PDA

View Full Version : Looking About

thedrifter
11-24-06, 07:11 PM
Looking About
By Carole Hester
Ukiah Daily Journal
Article Last Updated:

Musings from Iraq... Captain Patrick Keplinger, serving in Fallujah, Iraq, "wrote this for the Marine Corps Birthday luncheon held in Ukiah earlier this month. My Dad (Fred Keplinger, retired Ukiah Police Chief) and Freddy (Ukiah Police Officer Fred Keplinger) were there and it was a surprise to them. Wayne McBride (former Ukiah Police Captain) and helped to set it up. After talking with my Dad, it sounded like it was a very good luncheon. Hope you enjoy it. Things are good out here. Kristen and the kids are well. Kaden is walking and I will be home soon!

"Eleven years ago I was born.' November 10, 1995 -- on the 220th Birthday of the United States Marine Corps -- I became a Marine. Now as a Captain serving in Iraq, I constantly reflect on the feeling of walking across the parade deck as a young 18 year-old Private First Class. I think about all the proud young men who also became U.S. Marines before me, where they have been, the battles they fought, their careers and where they are now. Regardless the path they traveled we all share one thing in common, we are all part and will always be a family of Marines. The title of Marine is one that will last forever. It is a title that is never given, but rarely earned. Earned from the blood, sweat and tears shed throughout our lustrous history as a Corps. Not everyone can claim the title of United States Marine.

"Marines are a brotherhood made of every nationality, ethnic, economic and religious background. We dropped what once defined us and go by one name, Devil Dog. Honor, courage and commitment are now what we live by. Honor. We have the honor to wear the Eagle, Globe and Anchor over our heart. We have the honor to follow in the footsteps of the many great Marines that served our country and Corps, many of whom are sitting in this very room. We have the honor to be called United States Marines. Courage. We have the courage to serve in any clime and place. The courage to leave our families behind while we deploy keeping the world safe. We have the courage to stand up for what is right and unleash our wrath towards the wrong. Commitment. We have the commitment to protect the weak and innocent. We have the commitment to keep America safe and free. Our sacrifices have ensured America's freedom for the last 231 years. We live by and are known for our motto, Semper Fidelis -- Always Faithful. It is known by the world that we are the 911 force and will accomplish anything that we are asked to do.

"If you have to associate the Marine Corps with one image that encompasses all which we are about, it would be that of Joe Rosenthal's Flag Rising over Iwo Jima. This defining moment in time, 1/400th of a second, speaks to what the Corps is. If you ask any person off the street about this photograph, they would most likely reply that it is six Marines on top of Mt Suribachi raising the American Flag during WWII. Few know that there were only five Marines that day; the sixth person was Jack Bradley, a Navy Corpsman. The fact that there was a Corpsman present for this defining moment speaks to how our brothers in blue are true Marines at heart. They care for the wounded, listen to our problems and follow us into battle.

"One particular Corpsman that I have a special bond with is sitting in your presence right now, my father, Fred Keplinger. I learned most of life's important lessons from my Dad. He taught me the importance of service, patriotism, humility and humanity. He is the biggest influence as to why I am serving in the Marine Corps today. I think that if he could do it all over again he would have been a Marine; however he does not ever regret the fact that he had the honor of taking care of Marines. He lived by the words Semper Fidelis. I am so proud of my Dad. He has been the voice of reason and support through my journey of service, especially being out here in Iraq.

"So, what is happening out here in Iraq from someone on the ground? Well, despite what you read about in the paper or see on the news, we are making head way. I see the affect first hand with the Iraqis. I have had the pleasure of working side by side with many of the Iraqi Police, Soldiers and Border Agents. When asked if we are winning the war in Iraq one must ask themselves what exactly is the mission out here? Counter Insurgency Operations -- well, we have captured Saddam Hussein; he has been tried and sentenced to death. Al Zarqawi is dead and many of his henchmen are running for their lives. Building an Iraqi Security Force. This has been a difficult road but the service members serving with the Iraqi forces are making great strides in the rebuilding. So are we winning? I say yes.

"For me, I am the Iraqi Security Forces Communications Planner for Multi National Forces-West. I have three teams that travel throughout our Area of Operations training the Iraqis about communication. While on my visits to several different Iraqi camps, my teams and I have enjoyed conversations about America, John Wayne, action movies and music videos. We have shared meals and talked about our families. At every place that we have visited, we have been welcomed with great hospitality. The Iraqis have been very appreciative of our help and our presence.

