PDA

View Full Version : Reserve 1345 or 0311...In college need help

Paevmd
11-30-06, 02:51 PM
I am currently in the DEP, reserve 6x2 for 1345 (heavy equipment operator). I am currently in college (freshmen) but will be taking the second semester off as I ship out on Jan 8th to MCRD PI. My problem is I have a desire to become a riflemen, but told my parents I wouldnt because of college and a greater chance of being deployed while in school. My question is, is it really in my best interest to switch to an 0311 contract while still in school; or should I say with my current mos? Assuming I earn the title, I feel that i would be happy being a heavy equipment operator, but would always have the desire to be a riflemen. Any input would help.

-Will

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-30-06, 05:04 PM
The fact that you are goig to be a heavy equipment operator may well get you activated as quickly, if not more quickly, than an infantry Marine. If you want to ensure you don't get activated while you're in school, you need to wait until you graduate before you enter the military. The job you have doesn't really matter. If the Marine Corps didn't need your MOS, they would have it. Since they do have equipment operators, you can rest easy knowing that they are needed.

Paevmd
11-30-06, 05:13 PM
The fact that you are goig to be a heavy equipment operator may well get you activated as quickly, if not more quickly, than an infantry Marine. If you want to ensure you don't get activated while you're in school, you need to wait until you graduate before you enter the military. The job you have doesn't really matter. If the Marine Corps didn't need your MOS, they would have it. Since they do have equipment operators, you can rest easy knowing that they are needed.

Echo_Four_Bravo-

So I might as well just do what I really want and go 0311. Thanks for the input.

jcdc1
12-01-06, 07:04 PM
The Marine Corp will always need ground pounders. Think about where you will be more beneficial and go for it.
SEMPER FI
Pete

SkilletsUSMC
12-01-06, 08:56 PM
Echo_Four_Bravo-

So I might as well just do what I really want and go 0311. Thanks for the input.

Hell yeah... 03 all the way baby! Who cares what your folks think? Its not their life.

Paevmd
12-02-06, 09:23 AM
I called my recruiter yesterday and I am now billited for 0311... Thanks for all the advice.
-Will

LeonardLawrence
12-15-06, 11:48 PM
Will,
Congrats on the move...and doing the right thing, by YOU!:cool:

SkilletsUSMC
12-18-06, 03:41 PM
Will,
Congrats on the move...and doing the right thing, by YOU!:cool:

Yeah congrats.... Now start pushin...

danielgburgett
12-20-06, 11:20 PM
I am currently in the DEP, reserve 6x2 for 1345 (heavy equipment operator). I am currently in college (freshmen) but will be taking the second semester off as I ship out on Jan 8th to MCRD PI. My problem is I have a desire to become a riflemen, but told my parents I wouldnt because of college and a greater chance of being deployed while in school. My question is, is it really in my best interest to switch to an 0311 contract while still in school; or should I say with my current mos? Assuming I earn the title, I feel that i would be happy being a heavy equipment operator, but would always have the desire to be a riflemen. Any input would help.

-Willfew words for you, every marine is a rifleman,do what makes you happy,dont worry about deployments,if you worry about that,then you wont enjoy being a marine.and no matter what mos you have , you will always be subject to deployment.good luck, and have a merry christmas

Paevmd
12-21-06, 10:12 AM
few words for you, every marine is a rifleman,do what makes you happy,dont worry about deployments,if you worry about that,then you wont enjoy being a marine.and no matter what mos you have , you will always be subject to deployment.good luck, and have a merry christmas

danielburgett,

Thanks for the input, I should stop worrying about all the things that I have no control over. Merry Christmas to you as well.

-Will