PDA

View Full Version : One answer I can't find about Force Recon

mpd6764
10-06-06, 05:57 PM
My youngest son is determined to become a marine. Although I am terrified of the prospect of something happening to him (his father - my beloved husband - just passed away last month) I am determined to support his decision to serve his country 100%. He is already aceing the ASVAB practice tests and is able to do what needs to be done to score 300 on physical training. He is 2/3 of the way through the required reading. He really does have his "all s*#t in one sock". Now he is telling me that he wants Force Recon. I have found a lot of information on it but I can not find any statistics on how many new recruits that try for Force Recon actually make it. Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you for your time!

sgt tony
10-06-06, 09:57 PM
There are very few that do but those that are picked go through a lot more training before they make it into the field. You did not say how old your son is or what grade he is in high school. You will find out that all Marines are Grunts and the there is there MOS. If Your son decides to go then he is looking at the best and not like the rest.

mpd6764
10-06-06, 10:16 PM
Thank you for your help. I assumed that the percentages were very low. I don't want to discourage him from trying - I just want him to be prepared for all possible outcomes. As worried as I am about him getting hurt (or worse) I am relieved that he chose the Marines - At least I know that he will be well trained by the best! My son just turned 17 and is already done with high school. I home schooled him last year so that he would be able to spend more time with his dad after he got sick. We moved through the classes he needed a little more quickly than he could have in a traditional classroom. That brings up another question - does the Marine Corp accept homeschool diplomas as Tier 1? I found a little information about it but nothing specific to the Marine Corp.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-06-06, 10:21 PM
He will need to go get 15 college credits.

mpd6764
10-06-06, 10:23 PM
Thank you! Any paticular courses?