civy but in boot there will be no smokes. Let that crap out of your body prior to going to boot.

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-03-07, 06:26 PM
Type HIIT into google and do what you see.

Akino Tamashii
01-03-07, 10:21 PM
I appreciate all the help. I quit last week and I leave for boot camp the 15th so I expect to a little trouble but from what I've read I should at least be able to help myself out a little bit. Thanks.

Akino Tamashii
01-03-07, 10:35 PM
By the way, Echo Four Bravo, thank you very much for the HIIT pointer. I had never heard of it and I have found some very useful info to help my situation. Same for The1sgt, very useful indeed.

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-04-07, 12:39 AM
HIIT is great. It is what I do. You get in shape quickly and it doesn't take hours at a time.

killerinstinct
01-11-07, 02:48 PM
well in the fleet and doing a formation run early in the morning when it was freezing.. it was cigarettes that made me finish just hinking of that great puff at the end of the run did something for me... :nerd: