PDA

View Full Version : Roeser Brothers… Carrying On A Family Tradition

thedrifter
10-13-06, 09:52 AM
Roeser Brothers… Carrying On A Family Tradition
By Sheri Forrest

Jon Roeser was riding two-year-old colts on a regular basis before he graduated elementary school. And, while this fact may raise a few eyebrows, be assured it was nothing out of the ordinary for a Roeser boy. Jon's three brothers also rode their fair share of colts before they too ever shaved a whisker. Their father, Jim Roeser, raised his four sons in true rancher fashion…and he considered them a part of the operation's natural work force. His boys learned how to work hard and ride well, and today Dan, Tim, Jon and Mark Roeser each carry on their own piece of the Roeser tradition.

The late Jim Roeser was a third generation horseman, who inherited an aptitude for horsemanship from the two generations of Roeser men that came before him. In 1932, his grandfather, Bert, and his father, Orval came to Idaho from South Dakota, where they had made a living buying colts from the Indians, and then starting and selling those horses to the army. By the time Jim Roeser was born in 1933, his father and grandfather had set up shop as Roeser's Horse Market in their new hometown of Caldwell, ID.

As a young man, Jim Roeser first made a name for himself in the world of rodeo. During his professional rodeo career he qualified for the first five National Finals Rodeos from 1959 to 1963. Jim was still a young man when he retired from the rodeo scene to pursue a horse-training career. He followed his passion for the reined cow horse, and earned the respect of his peers not only as a trainer and breeder of fine cow horses, but also for his successful efforts to organize and promote the industry. In addition to winning the Idaho, Wyoming, Utah and Montana reined cow horse futurity, hackamore and bridle championships, Jim founded the Idaho Reined Cow Horse Assn. and assisted other states in establishing their own associations as well.

Jim Roeser's life ended much in the manner with which he lived it-on horseback, doing what he loved. One early April day in 1997, Roeser perished during a riding accident at the age of 63. The only solace for his family in losing the man they so admired was knowing that when he left this earth, he had been riding the mountains of the ranch he had worked so hard for…on the land that he loved.

Growing Up A Roeser

Because their father lived his life as a horseman, the four Roeser boys grew up learning a good deal about life on horseback. "My dad had a process of training (horses) that was centered around treating a horse the way you would want to be treated," explained Jon. "With the horses, he taught us (self) discipline and how to be patient." Jon also pointed out that having three brothers multiplied the experience. "You learn a lot from your mistakes-I think that's how all of us learned a lot of things," said Jon. "But we not only learned from our own mistakes, we could watch each other and learn from all our brothers' mistakes too."

All four young men learned how to ride, rope, start colts and carry their own share of the workload in Jim Roeser's horse training and cattle ranching operation. To them, the reward came in the form of an afternoon of roping. "We all started roping when we were about eight years old…you know, roping steers out of the box," said Jon. "We roped a lot and rode a lot of colts. But when we got home from school we had to clean stalls and do our chores if we wanted to get to go rope," added Jon. "The lifestyle sure didn't seem fun at the time, because we never really got to go and hang out with our friends. But you appreciate that later on in life. There wasn't a lot of wasted time."

"We pretty much got to do all the things the other kids got to do," said Jon's older brother, Dan of his childhood. "At least the things that were important, like sports-all the normal activities. But we had plenty to do at home, and I don't think we did a whole lot of hanging out in town after school." He adds, "I remember my dad had one colt for each of us to ride before we went to school in the morning. It was kind of like a project. And, I guess it was hard for us to get up and get out there in the mornings, but we also kinda had a good time together."

Tim agreed with his brothers' recollection. "All of us used to want to practice roping quite a bit. And my dad made this deal with us," remembers Tim. "He said we could rope all we wanted after school, if we got up and got our colts ridden in the morning before we left for school." Apparently, that's just what they did for quite a few years, according to Tim.

The only one of the Roeser brothers who would not choose a career in livestock, Mark Roeser said growing up with horses was inevitable. "Our family was about horses," said Mark of his heritage. "I have a picture that is a black and white and I think labeled as 1920. It was taken in South Dakota, and is of our great-grandpa's barn with about fifty or sixty horses standing around it."

Mark, like his three brothers, grew up doing his share of work around the Roeser Ranch. The fact that it was all an expected part of life back then seemed to have instilled a sense of partnership among the family, in the ranch and in its business. "It wasn't like the work was a list of chores, it was just what you did. It was your responsibility," emphasized Mark. "Dad was pretty busy, and didn't have time to check up on us. You had responsibilities, and you were expected to take care of them."

