PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions

Akino Tamashii
11-09-06, 09:26 PM
Im Jason and I'm 19, in North Carolina and I leave for DEP this coming up Monday and I need to know two things before I go.

1. I read somewhere that it is possible to change your MOS after 23 months or so. Is this true or would I have to re-enlist after my four years to change my MOS because I want to do 0351 but I want computer training as well and I'm willing to give four more to learn them both.

2. I have had people tell me that I will be offered a sum of money for a sign-on bonus and that this sum is negotiable. If so, how high can it be negotiated or if not, what is the average sign-on bonus?

I appreciate any help I get on this ahead of time. I'll post when I leave for boot camp when I get back Tuesday.
Semper Fi

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-09-06, 10:30 PM
The Marine Corps may let you change your MOS, but there is no promise. If you want to do this, you'll need to start out with the 03 MOS because you can't LAT move to it later unless you do it as a reservist.

You may be offered money, you may not. The only negotiations are whether to give you a bonus, and you're not involved in that. If you're enlisting for money, you need to look somewhere else. But, it is usually offered to get you to agree to a specific MOS option, and the choices you outlined probably aren't included.

Akino Tamashii
11-10-06, 04:35 PM
Thats what I figured but I wanted to make sure. I'm not in it for the money but it is always a plus. I just want the name Marine. I guess this means I'm going 0351. Are there any Assaultmen on here that could give me pointers or know what its like in Iraq for 0351 right now?