PDA

View Full Version : Going On Recruiting Duty

cplbrooks
10-01-06, 01:01 AM
OK poolees, i am going on recruiting duty starting next week. I have some questions for the poolees on here. How many of you are actively refering contacts to your recruiters? How many of you have referals already in the DEP?

How did your recruiter make first contact with you? was it over the phone, at your school etc? How long from the initial contact did it take for you to be committed to joining?

I know i have answered plenty of your questions and this is cool to be the one asking you questions? Your answers will be a big help to me.

Marusak
10-01-06, 01:08 AM
I contacted my recruiter, he didnt give me speaches or anything. I asked questions, he gave answers. If something did not seem right, he passed it up the chain and gave me answers within 10 min. All my friends who are cut out for it are already Marines, so nope, no referals.

Basically, my recruiter was real to me, and earned my respect. That made me decision solid that I wanted to go in now.

Kildars
10-01-06, 02:29 AM
Me and my friend had no idea what the recruiting process of the Marine Corps was, we figured we could just walk in, sign papers, make sure we could do some pullups and go to boot camp.

I just walked into the recruiting with me and a buddy ready to sign my life away, my recruiter told me, "It takes a special person to make it to the final door, it's a hard one to reach." (My recruiting office was one long hall and Marine Corps was all the way in the back).

I refered only my buddy to join, and my cousin. Cousin is in dep currently and best friend is already a LCPL (We were gonna join on the buddy system.) My recruiter was just honest with me, didn't pressure me, never acted like he had to meet a quota or he got paid to get people to sign (which they don't.) answered all my questions and made sure I didn't have anymore, pretty much he didn't act like a used car salesmen. He earned my trust and my respect -- he fought for me more than I thought he did when I originally posted my "Hearing Question" thread.

Anyone asking me to Join I send to him, awesome guy.

Achped
10-01-06, 08:45 AM
I've always wanted to join the military, and had been applying to Army ROTC scholarships when I sent off for some information from the Marines.

This is the difference, and every poolee I know chose the Corps over other branches for this reason. Every single one.

The Army:
"Strength for now, strength for later." When you get in, we'll give you loads of $$$, benefits, and training for when you get out.

The Marine Corps:
"Earn this metal, and you'll have the strength to succeed" Maybe, maybe if you make it in and earn the title Marine, you will be a completely changed person and be above all others, but we can't promise you you'll make it. And you probably won't make it rich through us. And you'll probably have it worse than all the other services. But you'll be a Marine.

I mean, just look at the difference in commercials. Army "I found someone to pay for me to go to college." Marines "There are a select few, who at their very core, are capable of incredible transformation."

My recruiter called me one day and started talking to me, you know asking the do you have kids q's etc etc. So I went in and talked to her. She was the only recruiter at the time, and as was the case with Kildars, the Army, Navy, and Air Force all had HUGE offices with like 8 recruiters. My RS had 1 Marine (normally there are 2, but they were switching people up)

My buddy I work with convinced me, mainly to join the Corps, if I have to credit someone. He's a Marine reservist. Told me if I was so gung ho to want to be an Army Ranger and "lead the way", why not go "all the way"?

I'm glad I did.

And yes, him and I go out on Fridays and get referals at malls and stuff.

At first I was skeptical of my recruiter, she did everything I was told not to trust her for. "Oh, sign open contract, we'll figure it out later."

Well, "later came" and I didn't have my UH contract, then she was trying to get me to go for 0200 intelligence. Still no contract though. But it just took a while, after all I do have 8 months before I go.

JmikeJr88
10-01-06, 08:51 AM
I just got my promotion before I headed to boot camp to PFC contract due to recruiting 2 people. My recruiter said he hates doing what he has to do just because it's not the definition of what the Marine Corps is about. Best of luck to you, seriously. I went through like 3 recruiters already and the first one who actually got me to join called a few times and then showed up at my door without me even talking to him, I was suprised of the initiative he showed and I appreciated everything about the Marines from there on out. Like Kildars stated "he did not try to act like a car salesman"... That was the best part about it. The Marines didn't promise us a rose garden and that is the way it should stay. Like I said, Best of luck Sir and enjoy what I hear from my recruiters is the longest hours everr.

dodint
10-01-06, 12:05 PM
OK poolees, i am going on recruiting duty starting next week. I have some questions for the poolees on here. How many of you are actively refering contacts to your recruiters? How many of you have referals already in the DEP?

