PDA

View Full Version : Commandant says Iraq war winnable

thedrifter
10-12-06, 08:21 AM
Commandant says Iraq war winnable

Web Posted: 10/12/2006 12:07 AM CDT

Scott Huddleston
Express-News Staff Writer

The war in Iraq can be won, if Iraqi leaders can establish banking and justice systems, and other essential structures most Americans take for granted, the commanding general of the Marine Corps said Wednesday.

But the corps faces challenges ahead, said Gen. Michael W. Hagee, Marine Corps commandant.

Hagee, who grew up in Fredericksburg, will retire in January, ending four years as leader of the corps. On a stop to visit wounded troops Wednesday at Brooke Army Medical Center, he spoke about Iraq and the future of the corps.

One problem is the corps' current "1-to-1 tempo," which is forcing Marines to spend as much time in Iraq as they do at home before they redeploy.

"We need to get at least to a 2-to-1, where you're a year over and two years back" at home, he said. "One way is to increase the number of Iraq forces or the coalition forces."

Marines and other U.S. and coalition troops have made "significant progress" in Anbar province, where hostilities have been frequent, said Hagee, who visited the province last week.

"From a strategic standpoint it's going to take patience," and success by the Iraqi government and its people in supporting new economic, political and social elements, he said.

Anbar has gone from almost no Iraqi forces in early 2005 to two divisions today, Hagee said. As more Iraqis have provided patrols in Fallujah, the number of Marines on security duty there has dropped from about 5,000 to 300 in the past year.

"The security situation has changed very greatly since we went in there. Now, it's still very dangerous," he said.

Economic progress is sprouting in Anbar, with new housing, markets and gas stations. But Iraqi soldiers get five days off each month when they're paid, because it's the only way to get money home to their families.

"Since there are no banks, people walk around with their money they have on them," Hagee said. "We help the Iraqi army, and if they provide security, that provides a better environment for those other elements of national power. That's why I believe that we can win this war."

Though Congress appropriated funds this fiscal year for 175,000 Marines, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld has given authorization to keep the current force of nearly 184,000, including just over 4,000 active reservists, Hagee said.

It remains to be seen, however, how long supplemental funds will be provided. The corps estimates it would need an additional $5 billion more in the year ahead to restore equipment to its pre-9-11 state.

"People talk about the long war, and I think it is a long war," he said. "It's a war of ideals, and it's really important that we're successful in that."

One reason Hagee said he visits BAMC every two months is to thank the troops of all armed services — and their families — for their sacrifice. Another is to tell patients: "You've got one job, and that job is to get better."

Hagee spoke of one patient at BAMC, a lance corporal who was severely burned, with his jaw wired shut.

"He's sitting there, he can't really move, and he's saying: 'Sir, all I want to do is get better and get back to my unit.' He's probably 19," Hagee said.

"I'm so proud of our Marines," he said. "They don't want to die, but they're willing to. They're really willing to give up everything — family, loved ones, and they do it, I think, because they believe in something larger than themselves.

"That's true honor. You can't buy that, and we can't lose that."

shuddleston@express-news.net

Ellie