PDA

View Full Version : Question about drinking age.

SamJohnston
10-22-06, 03:00 PM
I have a friend who is joining the Army soon and he is telling me that when you're in the military, the drinking age is lowered to eighteen. He says that at least two people he talked to who are in the Army told him this. However, this doesn't seem right to me, so I thought I would come here and ask if this is true. Is it?

SgtHopperUSMC
10-22-06, 04:16 PM
Used to be able to on base only if you were 18. That probably has changed. Besides it gets you in trouble. :beer: +:angel: =$$$ to :angel: X 2.
God Bless Semper Fi

J-Ro
10-22-06, 04:56 PM
I have a friend who is joining the Army soon and he is telling me that when you're in the military, the drinking age is lowered to eighteen. He says that at least two people he talked to who are in the Army told him this. However, this doesn't seem right to me, so I thought I would come here and ask if this is true. Is it?

Drinking age is 21.

MarineArtillery
10-22-06, 06:33 PM
The only change recently to the drinking age is you only have to be 20 now to drink in Okinawa. Everywhere else is still 21.

J-Ro
10-22-06, 07:17 PM
No **** Artillery, I served two years in JP (iwakuni) H&HS and unless you were 21 the SgtMaj their would burn you at the stake I can't imagine Okinawa being that much different I had a lot of buddies their at the time 2002-2004 time frame.

I recall a Sgt with the MPs bought allot of his Marines a case for field day and right before I PCSed the Kuni that Sgt was a Cpl.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-22-06, 08:58 PM
Shouldn't we have someone here telling us how you could drink at 18 back in the day? Heck, when I enlisted Pendleton still let 18 year olds drink in the e club, but that changed pretty quickly.

MarineArtillery
10-22-06, 09:00 PM
J-Ro, you need to get your facts straight before you say no to something. It doesn't matter how long and how long ago you were stationed there, all things are subject to change....This is a change that was made in the last month, so yes the drinking age is now 20. Whether the commanders of the Marines there allow them to or not, it's still 20!

J-Ro
10-23-06, 12:36 PM
Ohh... My Bad Artillery your absolutley right I should have gottom my facts straight what I meant to say was if it's not "21" around the Globe it should be (my opinion).

allot of the stories we had always heard was about Marines acting up on the Blog over their and not acting right when they're drinking. So, as I said earlier (my opinion) it should be.

Marine84
10-23-06, 01:09 PM
Don't worry about it Sam - you're WAY too young to be drinking anyway..................

Echo5November
10-23-06, 05:21 PM
right, because I'm sure none of the Marines in here drank underage while they were in.

aang
10-23-06, 05:26 PM
You are all right I never drank in the Corps when I was seventeen. I only sipped. And I never had sex with that woman. We always made sure to never drink if given the opportunity.

J-Ro
10-23-06, 09:29 PM
[quote=Echo5November]right, because I'm sure none of the Marines in here drank underage while they were in.[/quote

Sh** I knew I would come across like I was saying that
,but I guess somebody coming in, in the middle of a conversation would assume what ever the **** they wanted

I don't know one person that takes their first drink when they turn 21, but why the hell should the next Marine not have watch his six if he is under the legal drinking age of 21 I had too and since 1988 all the states had the established drinking of age of 21.

Now, Artillery had stated that the age is 20 in Japan, I'm having a hard-time believing that since Marines get stationed over their and do not enlist themselves under the Japenese Laws, I'm sure for the Japenese their laws are 20 yrs old but I'm positive the U.S. Laws are 21.

Drink up, Drink up!!! but don't think your exempt. Learn your surroundings
:beer:

jryanjack
10-24-06, 07:29 AM
Wasn't there a time when Pendleton and San Diego had a lowered on base drinking age that was established to keep young Marines on base instead of going to TJ?

