PDA

View Full Version : Question About Fraternization...USNA Graduate & USMC Enlisted

semperfi05m
11-27-06, 07:13 PM
Ok, here's the situation. My girlfriend, more than likely, will be attending the United States Naval Academy, they haven't accepted her for sure yet, but with the things she's recieved already, it sounds like she's almost got it. I just graduated from Parris Island on the 17th of November and I've always wanted to have a career in the Marine Corps. The problem that we have is, I know that there are many issues when dealing with officer/enlisted relationships. We have talked about getting married and our future, and with this fraternization policy..we aren't sure how everything is going to work. I guess what I was wondering was.. if she attends USNA next year, she will be there for 4 years until she graduates and is comissioned as an officer. (Her first choice would be Marine Corps, Second Lieutenant). With her not being able to be married while at USNA, if I were to not re-enlist after my 4 years are up..(I'd be out the year before she graduates, or close to it) would I be allowed to marry her after she is comissioned and re-enlist again sometime after that? Is that prohibited? I guess it kind of sounds like cheating the system, but I was just curious to see if that option was possible. If that isn't possible, I know we would be able to marry before she was comissioned, but I guess I wasn't sure if they have a time of leave before they graduate and are comissioned or if they continue schooling until the day of graduation and are comissioned right then. I'm just so confused about this..if anyone has any information at all, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

:flag: PFC Justin Blakemore

jinelson
11-27-06, 07:22 PM
Hey brother you are a Marine now and can post on Open Squad Bay everyone that will answer you is a Marine there.

Semper Fi

Jim

LivinSoFree
11-29-06, 11:27 AM
Here's the deal with the USNA (commonly referred to as "The Prick Factory"). Midshipmen are *NOT* permitted to get married while attending the academy, so that's out. However, in terms of your relationship with her, since it existed before you two entered the service, it's considered a "Prior-Exisisting Relationship," and thus you two are covered, under the letter of the order. HOWEVER- be aware that when it comes to fraternization, that Perception IS Reality, because of the effect it can have on a command structure and morale. Bottom line, go ahead and pursue this relationship if you two see fit, but realize that between the demands of the Academy on her, and the Corps on you, that your time together will be limited, and that a LOT can change in 4 years. Also keep in mind that if you two *do* end up together, you're going to have to exercise some *serious* discretion, when it comes to balancing your marraige and the demands of the service- especially in a base town.

That said, familiarize yourself with both the Academy and Marine Corps policies on fraternization and marraige, then give it a shot, if you still want to. I wish you the best of luck.

bsktbll2006
02-12-09, 07:46 PM
i have a question about fraternization. if me and my friend were both PFC's togehter, then he got busted down, and i pick up corporal. so Im a cpl now and he is now i PVT, but we knew eachother as PFC's, is that considered Fraternization?

rvillac2
02-12-09, 08:52 PM
You need to fill out your profile so we roughly know who we're talking to.

Marine84
02-12-09, 09:17 PM
I'm just so confused about this..

You must be confused! Everything says CPL except THIS!?!?!?!?!

awbrown1462
02-12-09, 09:58 PM
I'm just so confused about this..

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images_ln/misc/images_ln/spacer.gif

You must be confused! Everything says CPL except THIS!?!?!?!?!

Danman
02-17-09, 03:04 AM
Well look at the date this thread was brought back to life. it was 3 years old... so that explains alot.. oh yeah he is a Cpl according to MOL