PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Life as Enlisted

ChknSanwch
10-25-06, 09:10 PM
How is the pay? I know the factors and numbers and everything, I'm just asking Marines that are currently on Active Duty how the pay is. Is it substantal, or do you worry about just getting by? How would you rate your quality of life personally by the house you live in and your pay. If you don't feel like telling me personal and financial stuff, thats alright, I'm just trying to see what I can expect in 2 years when I do enlist.

Thanks to Anyone that Helps

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-25-06, 09:21 PM
The pay is too low, the hours are too long, living conditions aren't as good as many of the newer college dorms, and there is always that chance that your job could get you killed. Other than that, the quality of life is great!

In all honesty, if you want a nice quality of life the USMC may not be the best fit. There are ways to have life better. But, then you wouldn't be a Marine.

ChknSanwch
10-25-06, 09:27 PM
That right there is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear.... honesty. I gotta thank you Echo Four Bravo, that helped me alot.

So I'm guessing I'm not gonna be able to get the new Mustang any time soon.... oh well, something tells me that the title of Marine is alot more powerful than a Mustang.

Can't wait to finish up my last to years of high school(currently in 10th), and join the Fleet.

Thanks agian

Old Marine
10-26-06, 09:43 AM
Young man, the Air Force pays the same as the Marine Corps and you live in much better quarters in the Air Force. The only thing you don't get in the Air Force, is the right to be called a Marine.Depends if you want to live in a fighting hole or a dorm with two to a room. If you want to become a hired killer, then its the Marine Corps. If you are joining to get an education, the Air Force is the choice. When you get out, it is a little easier to get a high paying job doing something exciting, than being a grunt with no where to go.

Its your choice.

ChknSanwch
10-26-06, 02:44 PM
NO! I would never do the Air Force. I'd much rather be a Marine any day.

Marine84
10-26-06, 06:59 PM
You'll be able to buy that new Mustang - (if you have no debt going in) there are no bills to pay - the Marine Corps gives you 3 hots and a cot, you get to travel for free, no medical bils, no dental bills, you really don't even have to spend THAT much on civilian clothes because you're in uniform more than not, no rent, no utilities..................what more could you ask for? The pay AIN'T that great but allllllllllllllllll that other stuff kinda balances things out.

Go ahead and be picking out the color!

ChknSanwch
10-26-06, 07:08 PM
For real? I know the pay is much to be desired, but the benefits and everything do seem to offset it. You guys are really helping me out alot. I just needed some insight on what it's like financially and the quality of life and living quarters.

Thanks Again,
Matt

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-26-06, 08:23 PM
If you have no desire to spend money on anything other than your car, gas, and insurance, you could buy a new Mustang as a LCPL. I would tell you to buy a used car so that you'll actually have a little money left to have fun with and then some to save, but the decision is yours.

In the poolee hall the most recent pay chart is posted. You can see exactly how much you'll make before taxes are taken out. Living conditions are USUALLY two guys to a room, you may share a head with your neighbor. There'll probably be two best, two dressers, two wall lockers and a sink in your room. Some of the newer barracks are nicer, some of the older one's aren't as nice. Just depends. Regardless, if you're enlisting to improve your quality of life, you're looking in the wrong direction.

Marine84
10-28-06, 11:22 AM
Yeah..............but you'll have that Mustang. Living in the barracks SUCKS a BIG one - period. You could end up with a slob, a snorer from hell, a neat freak, or a "ho dog" - the key to dealing with it is TOLERATION because you may have things about you that they don't like. Up until a certain rank, the Corps will not allow you to live off base and pay you for it - you CAN do it; however, you HAVE to keep a room at the barracks and you HAVE to stay in it when it's your duty section day/weekend and you ALWAYS have to be there for field night.

But..............you could always sleep in that Mustang if all else fails.

ChknSanwch
10-28-06, 02:44 PM
haha, sleep in a Mustang? thats a new one. at least it'll be cushioned leather. lol

exactly what rank are you allowed to live off base and have the Corps pay for it? just wonderin

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-28-06, 04:17 PM
The only people that I know of that are able to live off base and receive the extra money to do so are the married Marines and officers. We had several Staff NCO's that lived in the barracks. Of course, their living conditions are just a little better. Where we had two Marines to a room, in their barracks there were two rooms for each Marine.

1stRad2671
10-28-06, 05:19 PM
Quality of life, particularly living quarters, can very greatly just by duty station. When I first got to Hawaii I was living in some pretty crappy barracks. After I returned from a long deployment I was living in brand new barracks and the other ones were in the process of being torn down.

Any Marine living at the poverty level has brought it upon himself by living outside his means. Pay isn't great by civilian standards for the same job. Now that I'm out I'm getting about four times as much $$ for using the same skills. As a Marine I was more than able to save money all the while spending tons of money on my motorcycles. By the way, deployments are great for saving money. I was recalled to active duty and sent to Iraq at the beginning of the war. That little summer vacation made for a very nice down payment on a house. :D

One thing that I miss the most which makes for good quality of life is the chow hall. It sure was nice to have all you can eat, three meals a day. Some places had better food than others. Air Force bases are almost always good places to eat. On occasion I would go to Hickam AFB for dinner. I've lost 10-15lbs since I got out, and I was far from overweight to begin with. :(

chrisja0331
10-28-06, 05:29 PM
You can live off base as a SGT if your unit lets you. You do have to be one of the senior SGT's though.
Remember, you can get everything you are asking about anywhere. The main thing is EARNING the title.
Have you been talking with the recruiter at your school?