"I will come home next month with many memories of my travels and the people that I have met. This deployment has not been all fun. There have been the moments of whizzing bullets, incoming rockets and mortars and great sadness. As you know we will not be returning home with all of our brothers. We have lost many Marines in this war. Those Marines and their families gave the ultimate sacrifice, one which will not go in vain. So, on this day of celebration, I ask that you please remember all of our brothers who have given their life for the good of all. One way I try and pay tribute to Marines who are no longer with us, I raise a glass and drink in celebration and in remembrance and pour some of my drink onto the earth for my brothers. This year with the two beers that we are given to celebrate, I will again pour some out for Marines who are no longer with us.

"Well Marines, duty calls. I hope that you had a wonderful Birthday. Remember to buy your Corpsman a drink (for me). Thank you all for your service and support from all of us Marines in Iraq. Happy Birthday and Semper Fidelis."

Family togetherness... Rick and Kathy Allan, musicians extraordinaire, are together in Mendocino College's Masterworks Chorale presentation of an extraordinary piece of music, "The Armed Man; A Mass for Peace (Karl Jenkins) that is in performance with Ukiah Symphony's Winter Solstice concert Saturday, Dec. 2 (8 p.m.) and Sunday, Dec. 3 (3 p.m.) at the college. Rick is directing the number while Symphony Orchestra Conductor Les Pfutzenreuter is on sabbatical.

Rick and Kathy were also together when they took their son, Matt, to the British Isles for a graduation gift. They visited Scotland, Wales and Ireland. They did something most people just dream about, they rented a cottage in each country and had a great time exploring. Matt is a talented drummer.

More music... The Rev. Larry Ballenger, a most talented horn player and his equally talented pianist wife, Judy, spent some time with Ukiahan's Joe and Elsie Steele at their Colorado home and the guys played in the Lake City Band Concert. The foursome attended the Silverton 25th Annual Rocky Mountain brass Band Festival, a band of professionals from all over the US who meet and play together each year.

Here's to Lila... You may have read the tribute to Lila Lee in the Daily Journal on Sept. 25, 2005. Lila racked up a 35-year career as matriarch of Mendocino County historians, at the Held-Poage Research Library. Leaving there was a bitter end to her long stint of building and caring for this impressive historical collection which people from all over the country have come to Ukiah to access. During those years she spent five days a week without pay to turn the Held library into a treasure trove of facts. Most of that history is in Lila's brain and she always knew exactly where to find that tidbit of history, or obscure fact that one needed. Here's hoping that this 1994 Citizen of the Year finds new places for her energies.

It's the 15th Annual Piano Concert... A series of performances by the hottest, musically eclectic keyboard artists will happen early next year.

The first in the series will be at Willits High School on Friday, January 5, 2007, starting at 7:30 p.m. Featuring Spencer Brewer, Ed Reinhart, Elizabeth Mac Dougall, David Lisle and another surprise artist (to be announced in the very near future). Sponsors for Willits Concert includes Ukiah Music Center, K-WINE & KMKX, and Sparetime Supply.

On Saturday, Jan. 6, 2007 at 7 p.m. and Sunday, Jan. 7 at 2 p.m., the Professional Pianists Concert will take place in the Mendocino College Center for Visual and Performing Arts facility, Ukiah. This program includes Spencer Brewer, Elena Casanova, Tom Ganoung, Elizabeth Mac Dougall, Ed Reinhart and Tom Aiken.

These concerts are sponsored by Ukiah Music Center, Savings Bank of Mendocino County, KWINE & KMKX. The "I Wanna See the Hands" special tickets will be available.

Tickets will go on sale in the near future and will be available at Ukiah Music Center, Mendocino Book Company and in Willits at Leaves of Grass bookstore. For more details call 468-8910.

Steppin' up... Those growing up in the San Francisco area have great respect and love for the San Francisco Conservatory of Music. Now 90 years old and an important part of the City's musical history, they've opened the doors of a dazzling new state-of-the art facility at 50 Oak Street, at the very heart of San Francisco's performing arts community. They've provided extraordinary music education for serious musicians and some notable alumni include: Yehudi Menuhin, Violin; Isaac Stern, violin; and many others. Students and faculty present more than 360 concerts annually -- most of which offer free admission (for a list of performances, visit www.sfcm.edu.)

Beginnings... Ada Clement and Lillian Hodgehead launched the Ada Clement Piano School in 1917 in the home of Lillian's parents. It was from that humble start (three pianos, four studios, two blackboards and 40 students) that amazing growth began. Gaetano Merola, founder and first general director of San Francisco Opera, taught at the Conservatory before launching his opera concert. Chamber music had been one of the Conservatory's signature strengths. Famous composer and director Ernest Bloch was Artistic Director during the 1920s-30s.

Their new Oak Street address, between Van Ness Avenue and Franklin Street, is just around the corner (and three minutes) from Davies Symphony Hall and War Memorial Opera House. The building was built in 1914 by the Catholic Young Men's Institute. The Concert Hall debuted on Nov. 13.

Cheer-i-o!

Ellie