PDA

View Full Version : Question about MOS 4611 Combat Illustrator

Esroc
11-01-06, 01:17 AM
I joined the Marines back in May of 2006, and was discharged during bootcamp. Back then, my MOS was general infantry. <br />
<br />
I'm now preparing to go back, because being a Marine is something I...

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-01-06, 10:46 PM
I can't tell you about this particular MOS, but I know that in every other case I have heard of or been involved with personally it is not something they will waive. You know, and I know, that it wouldn't make a difference in your ability to perform the job. But, the people that make the rules clearly don't actually understand what being color blind is and what it does, and does not, do to you. The MOS I had should have never been open to a person with color vision problems. Every time I did my job it involved red and green wires, which you know would be difficult to deal with. But, they aren't listening to anyone.

Esroc
11-03-06, 05:16 AM
My second choice is Linguist which I qualify for 100%, but I'm under the impression that they stick you where you're needed and you get no choice as to what language you wish to learn. Is this true? Because I want to learn Japanese, or be put into Korean as I know it already.

Camper51
11-03-06, 09:10 AM
If you use your head you will realize that color vision would be critical to combat artists. Your assignments will not all be doing charcoal, or pen and ink drawings of combat. You would also be expected to maybe render a drawing of the unit SgtMajor, in color, or maybe of the base /batallion/etc... commander. Maybe you would be required to render a drawing of some item of historical significance, again in color. There are many assignments that I can think of where color vision would be critical to completing the mission. Working in just one single medium of art would not be acceptable due to the needs of the Corps...

You say you already speak Korean, well linguist would be an excellent field. Since you already know Korean you probably would not be given another language since Korean is always needed. The Corps is not the place to pick and choose a new language to learn, however it will give you even more knowledge of the Korean you already know.

Good luck in your choice...

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-03-06, 07:11 PM
Since you speak a needed language, you'll probably be given that language. However, if you show up and they need the whole group to learn Russian, you'll learn Russian. This is one case where it is all about the needs of the Corps.

CombatCmra
09-25-07, 01:53 PM
Not sure if things have changed since I enlisted, but back then (1990) you choose an occupational series, in this case 4600. Then you were assigned based on the needs of the Marine Corps a MOS whether it be 4611 - Combat Illustrator; 4641 - Combat Photographer; etc...

If you have already gone back in there is nothing preventing you from attempting to gain a secondary as a 4611. Granted I don't know how hard it is now.

I started out as a 4611 - Combat Illustrator (didn't know how to draw), and later earned a secondary as a 4641 - Combat Photographer. As for being color blind... All I will say is some of the best work I saw was done in Black & White, but then again I am old school when it comes to pictures.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-25-07, 02:19 PM
You aren't getting a color vision waiver- for some reason they take those very seriously. I'm color blind myself so I know how stupid it seems.

And, as has been said- you can't enlist in an actual job unless you are going to be a reservist.