PDA

View Full Version : Dental Exam

Moderboater
12-13-06, 11:52 AM
In recieving, what all does the dental exam consist of?

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-13-06, 03:57 PM
It is a typical exam. They will xray your mouth and look for any problems. They will call you in later for any work that needs to be done.

tntmondy
12-13-06, 04:32 PM
Beware of Navy Dentist!!!! When I was in recruit training a Navy dentist told me I had a cavity. I said "Sir I don't believe those are my xrays." He quoted my ssn to me. I asked him to look in my mouth just to be sure. He did and sure enough they were not my xrays. I didn't have a cavity. I have a major fear of dentists and even being in recruit training I asked. I was respectfull, but I needed them to be sure.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-13-06, 10:43 PM
tntmondy, you aren't the only one. I did have a cavity, on the left side upper, near the back. They numbed my mouth, and the drilled into a tooth on the right side of my face. So, watching out for those guys is a good idea.

Marine84
12-14-06, 07:41 AM
Yeah when they took my lower wisdom teeth, the guy hit something that hurt like hell - he asked me if it hurt - I told him it hurt like a MF - he put in my dental record that I was agressive.

Moderboater
12-14-06, 08:59 AM
So does that mean I need to get my dental work all done before june 11?

konman1
12-14-06, 10:14 AM
Hey, Marine84, when I got my initial dental exam, the Navy Dentist stabbed the **** out of my gum with that scraper thing, when i asked WTF, he wrote me down as aggressive too

konman1
12-14-06, 10:16 AM
Moderboater, you should be alright, although, a guy I was in Meps with was sent away and told to come back when it was fixed, he had big problems though.

Moderboater
12-14-06, 10:27 AM
Well I know I can make it through bootcamp, I am determined enough to do it..however the last dentist exam I had I had I was told I had 12 minor cavities, after getting 4 fixed..genetics suck :(

konman1
12-14-06, 10:30 AM
Dont sweat it

Moderboater
12-14-06, 10:39 AM
thats the least of my worries...I have wanted to be a united states marine since I was 4 yrs old. Its my life's goal I guess you could say.

konman1
12-14-06, 10:41 AM
I hear that, dont let anything get in your way, you will do fine

Worsham
12-15-06, 03:13 PM
Had a major dental phobia and several dental issues as a result of staying away. I went to Parris Island and was in dental recall nearly every week. I had cleanings, root canals, fillings, and a wisdom tooth pulled. I experienced no pain and the dentists were understanding as I had informed them of my phobia. I am no longer terrified to get in a dentist's chair, even then it was a welcome respite from the drill instructors. It did not present any problems for me in recruit training and they didn't make a big deal of it. I would definitely let them do it, if for no other reason than it will be absolutely free.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-15-06, 08:10 PM
Don't worry too much about the dentists. They usually don't mess anything up... I was just a rare exception. And, if they do mess you up, they are able to fix you. It sounds like you'll spend plenty of time in their chair, but it will be quck and painless for the most part.

Marine84
12-15-06, 08:23 PM
Yeah it's kinda hard to mess up a filling or to pull one that isn't half buried in meat. Don't sweat it - I don't think your teeth would be a "major" deciding factor for your passing or not. AND, as an added bonus, it's FREE if they do it!