PDA

View Full Version : worried for no reason

ianmusto
12-18-06, 09:04 PM
When I was 16, I kicked this kids car and put a dent in it. The crime was Malicious destruction of property. I completed the probation and payed 50 dollars and the thing was never put on my record and the probation records were expunged. My recruiter did the backround check, came up clean as usual and I went into MEPS with false things on my paperwork thinking I was sweet and wasnt planning on telling them. In the end I ended up confessing this to the Marine Corps Liason officer at MEPS. (Really glad that I did this) The thing is I don't think that there is any documentation of this in my paperwork still. I think it would suck really bad to be kicked out of the USMC DEP, or the USMC pending I make it for somthing that I confessed to in the first place. I brought this up with my recruiter and he said it was fine because I told them. and if they didnt put it in my paperwork they messed up. I know im probly just blowing this out of proportion but it is important to me. Any one know anything about this? could I still be at fault?

The1stSgt
12-19-06, 10:09 AM
ianmusto,

You did the right thing by coming clean about your past. You have told the correct individuals about it and all have told you to not worry about it. So, "move on".

If you still feel paranoid, get all of their names and ranks and save them for future reference if needed.

Camper51
12-19-06, 10:24 AM
Trust me in the fact that not all of us who entered the Corps had spotless records. I had a juvenile record, it was expunged AFTER I joined the Corps. I did tell my recruiter about it all and I was able to get up to a Top Secret clearance.

Juvenile records are just that, JUVENILE records. The Corps understands that and makes it's decisions based on the seriousness of the crimes committed.

If you did something stupid, like I did, you can and probably will be forgiven. However if you did something extremely serious, such as armed robbery, drug trafficing, murder, etc... I would expect that you will NOT be forgiven.

This is why juvenile records can be expunged. So that youthful indescretions don't follow you throughout your life and ruin it. Adults understand that kids sometimes do dumb things, and they have planned for it in a way that allows for those who learn from their experiences to continue on with life and not have those mistakes haunt them...

Anyone who judges me today, for what I did as a teenager, is judging the wrong man. I am not the person I was 40 years ago. I am who I am today!!!

LDO Capt
12-19-06, 11:42 AM
The reason that the charge was not put on paper is probably because a record of the charge could not be found. In the case of people having a record a waiver may be granted to "forgive" the charge...

ianmusto
12-19-06, 12:17 PM
thanks guys, all makes sense to me

danielgburgett
12-20-06, 11:08 PM
When I was 16, I kicked this kids car and put a dent in it. The crime was Malicious destruction of property. I completed the probation and payed 50 dollars and the thing was never put on my record and the probation records were expunged. My recruiter did the backround check, came up clean as usual and I went into MEPS with false things on my paperwork thinking I was sweet and wasnt planning on telling them. In the end I ended up confessing this to the Marine Corps Liason officer at MEPS. (Really glad that I did this) The thing is I don't think that there is any documentation of this in my paperwork still. I think it would suck really bad to be kicked out of the USMC DEP, or the USMC pending I make it for somthing that I confessed to in the first place. I brought this up with my recruiter and he said it was fine because I told them. and if they didnt put it in my paperwork they messed up. I know im probly just blowing this out of proportion but it is important to me. Any one know anything about this? could I still be at fault?what you need to do is go down to the county clerks office and obtain you own backround check, it only costs a couple of dollars, so if it is expunged then your backround check will be clean and you will have nothing to worry about, hope that helps, good luck.

ianmusto
12-21-06, 08:59 PM
will do thank you

even if its not on there, im still gonna make sure they know it happend