How did your recruiter make first contact with you? was it over the phone, at your school etc? How long from the initial contact did it take for you to be committed to joining?

I know i have answered plenty of your questions and this is cool to be the one asking you questions? Your answers will be a big help to me.
I'm not actively referring contracts to my recruiter. I'm a "special" case though, I'm living in a seasonal job and don't know anybody at all in this part of the country.

I contacted him and made an appointment. It took about a month between first contact and DEP in, because of the constant bumbling between MEPS and the RSS. (Not a shot at the recruiter, more a shot at MEPS itself.)

They do push really really hard at my RSS for the POOLees that are in HS to get their friends, family, whoever in to see the recruiter. Lots of promotional gifts, etc. I already have contract PFC for college, so that combined with being 23 and not knowing anyone here really has kept me from bringing in applicants. (I also live over an hour from the RSS in the middle of nowhere.)

Barret
10-01-06, 12:08 PM
I have a recruiter that used to call me alot until he found out I was 16. He got a hold of me because I registered that I was interested about the Corps on a website.

Accord
10-01-06, 02:26 PM

My recruiter didn't contact me, I contacted him. I called the RS and setup an appointment, I was committed to joining long before ever talking a recruiter.

I've referred a few people to my recruiter, but none have actually DEP'ed in yet.

Shipping061008
10-01-06, 09:48 PM
Well, as far as sending my recruiter referrals, negative. My situation is I have already been attending college, and so all my friends are in college, and none of them want to join any branch of the military because they like things the way they are. I've talked to them, and its always "No," and "Your nuckin futs."

I was actually NEVER contacted by a recruiter from the Marines. I was however contacted by all the other branches during my junior and senior years. And I almost joined the Army instead. I ended up doing my research and just thought the Marines better suited my state of mind, I suppose. I'm one of those real competitve people, I want to be the best at everything I do, well, the Marine Corps is the "tip of the spear" and "The Few. The Proud." so I guess that appeals to me more. Not to mention, Recruit Training is way more intensive, which also appeals to me. That will probably change as soon as I get off the bus next week though, I will think I'm "nuckin' futs" myself, lol.

Oh yeah, the point... basically, my buddy got back from boot camp and I had been really wanting to join and he came over to my apartment, and said he had to go to the RS later and I went with him, intent on joining. So, my recruiter really didn't have to sell it to me, I went in there, told him what I wanted, he got it for me, and I've been doing my best to prepare every since.

So, cplbrooks, I don't know if that will help much, because I probably am a little different than most people, no one had to sell joining to me, whereas most people are probably a little unsure of their decision and they need to be persuaded a little. But, hopefully there is a little info somewhere in my story that will help you be successful in recruiting.

cplbrooks
10-01-06, 10:05 PM
It seems to me that every poolee on this site is a recruiters dream.

MackMaster
10-01-06, 10:07 PM
I met a guy who wanted to be an army ranger. So I told him about the Marine Corp and he DEPed in a week later. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
score:
me-1
army-o

chapman
10-01-06, 10:08 PM
I walked into the recruiter's office, and he said, "What can I do for you?" and I said, "I think I want to be a Marine." and he said, "You THINK, or you KNOW?" and I said, "I know I want to be a Marine." and the rest is history. He answered all of my questions... and addressed my biggest concern, which was college, and finishing my degree in the Corps. I am in contact with him 3 or 4 times a week, and run PT with him every Thursday.

dodint
10-01-06, 10:59 PM
It seems to me that every poolee on this site is a recruiters dream.

The Poolees on this site are the ones that are motivated to be an active part of their own recruitment, so it's not surprising that you're getting responses like this. When I met my recruiter for the first time I had answers for all his questions, all my med docs ready, and all the info for my SF-86 on hand. Even already had the ASVAB done.

Most whiney on the fence stoner types don't have the Moto to hang around at a Leatherneck forum all day.