ChknSanwch
10-28-06, 06:16 PM
on occasion yes, I've been talking to Sgt. Spencer every chance I get to. Me and him are cool, so I know he wouldnt lie just to get another number toward his quota in 2 years(thats when I plan to enlist)

ChknSanwch
10-28-06, 06:19 PM
so pay i could expect as an unmarried Marine while not deployed would be Basic Pay and BAS? is there any others I left out or forgot? could I receive proficiency pay or special duty pay with a MOS of Artillery?(thats the MOS i really want to get)

thanks with the information, its helping alot

chrisja0331
10-28-06, 07:13 PM
No you got em all.
Question for you. If you could have any type of vehicle in the world, what would it be?

ChknSanwch
10-28-06, 08:03 PM
really? ok

hmmmm, any vehicle in the world???? dang..... I love the Viper, but I'm not to fond of Dodge... yes, i know, its odd...

i love the newer Mustang GT's, but thats not the fastest or the best possible car I could get because there's alot better out there...

hmmmm, Im a full supporter of American muscle cars, and Im not to fond of imports or foreigns... so I suppose a BMW, Lambo, Ferrari, Mitsubishi, Nissan etc is outta the question.

Chevy is cool. escpecially the '70 Chevelle SS, '84 Monte Carlo, any Camaro(including the 2009 model), and any 'Vette.

But Im gonna have to go with the 2007 Mustang Shelby Cobra 500GT. now thatsa spicy meatball!!! lol

what about you chrisja0331? what would you have?

SgtHopperUSMC
10-29-06, 01:42 AM
You'll be able to buy that new Mustang - (if you have no debt going in) there are no bills to pay - the Marine Corps gives you 3 hots and a cot, you get to travel for free, no medical bils, no dental bills, you really don't even have to spend THAT much on civilian clothes because you're in uniform more than not, no rent, no utilities..................what more could you ask for? The pay AIN'T that great but allllllllllllllllll that other stuff kinda balances things out.

Go ahead and be picking out the color!Ok... Yea that sounds great...Do you have a girl friend? Are you planning to get married early? Trust me it will all change the moment a girl is in the picture. (Not that that is a bad thing.) Just keep in mind if you buy the toys and then want to get married to that sweetheart it will be tough. You have a lot that will happen to you in the next couple of years. Old Sarge is right about a lot of things he said. All branches are fine but there is only one Marine Corps.

ChknSanwch
10-29-06, 08:29 AM
nah, i dont have a girlfriend. and im not really planning to get married, but, anything can happen.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-29-06, 02:31 PM
You may not be planning on it now, but that doesn't mean you won't get all crazy over some girl you meet in a couple of years.

yellowwing
10-29-06, 06:02 PM
Do not forget what we are training for!

The three Marines below have the heart and tenacity to endure a night in a mud hole, then get up in the middle of the night to kick the hell out of any army in the world. :usmc:

http://www.ywg-web.com/images/grunts1.jpg

ChknSanwch
10-29-06, 07:03 PM
And what I would give to be right there with em.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-29-06, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't mind being with them either. Situations like that are what being in the Big Green Machine is all about.

Marine84
10-30-06, 05:25 PM
Some places you'll go (I got it when I went to Japan for a year) is COLA (Cost of Living Allowance) you'll get a little extra.

chrisja0331
10-30-06, 07:11 PM
2007 Mustang Shelby Cobra 500GT huh?
Thats a very nice vehicle. Look at it this way.
The Marine Corps is that 2007 Mustang Shelby Cobra 500GT! Everything else that you get it makes it even better!
You want to be a Marine right? Then EARN THE TITLE (2007 Mustang Shelby Cobra 500GT) and the rest come with it!

chrisja0331
10-30-06, 07:12 PM
1988 Jeep Wrangler. Which I now have!

ChknSanwch
10-30-06, 07:40 PM
ahhhhhh! thats very motivational chrisja0331. thats a great way to put it. thanks alot!

chrisja0331
10-30-06, 08:11 PM
no problem

ChknSanwch
10-30-06, 09:01 PM
yea, and looking at the time of your last post, thats also a big motivation for me- (9:11). ill never forget that day, i wanna exact some revenge on those freakin hajis! OO-RAH!

chrisja0331
10-30-06, 09:13 PM
you get your turn

grussem
11-13-06, 09:28 PM
As long as you don't get "I just got promoted to lance corporal" syndrome and go out and start buying things and trying to live above your means cause you're getting paid $150 more a month you'll be fine. Like people said earlier, everything is paid for so that makes up for the lack of hard cash you're paid...or not paid rather. :p Just remember, no amount of money can buy the title Marine.

ChknSanwch
11-20-06, 05:24 PM
i understand, and to me, my dream is alot more important than a sum of cash.

You all are helping out alot, thank ya.