PDA

View Full Version : Promotion Question

RJOHNSON
01-02-07, 11:32 AM
I have signed a contract to be a 92-day reservist. I was wondering, how do I get promoted in the reserves while in college.

rvillac2
01-02-07, 11:41 AM
You will still drill 1 weekend/month while you attend school. You will get promoted on the same schedule as any other reservist. If you make PFC early, you may have a chance to go to your MOS school as a L/Cpl.

RJOHNSON
01-02-07, 11:50 AM
Thanks that's great because I'm going in as a PFC.

RJOHNSON
01-02-07, 12:08 PM
So how long would it take to put on L/Cpl?

Marine84
01-02-07, 01:13 PM
you gotta earn 'em honey unless they're just handing out rank these days

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-02-07, 04:24 PM
LCPL is handed out. I think it is 9 months, but I would have to look to see. If you don't do anything stupid you'll be a LCPL before you've been in a year as a contract PFC. Then you'll have a while to wait before you pick up Cpl.

STA0311
01-02-07, 04:50 PM
You can be a Sgt. in 2 years...we had one in our unit when I was on active duty. But he was a worthless POS that couldn't do anything but get a squad killed in the field. So just be mindful that with rank comes responsibility and leadership requirements. If you dont have those, IT IS OK TO ADMIT THAT YOU ARE TOO BOOT TO HAVE THOSE SKILLS YET then dont go for a board. Show interest to your command, but admit that you would like more time to learn more duties. And go to as many schools as you can!

SEMPER

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-02-07, 06:48 PM
Aww, I wasn't thinking about board Marines. I don't like the process. You should be in at least 2 to get Cpl, even at a board and in my mind no first term Marine should have three stripes.

RJOHNSON
01-02-07, 07:21 PM
Thanks for everything!