Tough Times

There were other things experienced by the Roeser men, that didn't involve horses, but certainly had a significant impact on how life unfolded at the Roeser Ranch. One such event was the premature death of Lola Roeser, Jim's wife and the mother of his boys. Dan, the oldest of the brothers, was fourteen when their mother lost her battle with breast cancer. And, as life took on a whole new set of challenges for Jim Roeser, it brought a new dimension of family life to his sons as well.

In the years following Lola's passing, a good portion of the household obligations were subsequently shifted to Dan, as the oldest of the brothers. "My dad certainly did the best that he could," remembers Dan. "But he had to work real hard, and he had a whole lot to do. It wasn't unusual for him to send me to the grocery store with basically no list," Dan mused. "I would buy every kind of Hamburger Helper that they had. But the ladies in the store got to know me pretty well, and they helped me out. They'd make sure I bought things like paper towels…things I probably wouldn't have thought of," he chuckled. "They were always sending me back to get something different, or something they had a coupon for. There was a while there, growing up, that I had those kind of responsibilities."

Mark, the youngest of the boys, was just nine years old when their mother passed away. "It was in 1970," recounts Mark. "And I was staying with my aunt, who was a school teacher. My cousin and I were at school with her, and my uncle came and picked me up to take me home." Not quite knowing what to expect, Mark walked into his family's house. "That's when my dad told me that mom had died. It was one of those things that didn't seem real," he added. "It was the first time I had experienced the death of someone that I was close to."

Less than a year after Lola died, the family had another traumatic experience when Mark, seriously injured from being kicked by a horse, nearly lost his life. "My dad had sent Jon and I out to bring in some horses. They were all pretty riled up and running around. Jon had a halter on one, and when I walked behind it to catch another, the other horses took off running and bucking and the one Jon was holding kicked out." Mark sustained serious head injuries from the accident. On the way to the hospital, his heart reportedly stopped a time or two, but through some form of CPR, his father revived him. "I guess when my heart stopped, my dad was able to get it started again," said Mark.

The events of their early years, no doubt, took its toll on the entire family, but it also served to create an unbreakable bond between the brothers and their dad. The experience of growing up a Roeser has created a unique and meaningful backdrop to each of the four men's lives.

In 1977, Jim Roeser married his long time friend, Carlene, and the couple eventually bought their ranch in the Owyhee Mountains of Idaho, where Tim resides today. During the years to come, each of the Roeser boys embarked on their own successful futures.

Mark Roeser

Mark Roeser, who lives with his wife Nikki in Nampa, ID, is clearly the family historian. While he and his brothers all have bridles, spurs and tack memorabilia that belonged to their dad, Mark seems to be the keeper of a great many of the old photos. And, be certain, that he has a memory for detail. To listen to Mark Roeser tell a story or recount an event, is to be there…one can almost feel and smell a day as he describes it. He admits to having an affinity for "old things" as he puts it, and will no doubt have a significant hand in perpetuating the legacy of the family for years to come.

Though he rode his share of horses for his father, and rodeoed through his senior year in high school, Mark didn't see a ranching career in his future. Like his grandfather, Orval Roeser, he enlisted in the military-for Mark it was the Marines, and spent some time away from the family ranch, before returning to pursue a job that involved horses. Soon after he completed his time in the Marines, Mark put the horse sense he had acquired working for his father to use at a nearby veterinary clinic. The hospital had been looking for someone to work behind the scenes, someone who knew his way around horses, and Mark fit the bill perfectly. His attitude for just doing what needs to be done was evident. "I did a little bit of everything there from giving shots and handling the anesthesia to cleaning stalls," said Mark. He remained at the clinic for seven years, before taking a position with Fed-Ex, where he has been for the last twelve years.

Mark met his wife Nikki through his father's horse training operation. Dean Oliver, Nikki's dad and a successful rodeo figure, had a horse or two in training with Jim Roeser over the years. Nikki, who spent several years showing reined cow horses, now has her own career with the United Postal Service. The couple, who both come from cattle ranching families, raise some of their own herds today.

