PDA

View Full Version : Woman has a ball doing charity

thedrifter
12-17-06, 09:26 AM
Woman has a ball doing charity

By DANNY ADLER
Bucks County Courier Times
Woman has a ball doing charity

Donna Jousset said she knows what it's like to go through tough times.

And during the holidays, those tough times can be brutal, she said.

That's why the Newtown Township woman single-handedly threw a Toys for Tots charity ball Saturday night at the Rose Bank Winery on Durham Road. A tradition that began as years of get-togethers at her house turned into the semi-formal ball mainly from word of mouth, she said.

The event took Jousset about five months to put together.

Along with a handful of Marines from the Willow Grove base, members of the Bucks County business community wearing crisp, collared shirts and long, flowing dresses gathered to eat, drink and drop off plenty of toys for the 2006 Marine Corps Toys for Tots campaign.

Marine Cpl. Lee Bunting volunteered to be a part of the banquet.

“It's great to help out the kids and the community and everything,” Bunting said.

Bunting recalled one time when he dropped off toys to a group of special needs children.

“The kids were excited,” he said. “They saw us in our uniforms and Santa was with us. It's the greatest thing. It brings something to your heart.”

Applebee's Neighborhood Grill in Newtown Township donated hot trays of food and $200 in gift cards, which were raffled off, among other things, throughout the evening.

“Donna did such a great job,” Applebee's Manager Dan Shaqfeh said. “We wish we could have done more. Next year, she won't even have to lift a finger.”

Joyce Pokrywka, president of the Southampton Lioness Club women's group, was impressed by the banquet.

“I love stuff like this — to see how people are raising money for people who need it,” Pokrywka said. “Children should have a happy Christmas.”

Christine Bradley, a representative from the Buckingham Wawa, befriended Jousset just five months ago. After hearing how Jousset started the tradition out of her house, Bradley was more than happy to contribute.

“I felt it was a great cause and I was more than happy to help,” Bradley said. “I'm here to support the children, Toys for Tots and the Marines.”

Dr. Steven Salvatico, of ChiroPro Chiropractic Center, would have come to any event to support the troops, he said.

“[Toys for Tots] is another indicator of how benevolent our military is,” Salvatico said.

The dozens of attendees had to bring a toy and pay a fee at the door to enter. All the proceeds went straight to Toys for Tots, Jousset said. Visitors were greeted by an open bar and a plentiful array of buffet food donated by local businesses.

When asked what her motives for the ball were, Jousset turned emotional.

“I'm a single mom,” she said. “Toys for Tots is dear to my heart.”

Years ago, Jousset found herself in tough times and struggled to give her daughter the Christmas she deserved, Jousset said. Now, she wants to give to the needy children in an attempt to make their holidays special and memorable.

Giving children presents gives them hope for the future — and that future “begins with imagination,” she said.

“It went wonderfully,” Jousset said as the event came to close. “We got the toys for the kids, right? And that's all that matters.”
Danny Adler can be reached at 215-949-4205 or dadler@phillyBurbs.com.

December 17, 2006 7:01 AM

Ellie