PDA

View Full Version : I love it how Marine Corps brass doesn't care about being politically correct

Accord
12-27-06, 09:15 PM
"It's quite fun to fight 'em, you know. It's a hell of a hoot. It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right up front with you, I like brawling."
-Lt. Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Now that's a general i'd love to be led by.:thumbup:

baronius
12-27-06, 10:03 PM
I have to disagree with you, Accord. I would be a bit wary about serving under any general who thinks it's "fun" to kill people. The men I know who have returned from war whom I consider my heroes certainly don't see it as fun. No offense but in my opinion the ideal Marines and soldiers understand that theirs is a tough job that they are willing to do, because somebody has to do it. Obviously killing people in war is necessary but it should be looked upon with sobriety and reverence, being as it is a heroic sacrifice, and not as "fun." I want to be a Marine because the Marine Corps ideals of honor and courage and duty appeal to me, not because I want to sound like a bad***.

Accord
12-27-06, 10:23 PM
I have to disagree with you, Accord. I would be a bit wary about serving under any general who thinks it's "fun" to kill people. The men I know who have returned from war whom I consider my heroes certainly don't see it as fun. No offense but in my opinion the ideal Marines and soldiers understand that theirs is a tough job that they are willing to do, because somebody has to do it. Obviously killing people in war is necessary but it should be looked upon with sobriety and reverence, being as it is a heroic sacrifice, and not as "fun." I want to be a Marine because the Marine Corps ideals of honor and courage and duty appeal to me, not because I want to sound like a bad***.
I'm sure Lt. Gen. Mattis would like to hear your thoughts on the matter. Send him an e-mail and then post the reply.

Marines have a sense of humor that no civilian is capable of understanding and if you haven't realized it already then you'll realize it very quickly. There is a reason "napalm sticks to kids" is one of the most popular cadences of all time.

Ever see one of those videos on Youtube of Marines in combat in places like Fallujah? When they're sending rounds down range they're not looking at it with a "sense of reverence and sobriety" they're yelling "GET SUM!!! OOORAH!!!"

jackson07
12-27-06, 10:27 PM
I just read that quote a few minutes ago. Good find!

baronius
12-27-06, 10:34 PM
I'm sure Lt. Gen. Mattis would like to hear your thoughts on the matter. Send him an e-mail and then post the reply.

Marines have a sense of humor that no civilian is capable of understanding and if you haven't realized it already then you'll realize it very quickly. There is a reason "napalm sticks to kids" is one of the most popular cadences of all time.

Ever see one of those videos on Youtube of Marines in combat in places like Fallujah? When they're sending rounds down range they're not looking at it with a "sense of reverence and sobriety" they're yelling "GET SUM!!! OOORAH!!!"
I guess when I think of my military heroes I think of men like General Robert E. Lee of the C.S.A. (although not a Marine but someone every true American should imitate) and I could not imagine him saying something like that. I understand if it is said in a joking manner but it seems rather wreckless. Such statements might actually be detrimental to our cause.

Please keep in mind that you are still a civilian, not a Marine, and by your own admission are "incapable of understanding" such a statement.

yellowwing
12-27-06, 10:42 PM
I guess when I think of my military heroes I think of men like General Robert E. Lee of the C.S.A. (although not a Marine but someone every true American should imitate) and I could not imagine him saying something like that. I understand if it is said in a joking manner but it seems rather wreckless. Such statements might actually be detrimental to our cause.

Please keep in mind that you are still a civilian, not a Marine, and by your own admission are "incapable of understanding" such a statement.
Our warrior spirit is hard to understand if your not in it. You've been asking about OCS. But I'll tell you, you still got a lot to learn.

Accord does have that spirit.