And I like it that way.

To add a little about my experience. I walked in, told my recruiter I wanted to be a Marine, and he said he would get me a ship date and the best deal the Marines had to offer. The rest is up to me. He's followed through at every turn, even when I thought I was being jerked around, it turned out he was just going to bat for me even though it meant a hard day for him. I wouldn't change a thing.

jinelson
10-01-06, 11:17 PM
dodint I couldnt agree more with you!

Jim

quillhill
10-02-06, 01:56 PM
Oh, I can't bloody help it. I have to stick my nose in. Sorry, cplbrooks, it's the journalist in me. : -)

I just had this thought. I know in the Seattle area there have been efforts (by parents) to keep the recruiters out of the schools and basically as far away from their precious little children as possible. Are there any restrictions in the area where you will be working as recruiter as far as access to students in public schools?

I work very close to a pair of recruiting stations. There is one less than two miles from my office. I believe it's the Army and Marine Corps. Last summer, while I was at Lake Meridian doing a story on lifeguards, the recruiter from the Kent USMC office wandered through the park with a pair of fresh privates. It was interesting watching him interact with the teens who were there to swim and meet members of the opposite sex. Turns out his wife was at the park with their kids. Heh. Had I not been busy working on a completely different topic, I would have grabbed him and asked him how much success he has doing that kind of thing.

The other recruiting station is in Tukwila (which I believe is the one Kildars is referring to). The photo in my gallery of the pull up bar in front of the Marine Corps seal was taken there earlier this year. Tukwila has a huge shopping mall and tons of retail surrounding it, so I often see the Army recruiters out to eat. Heh. Or I saw a pair them in their cammies at Best Buy. I meant to grab them and ask how the recruiting was going, but they disappeared before I had the chance.

Anyway, I digress. I am very interested to see how recruiting duty goes for you, cplbrooks. I am sure the younguns on here will continue to give you useful information about their recruiting process.

Slathe
10-02-06, 02:18 PM
Well, my famly... Sis, brother in law, and mother, requested that I come back down to California to visit them and enlist here... I was thinking about enlisting in the Idaho. I had the option of waiting an extra week to take a plane, or hopping on a bus two days latter... I just took the bus, because my leaving situation is just as misrable as a 3 day bus trip and also because I could change my situation with in the week required to wait for the bus. I had allredy desided before I got on the buss. Just talked to the Marines and Air Force to conferm that I made the right discion... My bother in law is a marine, staff sargent (I'm pretty sure) in crash crew. The recruter is a gunnery sargant that he worked with in the past. I prety much waked in, asked some questions, left, and then came back ready to sign up... My only problem is I don't have the best counseling on MOS's... Well I don't really have any other then 2800 is reserved for me...

devildoghopeful
10-02-06, 02:35 PM
[To the Moderators: If I as a 'Marine Friend' don't rate this kind of post please delete it]

Slathe, I feel I should say it before a Moderator or Marine jumps down your neck about it, you need to check out the Pool(ee) Hall rules. Your spelling needs serious sorting out, and NEVER forget to capitalise the word 'Marine'. Just saying it nicely before you get yelled at by someone.

Now for Cplbrooks: In the UK, there are no USMC recruiters. However, I know that I (and many others here in England) would appreciate military recruiters making appearences. Not necessarily canvassing for recruits, but just being there - in my opinion the best opportunities for recuitment are at big, public events. Didn't that Illinois recruiter recently get the 'Centurion' by means of being an organiser and in some instances a participant in various community and charity events?

devildoghopeful
10-02-06, 02:44 PM
Here's the link to the Centurion Recruiter
http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/ac95bc775efc34c685256ab50049d458/db742490cf6ad569852571d3005cc929?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,Centurion

Brass
10-02-06, 06:14 PM
Just don't ask that dopey question of "where do you see yourself in five years?" I hated that question, I probably looked like a moron as I spent 3 whole minutes searching for some semblance of an answer.

cplbrooks
10-02-06, 09:09 PM
Well my first day was interesting and very long. I just got home and it is about 10pm. I have a lot to learn. I will keep you posted. I hope this will make me a better source to answer poolee questions.