PDA

View Full Version : Questions...

Snuffleupagus
10-27-06, 01:45 AM
Hello,
I have been going to Poolee functions since early June and won't be able to go into MEPS until March. I say March because that is when I turn 18 and my parents will not sign me out. Anywho, I'll just cut to the chase.
I was wondering what it is like to be a Marine?

I know it is a broad question but I want to know the different aspects of it all. Does everyone feel the same thing as a Marine? Being The Few. The Proud?

My second question has to do with tankers.
What is THAT like?

Third question.
Do you regret becoming a Marine at all? I know it is a stupid question to ask, but seeing all of my friends going to college and me being the only kid in my graduating class going into the military, it just kinda got me thinking. To be honest.. I'm really scared. I've grown up and have been raised around a community where we're taught that if you don't go to college, you will fail at life.
My response to that was to work my ass off (if I am able to become a Marine) and take college courses while i'm doing my service.. But still, the doubts keep coming.

I've asked my recruiter these questions and he's given me the answers. I just wanted to hear more about it from more people who have experienced these things.

Thanks for your time!

-Snuffleupagus

bootlace15
10-27-06, 07:38 AM
snuffy,
You say you have doubts. Sounds like a non hacker to me. Check out your favorite quote............ Quit talking about it,JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bootlace15 out

Camper51
10-27-06, 05:42 PM
1) Does everyone feel the same about being a Marine? NO each and every person feels differently. We aren't robots on an assembly line...

2) Wear a hard hat and remember to duck.

3) Yeah, it's a stupid question but I would venture to guess that there are very few regrets. I know I do not regret being a Marine.

So you are having 2nd thoughts. And do you think this is not normal? I think anyone that makes that big of a commitment at a young age should have 2nd thoughts, I sure did. I joined in 1968, at age 17 at the height of Viet Nam and the casualty count was much higher then than it is now in Iraq, and it is just as dangerous now as it was then. Was I scared, yeah I probably was but I faced it and carried on.

I will say that I would not be the man I am today, nor where I am today, if I had not joined the Corps. I formed many lifelong habits in the Corps, and all of them have served to make me what I am today...

Snuffleupagus
10-27-06, 06:50 PM
Thank you for replying so quickly.

I appreciate you for taking your time to read my post.