PDA

View Full Version : Criminal Records?

Rizzo
11-04-06, 11:12 PM
I have a friend who's been considering joining the marines after he graduates from high school in about a year.

He doesn't have a criminal record as an adult, but my friend has had past experiences with the law as a minor.

He was caught with marijuana in school when he was 16, he had to go to court and the judge gave him 6 months probation for less than a dime bag of marijuana. He met with a recruiter, but he never mentioned the incident with his recruiter because he didn't think it would matter, but I've heard that the Military can still find out about what he did and that it would be considered as a criminal record....is this true?

Rizzo
11-05-06, 12:58 AM
8 views, 0 response.....I don't believe that he would be effected, but I'm unsure about this....I'd appreciate it if anyone could share their input.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-05-06, 08:50 AM
Speaking not as a recruiter...

He does, in fact, have a juvenile record if he was convicted and got probation. Therefore, he needs to tell the recruiter ASAP.

That's just my opinion.

BTW, be patient, other responses will come.

jinelson
11-05-06, 10:18 AM
His record will pop up and the Marine Corps has a zero tolerance policy on drugs. He better tell his recruiter quickly his honesty is paramount at this time.

Jim

Marine84
11-05-06, 10:40 AM
Be straight up about it with the recruiter..................if you don't you'll always be looking over your shoulder about it the whole time you're in. They'll do a criminal background check for security clearance purposes - it will eventually come out.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-05-06, 12:22 PM
Agreed. If he doesn't tell, and they find out, it's an automatic discharge, no matter how s/h a Marine he is or has the potential to be. "Fraudulent enlistment" is a crime taken seriously by the...

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-05-06, 02:25 PM
The military can, and will, find out about your record. It could be sealed, pardoned, expunged, anything. If it has ever been there, they will find out about it. Then they'll look at the answer you...

ggyoung
11-05-06, 04:47 PM
All this depends on how the judge gave the sentice. I f the judge said if you keep clean untill you reach 18 years old then it will be sealed forever and it can not be found anywere. This happened with me for having beer in my car. I was able to get a top serect clearance. Evin the FBI could not find it.

kato811
11-05-06, 08:02 PM
juvnile records are sealed in most states. but he should still tell them to be upfront with them

Rizzo
11-06-06, 02:12 AM
thanks for the informative replies, If my friend happened to sign a petition to seal his juvenile record, would he then be eligible to join the Marine Corps?

Rizzo
11-06-06, 04:00 AM
Can some one confirm this, I thought the Military had access to records regardless if were sealed or expunged, what's the absolute reality of the situation?

jinelson
11-06-06, 09:01 AM
Rizzo you being a Marine should already know the answer to these questions, and I am very surprised that you would have to ask them. Dont you remember "Honor, Courage and Committment"? The military has access to the records sealed or not as its a matter of national security. I suggest that you complete your profile to remove from my mind any doubts that you are indeed a Marine and that you are not perhaps a poser.

Semper Fi

Jim

rb1651
11-06-06, 06:56 PM
He needs to come clean. My son, who joined the Army, was busted for the same thing. (My wife and I turned him in.) When he finally grew up and wanted to make something of his life, he enlisted. Even though his records were "sealed", he still had to get a verification letter from his old P.O. that stated he had satisfied his probation obligations, or he could not join. This happened in May of this year. Hope that helps clear it up a bit.

Kegler300
11-07-06, 05:42 AM
All Marines are required to undergo a National Agency Check, Local Agency and Credit Check (NACLC). Since this occurred on or after his 16th birthday, this information will become part of that investigation.

cplbrooks
11-12-06, 11:42 AM
He must disclose this information. They will find it. If i were his recruiter i would be ****ed. When i screen a prospect i ask this question six different times in six different ways so that there is no mistake that i need to know.

grussem
11-12-06, 04:28 PM
Tell your "friend" that personal integrity is a critical personality trait we want our Marines to have. If you have none, I don't want you in my Corps. Just be honest before you screw yourself for good.

grussem
11-12-06, 04:28 PM
Tell your "friend" that personal integrity is a critical personality trait we want our Marines to have. If you have none, I don't want you in my Corps. Just be honest before you screw yourself for good.