PDA

View Full Version : ‘Nicole’ ready to face verdict in rape case vs US marines

thedrifter
11-26-06, 07:01 AM
‘Nicole’ ready to face verdict in rape case vs US marines

By Julie Alipala
Inquirer
Last updated 07:56pm (Mla time) 11/26/2006

ZAMBOANGA CITY--With more than a week before the final verdict is issued on the rape case she filed against four US marines, Filipino woman "Nicole" said on Sunday she had come to terms with herself, her life and her one and only judge, "the Almighty."

Spending time in La Union with some close friends and supporters, Nicole told the Inquirer over the phone on Sunday that she already accepted her fate. "I didn't ask for it, it was part of God's plan and He has reasons why these things happened to me," she said.

Nicole sounded happy when she said she was "already at peace" with herself. "But still I am seeking justice. Everything that I am doing here is all for justice, not for myself or for my family but for every Filipino," she said.

The judge handling the case is expected to hand down the verdict on Dec. 4.

Nicole said she was ready to accept the verdict. "I leave everything to God, whatever the outcome is, our Lord has His own purpose, He knows why and He has reasons why I am in this situation," she said.

Nicole admitted that the experience made her stronger. She said she learned to trust God for everything. "At first yes, it's so painful, embarrassing, so traumatic, but now I came to realize that it has a purpose, and I am on a journey discovering what this purpose God has set for me," she said.

Nicole's mother, who was with her in La Union, said her daughter became more religious after the incident. "Her deep spirituality turned her into a stronger young woman. Her experience made her a strong person," the mother said.

Nicole's mother also described their situation as similar to that of fighting a giant. "We are fighting a Goliath here. Our enemy is very powerful, very strong and the only thing we can do is to pray because we know that God is the truth. We all put our trust to our Lord," she said.

United States Ambassador to the Philippines Kristie Kenney said the outcome of the controversial Subic rape case should not tarnish the relationship between her country and the Philippines.

"We have to keep moving forward together regardless of the outcome of the legal case," Kenney told the Inquirer during a visit here on Thursday.

Kenney had granted a one-on-one interview with the Inquirer on the issue.

She said the controversial case was "absolutely emotional for everyone involved," but in the end it should be seen as a "legal case" that should not affect the relations between the Philippines and the United States.

"We have been able to handle this case, as a legal case. It doesn't have any effect on anything else," she said.

Kenney, who has been regularly visiting this city, which is Nicole's birthplace, said that despite the controversy, the relationship between the US and the Philippines remained firm. "It is becoming stronger and one legal case doesn't change that (relationship)," she said.

Prof. Ederlinda Fernandez of the Western Mindanao State University (WMSU) here said Nicole may be "an ordinary young lady from this city but her case represents the dignity of the entire Filipino women."

When asked to respond to Kenney’s comments, Fernandez said Kenney was trying to be diplomatic, an attitude that "we haven't seen or witnessed from the Philippine government."

"Our government is not as diplomatic as Kenney," Fernandez said, referring to statements issued by some Filipino government officials expressing doubt over Nicole’s allegations.

The professor said there was still danger that political considerations would influence the outcome of the case.

She said women would like to "maintain our faith in justice system" but there are "political considerations that might compromise the verdict in the name of long time ties between the US and the Philippine government."

In an indirect appeal to the judge who will issue a verdict on December 4, Fernandez said, "Nicole deserved justice after the grueling experience she and her family underwent."
Inquirer Mindanao

Ellie