PDA

View Full Version : Soldiers on the ground prod Gates for more help

thedrifter
12-21-06, 07:28 PM
December 21, 2006
Soldiers on the ground prod Gates for more help

The Associated Press

BAGHDAD — Defense Secretary Robert Gates is hearing doubts from war commanders about what could be accomplished by a possible increase of U.S. troops in Iraq, but some of the troops on the ground say it would be a good idea.

“Sir, I think we need to just keep doing what we’re doing,” said Spc. Jason T. Green, with the 101st Military Intelligence Brigade Combat Team of the 1st Infantry Division. “I really think we need more troops here. With more presence on the ground, more troops might hold them off long enough to where we can get the Iraqi army trained up.”

During an hourlong question-and-answer session with about 15 soldiers from the 1st Cavalry Division, the 1st Infantry Division and the 10th Mountain Division, Gates got a roomful of nods when he asked if beefing up U.S. strength would be helpful.

“More troops would help us integrate the Iraq army into patrols more,” said Pfc. Cassandra Wallace, from the 10th Mountain Division.

Adding five or more combat brigades, or roughly 20,000 troops, to the 140,000 already there is just one option being considered.

After meeting with top U.S. generals at Camp Victory, Gates said Wednesday that he had only begun to determine how to reshape U.S. war policy. “We discussed the possibility of a surge and the potential for what it might accomplish,” he told reporters.

He acknowledged that rushing thousands more Americans to the battlefront could prompt Iraqis to slow their effort to take control of their country, calling that “clearly a consideration” in mapping out future strategy.

“The commanders out here have expressed a concern about that,” Gates said.

Top U.S. commanders also have worried that even a short-term troop increase might bring only a temporary respite to the violence — or none at all — while creating shortages of fresh troops for future missions.

Gen. George Casey, the top U.S. commander in Iraq and one of several generals who met with Gates, said he supports boosting troop levels only when there is a specific purpose for their deployment.

“I’m not necessarily opposed to the idea, but what I want to see happen is when, if we do bring more American troops here, they help us progress to our strategic objectives,” Casey told reporters during a news conference with Gates and military leaders.

Gen. John Abizaid, top U.S. commander in the Middle East, said the military is “looking at every possible thing that might influence the situation to make Baghdad in particular more secure.”

In addition to a possible short-term troop increase to bring the escalating violence in Baghdad and Anbar province under control, President Bush is considering removing U.S. combat forces and accelerating the training and equipping of Iraqi security forces. Military leaders are also considering an increase in the number of American advisers for Iraqi security forces.

Echoing Casey and other commanders, Bush said he would only agree to a temporary troop surge if an achievable mission could be defined.

Meeting with Iraqis

Later Thursday, Gates talked with Iraqi officials on Thursday about possible additional military assistance for the embattled government and assured them of continued U.S. support.

Briefing reporters after his session with Iraqi leaders, Gates said the focus of the discussions was “mainly on the overall approach, including the possibility of some additional assistance.”

But he was vague about the type of assistance discussed, and said no specific numbers of extra troops were discussed.

“We were really talking in broad terms,” he said.

“The Iraqi government is determined to improve the security of the people here in Iraq, and above all here in Baghdad,” Gates added after meeting with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, Defense Minister Abdul Qadir and members of the Iraqi Security Council.

Ellie

thedrifter
12-21-06, 07:29 PM
December 20, 2006

Iraq is top priority, Gates says
Afghanistan ‘at risk,’ transformation must continue, he says

By Gordon Lubold
Staff writer

Defense Secretary Robert Gates, sworn in Monday as the Pentagon’s new boss, issued a statement to all Defense Department personnel the very next day that made clear the war in Iraq is his primary focus and that the violence there “must be contained and reduced.”

“Failure in that part of the world would be a calamity that would haunt our nation, impair our credibility, and endanger Americans for decades to come,” Gates wrote. He also acknowledged that progress already made in Afghanistan is “now at risk” from a resurgent Taliban, and vowed to prevent extremists from taking over that nation again. Gates, a former CIA director, also indicated that transformation of the military, begun under his predecessor, Donald Rumsfeld, must continue.

To the troops and the uniformed leaders he will lead, Gates said he will listen carefully to their opinions as he moves forward, a signal that he wants to do business differently than Rumsfeld, who was criticized for being hard on his senior leaders — and often rejecting their input.

“Over the years of leading big institutions, I have learned something important: Leaders come and go, but professionals endure long after the appointees are gone. The key to successful leadership, in my view, is to involve in the decision making process, early and often, those who ultimately must carry out the decisions. I will do my best to do that.”

Gates spent Wednesday in Iraq, an unannounced trip to the battlefront, discussing with U.S. commanders the possibility of boosting U.S. troop strength in Iraq. But, he said, no decisions have been made.

The full text of Gates’ message

“It is an honor, and a humbling responsibility, to take the helm of this department in a time of war and to lead men and women who have dedicated their lives to protecting our country. In the coming weeks, I will visit some of the key military posts and commands at home and abroad, as well as consult with this department’s senior civilian and military leaders and staff. I look forward to meeting and hearing from the soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines who are the true heart and strength of America’s armed forces. As the president has asked for my unvarnished advice, I expect the same of you.

“Over the years of leading big institutions, I have learned something important: Leaders come and go, but professionals endure long after the appointees are gone. The key to successful leadership, in my view, is to involve in the decision-making process, early and often, those who ultimately must carry out the decisions.

“I will do my best to do that.

“This department is always engaged in a host of different activities that aid our nation’s defense. All are important, all are valuable. The most important issue we face is the situation in Iraq. By removing the brutal and dangerous regime of Saddam Hussein, and by confronting the extremists and insurgents who have sought to derail any progress since, the United States and our coalition partners have provided the iraqi people a unique opportunity to have a decent future.

“The violence in Iraq must be contained and reduced. Failure in that part of the world would be a calamity that would haunt our nation, impair our credibility, and endanger Americans for decades to come. A successful outcome in Iraq, one that will help protect our nation and serve her long-term interests, will require all elements of America’s national power to work more effectively together, in cooperation with allies and partners in the region.

“Afghanistan has made great strides since being liberated five years ago, but that progress is now at risk. The United States and our allies have made a commitment to prevent the Taliban from taking over Afghanistan again. We intend to keep it. How we face these and other challenges over the next two years will determine whether Iraq, Afghanistan, and other nations at a crossroads will pursue paths of gradual progress, or whether the forces of extremism and chaos will become ascendant.

“As we address these challenges, it is important that we carry forward the process of what has been referred to as defense transformation. President Bush made it a priority at the beginning of his administration to help our military become more agile, more lethal, and more expeditionary. Much has been accomplished; much remains to be done. This task remains a necessity and a priority today. It is also essential that we make every effort to ensure that tax dollars are spent wisely and carefully, and we continue to maintain and enforce ethical standards of doing business.

“In a department as large as this one, neither task will be done perfectly, but it is important that we strive to do our best. Our country is at war. I take this job with the knowledge that my decisions will have life-and-death consequences for America’s troops, as well as their families. I have accepted that responsibility, and will never forget it.

“To all of the men and women of the U.S. military: You serve in the finest traditions of those who have worn this nation’s uniform these past 230 years. It is a high honor to serve with you as secretary of defense. May God bless you and may God bless the wonderful country we have sworn an oath to protect.”

Ellie