PDA

View Full Version : Murtha Brings Out Political Artillery At Rally

thedrifter
10-01-06, 09:22 AM
Murtha Brings Out Political Artillery At Rally

(KDKA) JOHNSTOWN Ahead in the polls but under attack by critics for his stance on the war in Iraq, Congressman John Murtha held a rally today for his re-election.

He defended his position on the war.

The former Marine brought out some heavy political artillery for ground support.

“Let me tell you that, in my view, Jack Murtha's critics don't know Jack,” said Sen. Bob Kerrey, a Medal of Honor winner.

“I'm up here for Jack Murtha. He is a great man, he is your congressman. And he is one of America's real heroes,” said Gen. Wesley Clark, former NATO supreme commander.

Considered a behind-the-scenes mover and shaker, and one who could work with the other side of the aisle, Murtha has come under attack after he criticized Marines accused of atrocities against Iraqi civilians and saying the war was militarily unable to be won.

“This is a failed policy, wrapped in illusion,” Murtha said.

But supporters of the war disagree.

“We have first information of guys coming back from Iraq, saying, you got to get rid of this guy Murtha,” said Larry Bailey, a Navy Seal who went to Vietnam.

He’s behind a rally planned for Sunday, calling for Murtha’s ousting from congress. Murtha’s comments about Marines’ accused atrocities sent Bailey on a mission.

“It wasn't just because he said that. He was doing that in context of advancing his own political career, now being the tip of the spear of the anti-war movement,” Bailey said.

Bailey acknowledges Murtha was a past friend of the military but says that was then, this is now and all’s fair in love and this political war.

“The route we have chosen is in a sense the dark side. We emphasize the negative,” he said.

jinelson
10-01-06, 11:43 AM
By Rich Cholodofsky
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 30, 2006

Murtha used gov’t Veterans Affairs Office to promote, bus vets into his political rally

Westmoreland County Republicans on Friday accused county government officials of promoting the campaign of U.S. Rep John Murtha using taxpayer resources. John Panichella, the director of the county's Veterans Affairs Office, is coordinating a bus trip for this morning's pro-Murtha rally in Johnstown and doing so from his fifth-floor office in the courthouse, according to Westmoreland GOP Chairman Perry Christopher. "It's not proper use of government and it's not right," Christopher said. "This is a partisan event, and I don't think he can use his office like that. It makes it look like the department of Veterans Affairs supports Murtha, and I don't believe the county can do that." Panichella did not dispute the allegations, but said he never viewed his efforts as political. He said representatives from Murtha's campaign contacted him several weeks ago and asked that he coordinate the bus trip so local veterans could attend the rally. Panichella said no county tax dollars are being used to pay for the bus or any of his organizing activities. "I was organizing veterans in support of John Murtha. It didn't matter if they were Democrat or Republican," Panichella said. On literature promoting the Murtha rally, Panichella is listed as a local contact for veterans who wanted to attend the campaign event. He is identified as head of the county's Veterans Affairs Office along with a telephone number that rings through to his desk at the courthouse. Panichella said he never cleared his actions through the county's law department. Assistant County Solicitor Debra Nicholson said she had no information about the issue nor was she aware if Panichella had violated any county ordinances by promoting political activity while on the job. Westmoreland County Commissioner Tom Balya, a Democrat and Murtha supporter, called Panichella's actions a minor impropriety. It was an unintentional mistake by Mr. Panichella and it won't happen again," Balya said. Murtha, a Johnstown Democrat, was first elected in 1974 and is seeking his 17th term in office. He is facing Republican Diana Irey, a Washington County commissioner, in the November election. Panichella, a registered Democrat, said he would provide the same assistance to veterans who wanted to attend a pro-Irey campaign rally.

Rich Cholodofsky can be reached at rcholodofsky@tribweb.com or (724) 830-6293.