PDA

View Full Version : I've got a problem

BR34
11-26-06, 10:36 AM
Background: <br />
I was arrested 6 years ago. Most of my charges were dropped but I went to court for 1 ct. simple burglary (felony). My conviction was suspended on grounds I complete 2 years probabtion,...

rktect3j
11-26-06, 10:55 AM
Here is the thing of it. It happened. The courts recognised it. You finished the probation and the community service. Your records were then expunged of the matter in their entirety and the military acknowledges the courts rulings on this. As of that day it was expunged it really no longer exists. Don't make any more waves if you do not have to . And you do not have to. Go through with this reckless plan of yours and they may end up keeping you out permanantly. Seems like the only person with a hang up on this one is you. The phrase "honesty is the best policy" needs to be tempered with a bit of common sense here. Nobody is trying to screw you on this issue. Let it go.

I just looked at your profile. You are 22 right now and this happened 6 years ago when you were 16. Drop it. Don't never bring this up again. Never. Your past ain't there to haunt you into your grave.

BR34
11-26-06, 11:07 AM
Well the reason I'm making a big deal about this is because I'm thinking of maybe making a career in the Marine Corps. The fact that I may need a security clearance and will then have this...

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-26-06, 01:33 PM
Just listen to rktect3j. You really should be good to go.

SgtHMH
11-26-06, 04:26 PM
Go to the Sheriff office and get a copy of the record check that shows your clear. Make copys of this and give one to your recruiter and one to meps. Don't have to say anything then because it shows clearly in black and white about it.

Marine Sgt. Veteran And California State Police Officer Retired in the line of duty, S.J. Hoss

rhino1delta
11-26-06, 04:51 PM
I'd follow up with the Sheriff too, BRO. And don't worry about anything "hanging over you" when you're in. You'll have much more to concern you. And hey, you get absolution before you get into battle . . .

BR34
11-26-06, 06:02 PM
I already had a check done with the Sheriff, it was blank...nothing there. But then I've been reading about these people... <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
I almost joined the Army a few months before joining the Marine...

SgtHMH
11-26-06, 06:24 PM
Make copys of the record that shows your clean and it is clear and give them copys. You are not telling anything, it shows it there in black in white to them. What is more clear than that, than paper work.

Sgt. Hoss

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-26-06, 06:27 PM
You have to report that you were arrested. But, the conviction doesn't exist. You are not a convicted felon. Be honest about the arrest- speeding tickets, and everything else. But if you say you're a convicted felon you would then be falsifying the documents, because you are not.

BR34
11-26-06, 06:38 PM
Sgt. Hoss, the problem is that I've already been to MEPS and am already in the D.E.P. I already lied on my paperwork when I said I was never arrested. <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
So people who have recieved expungements...

ErikHeiker
11-26-06, 08:35 PM
Geez. When I was in bootcamp we had a guy who was given two choices on a manslaughter charge...go to jail or join the Marines. He decided the Marine Corps wasn't such a bad deal.

GySgtRet
11-26-06, 08:55 PM
I for one appreciate your honesty. You had merntioned in one of your posts that you think that you are too old and have to many responsibilities. What are those responsibilities exactly? From what I have read you have been given some very sound advice. I can understand your apprehension though, you want to be honest and that is a mark of intergrity exactly what the Marines Corps looks for. When I recruited back in the 80s the Marines Corps worked on "the whole person concept", your entitled to mistakes in your life that is how we learn to be who we are. I had some people that were questionable but made the grade, it isn't up to recruiter make sure that you are qualified only that you do. Recruiters are not doctors or lawyers unless that is their MOS and the Corps has no doctors.

ErikHeiker, mentioned that there were felons in his boot platoon so did I have them in my platoon. Back then things were a wee bit different though not that the standards were a whole lot lower the criteria were different. I know that this bugs you it would most people. I am not advising that you do or don't tell anybody anything you have to do that. It is a tough descision to make no doubt.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

SgtHopperUSMC
11-26-06, 09:39 PM
I just saw two co workers walked out of a very good gov't job because they failed to tell all. Even the small stuff. They had been working for three years here. The same people do the military background checks. I don't want to ruin your chances but someone stated that honesty is the best policy but temper it with common sense? Well why do you think they do the check anyway? They are looking for honesty. If you lie now you will probably lie later in their view. Get the paperwork and give them the copies for proof.

Keep in mind you also payed your dues. You don't forget the past but you can learn an awful lot from it.

Semper Fi, God Bless,
Hop

BR34
11-27-06, 09:41 AM
I for one appreciate your honesty. You had merntioned in one of your posts that you think that you are too old and have to many responsibilities. What are those responsibilities exactly?

I have a 4 year old and I will be married Jan. 5th. I feel that possibly getting kicked out of the Marine Corps will have such a bad impact on my life that their lives will also be negatively effected. At the time of graduating boot camp I will be 25, married for 3.5 months, with an almost 5 year old child. That's not a good point in my life to have to start from scratch. I know that the Marine Corps doesn't need me, nor will I have a huge impact on the Marine Corps. The Marine Corps will go on with or without me. My family on the other hand will suffer if I take this gamble and loose.

I just saw two co workers walked out of a very good gov't job because they failed to tell all. Even the small stuff. They had been working for three years here. The same people do the military background checks.

This is why I want to go into the Marine Corps with everything in the open. I don't want to feel that the axe can come down at any moment. I may want to stay in and retire, and I know that in a 20++ year career there will be AT LEAST one security clearance.

And to update the situation for everyone. I talked to my recruiter earlier this morning. He tried to talk me out of but I had to insist on going this route. He told me he's going to brief the MSgt and give me a call this afternoon to let me know what steps we need to take. I also have an appt. with them both tomorrow morning to sit down and discuss the things that will need to be done.

The odd thing about our conversation..even though my recruiter is probably facing a serious ass chewing, he seemed to be more worried about the stressful tone in my voice than his own well being.

Something that made me just a little bit hopeful (at this point I'm not trying to get my hopes up) is the last words my recruiter said to me; "I don't think it's going to be as big of a deal as you and me or making it out to be."--In reference to the process to get a waiver.

So...that's where I am now. Hopefully all goes well. Thanks for all the words of wisdom.

David Jameson
11-27-06, 09:50 AM
You do not have a record.

GySgtRet
11-27-06, 10:07 AM
You are now a dependent waiver too. Does your recruiter know this? Again I for one appreciate your honesty. Its is up to you.

jinelson
11-27-06, 10:43 AM
Robin you have made the right decision.

BR34
11-27-06, 01:12 PM
You are now a dependent waiver too. Does your recruiter know this? Again I for one appreciate your honesty. Its is up to you.

Yes, he had my fiance' and I fill out some paperwork and have it notarized. I should be okay there.

Thanks, jinelson.

GySgtRet
11-27-06, 01:47 PM
There is only one thing left to do.

Getr done.