PDA

View Full Version : Chevrons from the Old Corps

aang
12-05-06, 12:59 PM
I was watching the movie Battle Cry (1955) I noticed that in the movie they were wearing the dress blues chevrons on their alpha's. Any Old Salts know if this was correct or just Hollywood? My grandpa's alphas have the standard chevrons on them and his are from 44'. He was a cook he always said he did his job death from within!

drumcorpssnare
12-05-06, 03:35 PM
aang- Seems I was told once that back in the day, The Corps was 'very sensitive' about non-Marines appearing in a bona fide Marine Corps uniform. So, whenever Marine 'extras' were used, it was cool, because they were real Marines. But Hollywood had to 'fudge' some uniform issues to stay on the good side of HQMC. Of course I now have a bad case of CRS, so I don't remember where I heard that little tidbit.

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

Sgt Leprechaun
12-06-06, 08:32 AM
AAng...drumcorps is 'mostly' right LOL....back in the 'old days', the laws against 'wearing of the military uniform' were very strictly adhered to by Hollywood. Thus, while actors could wear authentic US uniforms, 'something' had to be 'wrong' with them, so as to go along with the law. This is also why you see all those screwed up looking ribbon bars on military folks in movies, up until about 1987 or so.

While I don't remember this specific movie (been years since I've seen it), I'm wondering, if it was originally done in black and white, and was then colorized...in which case, perhaps the colors are wrong..? Or was this originally done in color..?

SuNmAN
12-06-06, 01:24 PM
AAng...drumcorps is 'mostly' right LOL....back in the 'old days', the laws against 'wearing of the military uniform' were very strictly adhered to by Hollywood. Thus, while actors could wear authentic US uniforms, 'something' had to be 'wrong' with them, so as to go along with the law. This is also why you see all those screwed up looking ribbon bars on military folks in movies, up until about 1987 or so.

While I don't remember this specific movie (been years since I've seen it), I'm wondering, if it was originally done in black and white, and was then colorized...in which case, perhaps the colors are wrong..? Or was this originally done in color..?

I knew it !!!

In Top Gun...the Captains bars on the collars are skewed and not placed properly

always wondered

Sgt Leprechaun
12-06-06, 01:35 PM
LOL..yeah, that stuff always really bugged me until I heard the 'why' about 10 years ago. Then it made sense. Before then, I'd rant and rave..LOL

drumcorpssnare
12-06-06, 01:59 PM
Hey guys, I knew I weren't completely stoopid....just some.:D

drumcorpssnare:usmc: