PDA

View Full Version : 03xx?

Akino Tamashii
12-17-06, 09:37 AM
I'm shipping out for MCRD PI Jan. 15th and I've already decidedon the 03 field. I want either 0351 or the anti-tank wire guided missleman but only if I cant make it to scout sniper. Are there any snipers out there that would have any advice on some things to do to try and get ready and what I would have to do? Also, any assaultman willing to share some first-hand experience to give me insight? Any input is greatly appreciated.

The1stSgt
12-17-06, 10:46 AM
Marine snipers are superior marksmen, have extreme patience, are team focused and highly disciplined.

HardJedi
12-17-06, 11:17 AM
well, lets see. work on patience, endurance, not moving for extended periods, not eating or sleeping, and endurance of all types imaginable. also, marksmanship, maksmanship marksmanship.

STA0311
12-18-06, 05:26 AM
As far as 0351's I know they are doing alot of 'changing' to that MOS. If you want to get into a STA Platoon, you need to be a physical fitness stud...280 of better on PFT. Be very common sense knowledgeable, do many MCI's, and be an overall good Marine. Be a good performer once you are in the Fleet and you can go to an INDOC if selected and try out for a Scout Sniper Platoon billet. If you get in and are completing all of you pre-sniper stuff then you may get a seat at the Scout Sniper Basic Course. But you need to mae sure that you are taking care of business prior to that. The Platoons usually do a pretty detailed background on you and they do talk to others in your unit, just like an employer would to see if you are a fake or if you are genuine.

Akino Tamashii
12-18-06, 02:05 PM
So even if I dont make it to Sniper School right out of boot camp, I can try to get it later on when I'm in a fleet?

SkilletsUSMC
12-18-06, 03:24 PM
So even if I dont make it to Sniper School right out of boot camp, I can try to get it later on when I'm in a fleet?

Most definately yes... Most snipers I know took the indoc some time on their first deployment.

Akino Tamashii
12-19-06, 01:10 PM
Awesome, thats what I wanted to hear because I have wanted to be a sniper since I was 12 years old. I appreciate all the help and info.

STA0311
12-19-06, 04:07 PM
You WONT get the SSBC out of boot camp...nor SOI, no platoon is going to waste a school slot on you if they dont know you. You better plan on being a Scout for at least 6 months in the platoon IF you get past the INDOC and then you may go from being a PIG to a HOG.

NyMarine2910
12-23-06, 02:55 AM
Both are good mos's, as an 0352 in iraq now u probably will rarely be using tow missles, u will mainly be doing 0311 ****, but 0351, thats my mos, and i love it!

kovanfleet
12-23-06, 07:43 PM
you got to be an 11 if you wanna go sniper, recon or any stuff like that. I'm on christmas leave right now from ITB and i'm training to be a 51 and its some good sh*t.

Seeley
12-23-06, 07:43 PM
Be an 0331! It's the best job in the Corps!

SkilletsUSMC
12-23-06, 10:41 PM
you got to be an 11 if you wanna go sniper, recon or any stuff like that. I'm on christmas leave right now from ITB and i'm training to be a 51 and its some good sh*t.

Bull ****...

You have to be an 03

Seeley
12-23-06, 11:47 PM
And anyone can do recon.

SkilletsUSMC
12-24-06, 12:23 AM
And anyone can do recon.

Tru-dat...

Much easier if you are an 03, but not out of the question for any MALE Marine.

STA0311
12-24-06, 01:18 AM

Thats funny considering that only about 5 guys from my Platoon were 0311's...the rest were all Weapons guys....31's, 41's, 51's, etc!

maverickmarine
12-24-06, 07:28 AM
Did something change? When I was in Recon you had to initially be a proven performer in an 03 MOS. Hell, I had to Lat. move to make it happen. Can anyone take the indoc now? Or do you mean any infantry MOS?

kovanfleet
12-24-06, 01:26 PM
when we did the MOS break down at ITB last week it said on the sheet only 11 can go recon ,security forces, presidental guard....and so on. my ssgt told me that if i was going to try the recon indoc last friday i would loose my weapons MOS.

SkilletsUSMC
12-24-06, 02:27 PM
Did something change? When I was in Recon you had to initially be a proven performer in an 03 MOS. Hell, I had to Lat. move to make it happen. Can anyone take the indoc now? Or do you mean any infantry MOS?

Yeah now anybody with a first class PFT and 1st class swim can take the indoc. Im not recon, but I think its good to give any quallified Marine a shot. They may have had a change of heart since they signed up.

SkilletsUSMC
12-24-06, 02:29 PM
when we did the MOS break down at ITB last week it said on the sheet only 11 can go recon ,security forces, presidental guard....and so on. my ssgt told me that if i was going to try the recon indoc last friday i would loose my weapons MOS.

Thats just him getting in your ass. They have a quota to make a certain amount of 31s 41s and 51s. They dont want to waste the time and effort on some one who will drop the MOS and become a 21.

STA0311
12-25-06, 09:00 AM
I remember a couple years ago USMC.mil doing a big article on an Airwinger being the only Marine to successfully pass the INDOC and get accepted into RIP. That was on LeJeune with 2nd Recon Bn.

maverickmarine
12-29-06, 07:20 AM
It's good to have more opportunity but the entire reason that we initially only had it available to the 03's is because they have a higher chance of successfully completing the required training. Remember that even if you make it through Indoc, you're still along way away. So, if you're a proven performer out there as on 03' you're already doing some of the basics that are required and generally in better shape. This was something I liked about us in particular as opposed to the other services where it didn't matter if you were a cook, candlestick maker etc.....If you pass their one test, you're in. Well, I guess we shall see how this all works out in the future.

Akino Tamashii
12-29-06, 11:50 AM
Well, I signed my MOS contract this morning and I'm going to be 0300 so all of this info will be extremely helpful in the near future. Appreciate it.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-29-06, 03:28 PM
I remember some winger back in 98 taking the indoc and making it through the process. It seems like the Cherry Point and Lejeune newspapers covered the deal because he had been trying for a long time to make it or something along those lines.

Unless I was dreaming, it isn't a new thing that you don't have to be an 03 to be Ricky Recon. (But you do have to have normal color vision, so none of it matters to me.)

Quinbo
12-30-06, 09:26 AM
Thats funny considering that only about 5 guys from my Platoon were 0311's...the rest were all Weapons guys....31's, 41's, 51's, etc!

I can recall recon coming in and holding an indoc a couple days before we graduated ITS (now SOI). 40 or so lads took the indoc and I think they picked 2.