PDA

View Full Version : N.C.-based Marines killed in Iraq remembered by Michigan families

thedrifter
10-25-06, 06:36 AM
N.C.-based Marines killed in Iraq remembered by Michigan families

The Associated Press
CHELSEA, Mich.

Lance Cpl. Cliff Collinsworth was so eager to join the Marines that he left for boot camp days after graduating from Chelsea High School two years ago.

The 20-year-old was killed Saturday during his second tour of duty in Iraq when a roadside bomb hit his Humvee near Ramadi, his family said.

Marine Lance Cpl. Nicholas J. Manoukian, 22, of Lathrup Village, also died in the attack. Both were part of the 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment of the 2nd Marine Division, based at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

"He wanted to be a Marine for a long time, and it was a great thing for him," Collinsworth's 22-year-old sister, Melissa Collinsworth, told The Ann Arbor News. She said he hoped to attend college and teach history.

Collinsworth returned to Iraq on Sept. 7 for a second tour.

"When Cliff returned after his first tour of duty, he was very proud to be a Marine," said teacher Marlene Segal. "Cliff wanted the teachers to share in his success, and teachers appreciate that. Cliff left Chelsea as a kid and came back a man."

Manoukian was a radio operator and also was on his second tour in Iraq. He married his high school girlfriend during a home leave in July.

"I'm happy that I got to live with him," his wife, Danielle Manoukian, told The Oakland Press of Pontiac. "He was a person who would give and give. He was the first to volunteer. I just feel so privileged that I got to love somebody so much and he loved me so much."

"My dream for Nick was college," said his mother, Mary Manoukian Calhoun. "He had such a kind, generous heart, and he gave the tightest, best hugs in world. I can't imagine living the rest of my life without him."

Ellie