DWG
10-24-06, 09:01 AM
They would have had to do a lot more than lower the drinking age to keep Jarheads out of TJ. ;)

gregba02
10-24-06, 09:50 AM
Samjohnston to answer your question i live next to Ft. Bliss, Tx. and i know the drinking age in the army is 18. They dont want their soldiers going into Juarez, Mexico. I've verified this with many soldiers. Now if your planning on joining the marines just to drink, you better think twice. The Marines dont mess around with the rules and regs. Trust me I know. Good Luck.:evilgrin:

killerinstinct
10-24-06, 11:04 AM
Well some places it might be legal.. The fact is more than likely you will be drinking... I was in school and we were only allowed to have water in the bks. So what did we do since most of us were 18? We had bottles of clear alcohol, in water bottles. The point I'm making is drinking will come just think about where you are so you wont get in trouble.. Some commanders love to NJP, I mean LOVE it... So just make sure you are with people you can trust.

gregba02
10-24-06, 03:13 PM
Amen, killerinstinct. I got a few NJP's for drinking under the age. It sucked. :marine:

Echo5November
10-24-06, 07:16 PM
it only illegal to drink under the age of 21 if you're dumb enough to get caught. Like being drunk underage and attempting to ride a floor buffer in the hallway for eight seconds and getting caught by the SDO and when he asks to see your i.d., you hand him your Autozone preffered member card. S*it like that.

J-Ro
10-24-06, 07:47 PM
it only illegal to drink under the age of 21 if you're dumb enough to get caught. Like being drunk underage and attempting to ride a floor buffer in the hallway for eight seconds and getting caught by the SDO and when he asks to see your i.d., you hand him your Autozone preffered member card. S*it like that.

lol_ sounds like you or somebody had a goodtime_ Good Sh**
:cool:

Echo5November
10-24-06, 10:32 PM
I was already 21 when I came in. It was my headmate, guy by the name of kris goode did this very stunt. I laughed so hard I had tears streaming down my face when I found out about this the same night. I did on the otherhand steal a riding lawnmower my my buddy outside the e-club of camp courtney in okinawa and ride because we were too drunk to walk. I ended up driving into a ditch on the way back to the barracks. We just fled the scene. To top it off I was an MP and had to be to work the next morning and ended up having to investigate the damage to government property (the lawnmower) and wrongful appropriation of government property (the lawnmower). I never did catch that slimey bastard who did it. :)

killerinstinct
10-25-06, 08:14 AM
I was already 21 when I came in. It was my headmate, guy by the name of kris goode did this very stunt. I laughed so hard I had tears streaming down my face when I found out about this the same night. I did on the otherhand steal a riding lawnmower my my buddy outside the e-club of camp courtney in okinawa and ride because we were too drunk to walk. I ended up driving into a ditch on the way back to the barracks. We just fled the scene. To top it off I was an MP and had to be to work the next morning and ended up having to investigate the damage to government property (the lawnmower) and wrongful appropriation of government property (the lawnmower). I never did catch that slimey bastard who did it. :)

damn those 5811's and their awesome lawless parties.....

grussem
11-17-06, 03:20 AM
I am pretty sure it's up to the base CG's discretion. I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca AZ (An Army base for you civilians) and you could drink on base if you were in the military and 18. His reasoning for the 18+ age limit was that he'd rather us get ****faced on base where we can at least walk back to our barracks instead of going to Nogalas MX and risk getting a DUI or getting jumped, arrested, etc... I think it makes sense, especially since there wasn't jack s**t to do in the immediate area unless you drove ALLLLL the way to Tucson AZ. :beer:

Old Marine
11-17-06, 08:56 AM
Whatever the age limit is in the state where the base is located is the drinking age on that particular base.

Two of the best ways to mess up your time in the service are DRUGS & DRINKING until drunk.

SgtHMH
11-17-06, 09:25 PM
In the 1980s you could drink beer on base at 18 years of age and hard stuff at 21 years of age. Has it changed to 21 now ? So you can enlist at 18 and serve our country, but you can't drink ? You can go into combat, get the MOH, Navy Cross, Purple Heart, but you can't drink ? LOLOLOLOL or you get wrote up and face the man ? Pretty one sided Marines.

Sgt. Hoss