Mark and Nikki have always spent considerable time in the saddle with the rest of the Roeser family. They were both on horseback with Jim Roeser the day he had another riding accident, just months before the one that took his life. On a mountain trail on the ranch, a group of friends and family were heading out to move cattle when Jim's horse lost his footing and fell over backwards on his rider. It was Mark that heaved the fallen horse off the top of his dad and made the treacherous race down the mountain for help. Jim had fractured his skull, and spent the next several months laid up along side Carlene, who was ill with cancer. The family believes that Jim's accident may very well have played a role in the one that ensued less than a year later. According to Dan, his father's balance had visibly been compromised by the head injury.

Carlene, who had been very close with Jim Roeser's sons, passed away several months later in August of 1996. It had been obvious to everyone that knew them that Jim and Carlene Roeser had a very special bond. Like his brothers, Mark will always remember Carlene as a true member of the Roeser family.

Tim Roeser

Tim, the second oldest behind Dan, took a particular interest in ranching operations over the years and has made his living as a cattleman. After college, Tim moved to California where his wife Rita's family had a couple of ranches. Tim and his family eventually made their way up to the Northern California town of Alturas, where they ran a ranch of approximately 1,100 cattle, before settling for a couple of years in the Sprague River area of southern Oregon.

The couple has been married for 24 years and has raised three children, Jeff, Scott and Kallie. Their oldest son, Jeff, is 22 years old and, after studying diesel mechanics in college, has now taken a job and moved to the San Luis Obispo area of California. His younger brother, Scott, is starting his second year in college, while Tim and Rita's daughter Kallie is a senior in high school. All three Roeser kids have excelled on the rodeo scene, and have successfully shown their grandfather's good cow horses, Real Dry and Royal Dry.

Tim met his wife roping, and has continued to rope in regional rodeo competition over the years. He explained that his whole family has always been very involved in the roping scene. Currently, Rita and Kallie even compete in the women's rodeo circuit. Scott, who is an ICA rookie this year, has been spending quite a bit of time on the rodeo road with his dad, who has even taken up bull dogging again. "It was hard not to, because we have such a good little horse. We bought him more than ten years ago, and made a bull dogging horse out of him," explains Tim. "Just about everyone around here in the high school rodeo that bull dogs has ridden him. He's carried a lot of kids to state competition and Scott even qualified for the nationals on him." Tim added, "When Scott was a senior, the horse was the Timed Event Horse of the Year for Idaho."

After his father's death in 1997, Tim and Rita Roeser relocated their family and their cattle operation back to the Roeser Ranch. Tim and Dan ran their dad's ranch for some time, eventually selling off the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) portion. Tim and Rita live today on the 300-acre main ranch. In addition to their own cattle business, Tim-who has spent some time studying equine reproduction-manages the horse breeding operation at Dan's nearby ranch. He oversees the breeding activities of the four main studs that reside there, along with some additional customer's stallions. Tim has also gone back to training horses, and tends to specialize in starting colts.

According to Tim, there was a lot absorbed in the years growing up with Jim Roeser that he still draws on today. "I still remember back, and use today, some of the things we learned as kids riding colts for my dad," he said. "I've heard a lot of people say that he (my dad) had the best hands of anyone they ever saw," recalls Tim. "He could take a hold of a horse, and feel what that horse was thinking." He also added, "His horses were extremely broke. My dad may not have been the best showman in the world, but his horses were far better broke than just about anyone's."

Dan Roeser

Dan married his wife Jackie in 1979, and their daughter, Annie was born in 1984. After an outstanding rodeo career, Dan set out on his own successful path as a top trainer. Dan and Jackie reside on their ranch in Marsing, just 40 or so miles from the original Roeser Ranch. Annie, who is the oldest of Jim Roeser's grandkids, is a graduate of Albertson College of Idaho, and is the Assistant Women's Basketball Coach at Northwestern University in Kirkland, WA. "While her first love is basketball," says Jackie, "she was very successful when she competed in the high school rodeos, ran barrels in the Women's Pro Rodeo Assn., and showed reined cow horses."

Dan was the first of the Roeser boys to follow in his father's footsteps. Never having left the region where he was raised, Dan is described by many as being most similar to his father. And that is a welcome compliment to the successful performance horse trainer. The admiration Jim Roeser's sons feel for their father is clear and present, and Dan is certainly no exception. Like his brothers, Dan seems to share not only an inherent talent with his father, but an attitude indicative of Jim Roeser's philosophy about both horses and life.

