PDA

View Full Version : Requesting the Guidance of Marines

alexpw62
11-17-06, 10:29 PM
Hello Marines,

First of all, I would like to sincerely thank you all for your service to our great country. Although the liberal media may not make it seem like it most of the time, the people of this country do appreciate your service and your sacrifices. You are our heroes.

Anyways, my name is Alex Weatherbie. I am not a poolee, but I want to be one soon. I am currently a freshman at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas. College is fine, and it is fine for most of my peers; however, for me it is unfulfilling and I know in my heart that what I really want to be is an active duty enlisted Marine.

I want to be a grunt; I want to be a ground-pounding infantry Marine. I don't want to sit behind a desk in a building somewhere, I want to live in the dirt and fight fiercely. How likely would I be to be guaranteed the 0300 field?

I have not contacted a recruiter yet, and this is the crux of my question. I am QUITE ashamed to admit that I have gotten out of shape since I stopped playing football halfway through my senior year in high school. I am now almost halfway through my freshman year in college and I have PT'd infrequently since football ended. I have recently started an intensive PT program again, and am beginning to get back in to shape. Should I contact a recruiter now, or should I wait until I am more in shape?

This is all kind of overwhelming and, although I'm afraid to admit it, kind of confusing sometimes. I am motivated, smart, and in time I will be back to an acceptable level of fitness. I want to be a Marine more than anything. What should be my first course of action at this time to achieve this goal of mine?

Thank you for any assistance you can give me. I truly appreciate it.

-Alex Weatherbie

Marine84
11-17-06, 11:06 PM
Alex - 1st, go talk to a Recruiter. Being a little in shape before you go helps somewhat but the majority of bootcamp is mental. Bootcamp will break you down and erase all of your old habits and ways and then build you up and polish you into a Marine. It's really quite an amazing transformation and it will be with you for life - you won't be able to shake it if you try hard. They do put you through a lot of physical stuff but DIs (like God) won't give you more than you can handle. Always remember that. Just prepare yourself mentally.

And a little added motivation for you.......................if we girls can do it (and I didn't have no desk job either - Ordnance) - you can too. ;)

Don't worry about it so much - talk to a Recruiter. The college will help you some if you're motivated enough to try for O status. I went to college for 2 years right after high school and did the same thing as you're thinking. I don't regret going to school, it did help me somewhat in life but the Corps........................I had the BEST 4 years of my life!

SgtHMH
11-17-06, 11:32 PM
Alex- Go talk to a recruiter and get his or her in put on what you want to do. Talk to them about everything and anything that comes to mind. Then of course talk to and tell your parents what you plan to do about joining the Marines. It is your choice what you want to do with your life, but your parents should know of this. You should think long and hard about this and then make your choice. It is a life long change forever, once you become a Marine it is forever. Do you understand what that means ? "Once a Marine""Always a Marine". As Marines we do not take that lightly, it is earned not given and can never be taken away. So think long and hard on it, then join our ranks of past hardcore Devil Dogs, Leathernecks, Jarhead Marines and go down in history forever. It is up to you to make the choice and you alone.

Sgt. Hoss