PDA

View Full Version : Eastwood film resonates with local vet

thedrifter
10-19-06, 04:19 PM
Eastwood film resonates with local vet
Thursday, October 19, 2006
By Bob Shryock
bshryock@sjnewsco.com

When five Marines and a Navy corpsman raised the U.S. flag in volcanic Iwo Jima soil over Mt. Suribachi in late February 1945, Marine infantryman Nazarine "Nippy" DeMarco stood less than three miles from the event that produced the historic World War II photograph.

"We were in the middle of an airfield when the flag went up, but you probably could hear the roar back in Gibbstown," says DeMarco.

Nippy, an institution in Gibbstown - where he drove a school bus for 51 years - plans a trip to the movies Friday. "Flags of Our Fathers," Clint Eastwood's film about the Iwo Jima invasion and the story behind the flag-raising photo shot by Joe Rosenthal of The Associated Press, opens.

Locally, the film will be shown at the AMC 8 in Deptford and the United Artists Washington Township 14.

The movie will bring back painful memories.

Nippy, just 19, saw his first and last combat on blood-soaked Iwo Jima and has a Purple Heart to show for it. Wounded after the flag-raising, he was one of just six in his company of 42 who made it home.

Nippy survived the mind-altering horror of the 5th Marine beach landing on Iwo Jima and came within days of making it through the invasion unscathed. He'd endured "the stench of death," watched Japanese soldiers jump to their deaths from cliffs, and agonized over seeing piles of dead Marines. "But you didn't see dead Japanese. They'd drag them back."

One day Nippy heard the piercing wail of a wounded Marine he did not know and decided to go after him in a field without regard for his own safety.

"I grabbed a grenade, ran to him, was ready to pick him up ... and got shot. I was hit on the right leg, above the knee. The bullet shattered the bone, exploded like a dum-dum ball, and made a big hole. I had two operations and skin graft, but my leg was saved by maggots and leeches."

Battlefield medics carried a stretcher to DeMarco. But another bullet tore through one of his rescuers and Nippy was hit again, this time grazing his shoulder and shredding part of his uniform.

Nippy, who never learned what happened to the Marine he was trying to save or the medic who was trying to save him, was removed to the beach, put on a hospital troop ship, and began a long, sad and traumatic trip home, his war career ended.

Contacted by his mother, Mary, through the Red Cross, Nippy learned that his 17-year-old brother, George, had been killed in a hunting accident back home. The family would wait until he returned to Gibbstown before holding the funeral.

The Red Cross found Nippy a ride east on a seven-passenger, two-engine airplane. But while flying over the Rocky Mountains, one of the engines died.

"Here I am, wounded, going home to my brother's funeral, and they want me to parachute out of the plane, which I'd never done. We landed safely. But that's how I got gray hair."

Iwo Jima, strategically important to both the U.S. and Japan as an air base, was one of the costliest battles of the war with 22,000 Japanese either killed or captured and U.S. causalities listed at 21,000, including 4,500 dead.

"I'm proud of having served my country and don't mind talking about it," Nippy says. "People should know about what happened there. We had purpose to fight in World War II. We'd been invaded (Pearl Harbor)."

"I've known him for a long time and have great respect for Nippy, like a lot of people in Gibbstown," says his friend, Fred Reel. "He's always had a strong desire to overcome his injury. He has a lot of pride. Nippy wasn't going to bow down. Not with his fierce determination."

Born and raised in Gibbstown, Nippy was one of four children of Emidio DeMarco, who worked at DuPont but died when he was 31, and Mary.

His nickname?

When he was 7 or 8, brother George hit him in the eye with the tip of a pillow, his eye watered, "and the name 'Nippy' stuck."

Nippy played football for future Steelers coach Larry Kirschling at Paulsboro High School but was better known as a strong lefthanded-hitting first baseman who "tattooed" the bleachers at PHS. The Yankees were interested, but his Iwo Jima wounds negated that, a disappointment that lingers today.

He wasn't interested in joining the Army or Navy, instead leaving high school early to become a Marine. After nine weeks of basic training at Parris Island, the five-day train trip to Camp Pendleton, Calif. "was the longest ride of my life."

Life after World War II wasn't always easy for Nippy, but he made the most of it.

Turned down for a powder plant job at DuPont, because of his war injury, he considered school "but had no one to tell me what to do." He worked as a shoemaker under the GI Bill for two years, but after turning a mere $7 profit one week gave it up. He tried a lumber yard and sewer plant and was a police dispatcher. But Nippy is best remembered for the many years he handled maintenance and was bus driver in the Gibbstown school district, touching the lives of many in a very positive way.

He played sandlot ball despite the leg he almost lost and played trombone in the St. Michael's Band. He was able to get on with his life.

And he's never cursed his luck. After all, Nippy came home.

Ellie

thedrifter
10-19-06, 04:40 PM
BACK ON IWO JIMA

WWII veterans relive battle on the big screen

By KEITH ROGERS
REVIEW-JOURNAL

Except for an occasional tear and once in a while a chuckle from his raspy voice, Iwo Jima veteran Chet Foulke sat stoically while the movie screen flashed scenes from one of the bloodiest battles in World War II.

Like those in the Marine Corps League who joined the lanky, 84-year-old veteran for a special viewing Tuesday night, Foulke was gripped by what he described as the realistic authenticity of Clint Eastwood's film, "Flags of Our Fathers."

For the past 61 years, Foulke said, he has managed to cope with his Iwo Jima experience by trying not to think too much about it.

"I just put it out of my mind. I had to forget," he said.