"It was fine with my dad if we rodeoed. But he didn't think there was much of a future in it. Even though he had done it himself, he tried to steer us toward something better," explained Dan. "But we grew up roping calves and team roping. Tim and Jon competed in the rough stock events…Tim more than Jon, I believe," added Dan. "But I just competed in the timed events." Dan won the all-around for the state of Idaho in high school rodeo competition his junior and senior years and he won the all-around for the Northwest region in the inter-collegiate rodeo circuit. For several years, he rodeoed professionally, and always qualified for the circuit finals.

It soon became obvious to Dan, as it had been to his father, that it wasn't likely a lucrative future would be had in riding rodeo. But his rodeo years did serve to give him a solid competitive foundation that carried over to his career in the show pen. "I think when you become a competitor on that level-where several times a week you're backing in the box to compete, it becomes more of a job for you," said Dan. "I think, after a while, you're able to think under pressure better. It just becomes part of your make-up."

Dan established his training operation fairly early in life, though he admits not having a burning desire to leave the family ranch. Unlike his brother Jon, Dan never had a horse-training job other than working for his dad. "When I was in college, I was working for my dad training horses. And," he added, "I really wanted to stay on working there with him. But I think he had such a sense of fairness, that he couldn't let me stay and not let my brothers stay too," Dan remembers. "He told me that he couldn't do for one of his kids what he couldn't do for all of them. And he couldn't have all of us come and work for him. I had rodeoed for a few years at that point, and Jon was out of college by then and wanting to train horses, too."

As fate would have it, Dan set up his own training business right next door to the senior Roeser. "I had a fairly easy start into the business, because I was able to rent a place and live right next door to my dad. Even though I was riding horses on my own, I was still able to train with him most of the time."

With regard to training techniques, Dan draws on a good deal of what he learned from Jim Roeser. "I think the main thing that I got from all the time with my dad was to try and develop a light, responsive horse; and not a horse that you have to pull on a lot," explains Dan. "He also taught us to think about what that horse is thinking…to get inside his head and try and understand him." He added, "He said that anybody can pull on a horse."

One of Dan's first successful cow horses was Dry Double Trouble, a horse by his father's stallion, Dry Double. Among their wins was the 1987 International Reined Cow Horse Futurity Championship in Helena, MT. Since 1990, Dan has ridden ten horses to top ten finishes at the AQHA World Show, made two AQHA Champions, four AQHA Performance Champions, and twelve AQHA Superior Event Horses in reining, roping, and working cow horse. He has campaigned numerous AQHA Honor Roll Top Ten Horses.

In reined cow horse competition, Dan has earned championships at the Utah, Magic Valley, Central Idaho, and International Futurities. He has won twelve Year End Championships in the Intermountain Reined Cow Horse Circuit, and has been the Open Bridle Champion five times at the Idaho Snaffle Bit Futurity. He has also trained and shown two NRCHA Supreme Reined Cow Horses. Dan is a NRCHA Open World Champion, Limited Open Derby Champion, Limited Open Futurity Reserve Champion, and Snaffle Bit Futurity Open Hackamore Reserve Champion, and a Northwest Region Open Hackamore Champion.

Today, Dan carries on his father's leadership role in the reined cow horse industry, which he greatly attributes to the example set by his dad. "What I learned from him was that you can't just sit back and let someone else promote the industry and make things better for you," emphasizes Dan. "Your entire living is wrapped up in it, and your family's. If you want it to be the best that it can be, you need to be involved." Dan has held the office of President for the Idaho Reined Cow Horse Assn., the Intermountain Circuit, the Idaho Quarter Horse Assn., and is currently the 2005/2006 NRCHA President.

Jon Roeser

Jon Roeser, who has also experienced great success in his career riding reined cow horses, attributes much of his own success to his upbringing. He now resides with his wife, Susie, and their children Clay, Ronnie, and JoJo at their ranch in Lemoore, CA. The training and breeding operation stands five stallions: Chex Out This Remedy, Heart Of A Fox, Boons Royal Legacy, Master Smart Remedy and Colonel Stylish Chex.

According to Jon, Jim Roeser's sons were taught early on the importance of putting a solid foundation on a young horse. "We really used a kind of Ray Hunt approach to starting our colts. It was really very much like my dad's way of thinking. Simply put, it was a common sense way of dealing with horses," said Jon. "When I was in high school, Dad put on some of Ray Hunt's clinics at our place, so we got to learn from watching those."

