PDA

View Full Version : How many old salts still in uniform?

ErikHeiker
11-30-06, 08:22 AM
I entered AD on Feb 1, 1973. I imagine I'm the last one from my platoon still serving. I served alongside Marines who were WWII veterens. Back then there were still enlisted pilots. Although Nam was still going on, I never made it there. A few of those who went will feel morally superior to me. Most that went will say I should count my blessings I didn't make it there. But I went where the Marine Corps sent me.

But, like most, my time in the Corps was measured in years, not decades. Newly married I didn't want to raise a family all over the world while moving every few years. So I did what most Marines do...I got out and went home. During the seperation process they try and talk you into the reserves. But Alaska didn't have a Marine Reserve unit, so I figured I was done with my military service.

After a few years I decided to check into the Guard. I had gotten my pilot's license through the aero club at El Toro and I figured being in the Guard would allow me to indulge in my love of flying. So I wound up in the Guard after 2 years and nine months. The one thing I really wanted was a flying position. Because I got my degree too late in life, the only option was enlisted positions. Nothing wrong with, as you all know. Eventually I was able to get a slot as a C-130 loadmaster.

That was 17 years ago. Today I'm still serving my country as a C-130 loadmaster. At the beginning of 2006 our squadron was involuntarily activated and sent to Bagram AF, Afghanistan. To date I have flown on over 60 combat missions and will have over 80 by the time it's over.

I'm proud that more than 34 years after I first committed to the Marine Corps (I signed up DEP Nov 1972) that I'm not only still able to serve my country, but I'm doing it as a front line flyer.

So, how many old salts out there are still serving proudly? I know I can't be the only one.

jinelson
11-30-06, 09:03 AM
Erik I am not aware of any others so you are the man. I was still active when you DEPed in, and my memory tells me that was a long long time ago. There are many here that would envy you serving in Iraq, myself I have finally come to the realization Im just too damn old. Thank you for your service and serving as a bit of an inspiration as well. Keep those young pups squared away.

Semper Fi

Jim

Sgt Leprechaun
12-02-06, 07:57 AM
Wow. "Good on ya!"

I'm 42, and went DEP 1 Jan 82. Now trying to re-enlist in the USMCR..I'm just under the age limit. I'm sure there are plenty of Marines who have me beat tho.

Will keep all posted on the progress...

DinkyDauMarine
12-13-06, 11:23 AM
God bless you Erik. I think that I read that all Marine Viet Nam vets have retired. You could be one of the oldest salts left. I miss the days when we had service numbers, before they used SSI numbers. You could tell by the number how salty the Marine was. I was 235****. Any 1******'s still out there?

thedrifter
12-13-06, 01:21 PM
God Bless You Sir!

You are in my prayers...

Ellie

devildog21345
12-13-06, 02:03 PM
62-66 Serial # 198****

CHOPPER7199
12-13-06, 06:11 PM
Hmm, Chit I'm Old,sn.1834---

Preacher
12-14-06, 03:39 PM
If so, I'm still in there working for the Air Force.

Camper51
12-14-06, 04:36 PM
I am a newbie with a 252 MSN...

I had been in for 4 years when you enlisted ErikHeiker and I was in Hawaii at the time...

BigPhil
12-14-06, 09:43 PM
61/68 192

semperfiman
12-14-06, 11:09 PM
my warrant for l/cpl has both ssn and sn 270xxxx