But Tuesday night, his mind flashed back on the three dozen days he spent on the tiny island: the rotten-egg smell of sulfur emanating from its black sand and volcanic rock; the gruesome sight of Marines falling dead to Japanese machine gun and mortar fire; the rows of corpses and the wounded on stretchers, some whom he helped haul to the beach.

"It was an awful battle, the way we got slaughtered," Foulke told the audience.

"As you can see, I'm starting to tear up," he said before he saluted, then took his seat near the center of an auditorium at the Palms' Brenden Theatres.

Foulke was a demolition expert with Company C of the 5th Engineer Battalion. A private first class out of Quakertown, Pa., he was on the front line for 36 days after the Marines launched their assault on the 8-square-mile Pacific island on Feb. 19, 1945.

"I didn't have a hot meal the whole time," he said.

About a third of the way into the movie, Parke Potter, another Iwo Jima veteran from Las Vegas, sat down next to Foulke. Together they watched the reproduction of the battle they had lived.

As the movie showed, they said, the real battle was for the most part a risky drive by thousands of Marines on foot across open, rocky terrain that exposed them to enemy gunfire.

Tens of thousands of Marines had sailed from Hawaii in 880 ships to fight the battle of Iwo Jima. The island was needed as a stepping stone for U.S. aircraft to bomb Japan.

Potter said he had trained on a hill in Hawaii for the taking of Mount Suribachi. "That hill was completely honeycombed," he said, referring to the mountain. "We knew that hill from reconnaissance photos."

Most of the Japanese soldiers on Iwo Jima were entrenched in three miles of tunnels or burrowed in pillboxes throughout the porkchop-shaped island. The Marines used flame-throwers, rockets, rifle fire, grenades and explosives to root them out.

"There were a lot of caves. ... We threw in big blocks of TNT," Potter said.

Said Foulke: "Some days you'd make it 100 or 200 yards. Some days 500 yards."

A key objective was to secure the heavily fortified Mount Suribachi. Five days into the fighting, a pair of historic U.S. flag raisings took place on the mountain.

After watching the movie, Potter said he, too, thought it "was very realistic. But I don't think the public will believe some of the scenes."

Potter, originally from Petersburg, Mich., recalled how he and another Marine dug through rubble to find a scrap iron pipe from bombed-out Japanese gun emplacements. The pipe served as the pole for the first flag raising, about 10 a.m. on Feb. 23, 1945.

"We had to have two guys watch (for snipers) while you had two guys pull the pipe out," said Potter, who was in the 3rd Platoon of H Company, 3rd Battalion, 28th Regiment, 5th Marine Division.

He was 50 feet away when Marines from Easy Company raised the first flag. "My job was keeping the enemy's head down," said Potter, 81.

Foulke was at the foot of the mountain when the first flag flapped in the breeze. In the distance, Marines cheered, horns on ships blared and tears of joy rolled down his face.

In an interview last year on the 60th anniversary of the battle, Foulke recalled the moment.

"I was standing there looking up when that flag went up and tears ran down my face. I was just so happy to see that flag that I knew they were not going to push us off or do away with us. I felt so happy."

At the request of commanders, a larger flag from one of the ships was hoisted later, captured in an image made famous by Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer Joe Rosenthal. Only three of the six men in that iconic photo survived Iwo Jima, and their lives as heroes whom the government used to promote war bonds are portrayed in the movie.

Potter recalled that some of the deadliest days followed the flag raisings. He was among the 19,000 U.S. military personnel who were wounded in the fight, but he and Foulke said they always thought they'd survive.

"I never felt I was going to be one of the victims," Potter said.

That wasn't the case for one of his buddies, Dean Thompson of Wisconsin, who took a bullet in the shoulder about two weeks before the battle ended, on March 26, 1945.

"I said, 'Where are you hit?' He said, 'In the heart,'" Potter recalled. But Potter saw only a shoulder wound and told Thompson he would be alright.

"The corpsman came over and a few minutes later he was dead," Potter said, describing how the bullet had, in fact, lodged in Thompson's heart.

Having lost his own backpack on the mountain, Potter used Thompson's for the remainder of the battle and took it back to the United States.

About 15 years ago while traveling to Michigan, Potter stopped in Wisconsin and gave the backpack to Thompson's family. "It was just almost unbelievable for them," he said, describing how the pack was still in good shape, complete with Thompson's name stenciled in black paint.

Potter and Foulke are among only a few Marines living in Las Vegas who survived Iwo Jima. One of their comrades, Joe "Shotgun" Shields, died Jan. 29 at age 80.

A fourth Las Vegas Marine from World War II, 83-year-old Larry Odell, did not attend the movie preview because he's looking forward to watching the film with his daughter after it opens in theaters Friday.

Odell arrived on Iwo Jima a couple of days into the fighting as a member of an artillery unit known as "the Forgotten Battalion."

"I had quite a scare there. They shot a mortar over my head, and it threw coral in my eyes. I thought I was blind. It was weeks before I could see good. It finally worked itself out," he said in an interview last year.

On Wednesday, Odell remembered how difficult it was to fight the Japanese. "It was really bad. When we got a lull in the action, all we would see was dead Marines because the Japanese were all underground," he said. "It was scary. We wondered if we were winning."

Odell, armed with a bolt-action M-1 rifle, was at a lower elevation during the flag raisings. "After I saw the flag, I said, 'This looks pretty good for us now,'" he said.

Odell said he enjoyed reading the book "Flags of Our Fathers," by James Bradley and Ron Powers, on which the R-rated movie is based.

"They say the real heroes are still over there, the ones that didn't make it back."

Ellie