PDA

View Full Version : I am thankful for the legacies of two former Marines

thedrifter
11-23-06, 07:22 AM
Patrick Keeler: I am thankful for the legacies of two former Marines

By PATRICK KEELER
Commentary

LAST MONTH as I attended the funerals of two former Marines and true American heroes I wondered why God chose their two fates as he had, and I felt saddened, upset and regretful that the hero that most of us grieved that day, Officer Michael Briggs, was cheated from sharing the gift of his kindness, compassion and humanity with his family, his community and by extension our world for a much longer time.

As I pondered their fates and passing, I was struck by the similarity of their core values and quiet service to others and how much each of them had affected those they touched in such a positive manner.

As I spent time at each gentleman's service, grieving their deaths and celebrating their lives, I found myself struggling with two very different sets of emotions. One man I did not have the pleasure of knowing. The other was like a father to me.

The other American hero who also passed from our ranks that week was Philip Kennedy, who at 86 years old was not cheated by fate from a long and full life. Philip, like Michael Briggs, was also a Marine.

Philip served our country in World War II and while a point man on patrol in Guadalcanal took shrapnel and lay on the brink of death as his comrades in arms, including his brother, John, carried on the fight, assuming he had died from his injuries.

Well, Philip Kennedy did not die that day many years ago. He spent the next year of his life in a hospital recovering from his wounds and made a vow during that time to live a Christian life, honorable, purposeful and in service to others. And he succeeded by any measure, leading a selfless life of service to his God, country, family, friends, community and work.

One of Philip's more significant legacies he left us was being instrumental in passing legislation to allow foods just past their due dates from major food sources to be donated to food pantries within the state.

Philip's efforts, in the face of stiff opposition, directly contributed to more than 350 food pantry locations serving more than 300,000 people in New Hampshire.

While I was able to truly celebrate Philip's life, rejoicing in a long life, well led, and knowing the difference he had made to so many since a promise he had made to God and himself, I struggled to make sense of a world that would take Officer Briggs from his family and friends much too soon. He, his wife, children, family and friends deserved much better, and we are all diminished in ways we'll never know from his loss.

As I became more familiar with the many acts of compassion and kindness that flowed from Michael to family, kids and strangers or those less fortunate, I thought of how similar they were and how well he and Philip would have gotten along had they met each other in life. We have all lost two of the truly good guys, one way too soon. You know the type of good guys I'm referring to, the type of guys who make you feel richer for having known them and happier for just having been in their presence.

Both men passed into heaven with the love of family keeping vigil over them in their last days.

God bless and keep you both, Michael and Philip. I suspect you've met and are eternal friends by now.

Patrick Keeler is a real estate broker in Concord.

Ellie