Jon's respect runs deep for his father's way with horses. "You know, a lot of guys will train and train on a horse…kind of run him into the ground," observes Jon. "My dad was a little better horseman than that, he knew how to preserve a horse." It seems a universal lesson in the Roeser barn had much to do with patience. And Jon suggests that this is exactly the quality that many riders seem to forget. "What I learned from my dad, was to take the time to ride a horse out, and maybe down the road a few miles before you go to training on him. Sometimes that patience is really good and will make a big difference over the years for a horse."

Jim Roeser also taught his sons a great deal about competition, though they may not have realized it during younger years. "There was a mental part to those years-whether it was in sports or rodeo," recalled Jon. "The competition taught us how to be focused and positive." He added, "You know some people go to sports psychologists to learn how to be competitive, and other people it doesn't really seem to phase them. I think if you started competing when you're young, you have an advantage. People that are thirty years old, and they've never really competed before-it's a real different deal."

According to Jon, four boys in the family created a built in environment of competition. "With all of us, it was competitive anyway, and my dad was kind of a competitive person himself," explained Jon. "I think he instilled that in us and also how to be both gracious winners and gracious losers. My dad didn't like show-boatin' and he sure didn't like poor sports." In reflection, he adds, "He was a pretty down to earth, humble person that we all admired for who he was, and what he stood for. I think, feeling that way about him, helped us all stay close as a family."

Jim Roeser also had a hand in guiding Jon on his career path. "In 1977, when I was a senior in high school, we really started getting some better bred horses at our place," said Jon. His father had garnered an interest in the NCHA Futurity Champion, Dry Doc, and began incorporating the line into his own stock. "He started his Dry Doc and Dry Double breeding around then, and I started getting kind of interested in the cow horse events," explained Jon. "He had a horse named Dry San, as a three-year-old he was the best horse I had ever ridden."

Jon continued, "I ended up getting to start Dry Double for my dad, because Dan and Tim were both off to college. I had put maybe twenty rides on him, when my dad went to ride him." Jon apparently left an impression on his father. "He really praised me and told me that was probably the best start he had ever had on a horse," remembered Jon. "It gave me a real since of pride."

In 1982, his father suggested Jon go out to California and add some experience to his knowledge. "He tried to get me a position at Greg Ward's, but Greg was filled up, with assistant trainers," said Jon. "But he found out that Benny Guitron needed someone, so I went to Benny's first for about a year. Then, I went on to Greg's and ended up working there for about six years. All that exposure was really good." After his six years at the Ward Ranch, Jon went out on his own. It was also shortly thereafter that the young trainer scored big, to win the 1990 NRCHA Snaffle Bit Futurity.

Jon's career continued to soar as he continued to rack up titles and earnings. In 1995, he won the NRCHA Snaffle Bit Futurity Open Reserve Championship. In 1997 Jon accomplished a particularly notable feat when he rode Double Play to a finalist position in both the NCHA and NRCHA Futurities. His winning ways continued with the 1999 World's Greatest Horseman Reserve Championship and the 2002 Magnificent Seven Championship. In 2003 Jon captured both the NRCHA Open Derby win as well as the Hackamore Classic Open Championship. He took the NRCHA Derby Open Championship again in 2004, and rode to the number two leading Open Reined Cow Horse position. In 2005, Jon succeeded in topping his 1999 efforts and won the coveted World's Greatest Horseman title.

Jon's son, Clay, seems destined to ride the reined cow horses as well. However, in the horse world, Jon notes that this generation had both its advantages and disadvantages. "Clay wants to go show at the Snaffle Bit Futurity and he's done real well at the cutting in the high school rodeos and such. But I started a lot of colts before I ever got to go show a cutter or a reined cow horse. I had to learn the foundation…how to be soft, and not scare them and such," Jon reminds. "Clay has ridden some of our older horses, maybe a three-year-old here and there and he's got feel and good hands, but I believe in the process of learning by coming up through the ranks," says Roeser. "You learn a lot by starting the colts. But then again he's fifteen, and ahead of where I was then in a lot of ways. He knows how to go stop and turn one around. I just knew how to go lope circles, not a lot about training for the shows." Clearly Jon Roeser has come a long way since his fifteenth birthday.

There is no doubt today that the name Roeser remains synonymous with success in the reined cow horse world. And, while the accomplishments of the individual family members are well worthy of respect, what resonates from their collective history…is a sense of unity. Whether the passing of Jim Roeser in 1997 was followed by an example of that unity or whether his death inspired it-one thing is especially clear. This is a family that has traveled its path together, always together. They have endured life's tragedies, and continued on, to graciously carry forth the legacy of the good Roeser name.

Ellie