PDA

View Full Version : Here’s to you Mrs. Robertson

thedrifter
09-26-06, 08:22 AM
U.S. MARINE CORPS FORCES, PACIFIC, CAMP H. M. SMITH, Hawaii (Sept. 25, 2006) -- From the Marines at U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Pacific and those who have passed through its doors in the last 40 years, a heartfelt thanks goes out to Mrs. Ramona Robertson.

For nearly four decades she dedicated her life to service, not only to MARFORPAC, but to every Marine who has had the pleasure of meeting her.

“Ramona has done so much, and is willing to do so much. It’s going to be extremely difficult to replace someone who takes such pride in her work,” said Lt. Gen John F. Goodman, Commander MARFORPAC.

Mrs. Robertson started working for the Marine Corps in December 1966 as a transcriber typist. In October 1979 she became executive secretary to the commander, Fleet Marine Force Pacific.

Then in July 1994 she took on the additional role of assistant protocol officer while maintaining her responsibility as executive secretary until September 1996.

Mrs. Robertson could not begin to talk about which commanding general was her favorite. She felt it was to hard to single one out and just not polite to even try.

“I cannot answer that question because each one had their own special personality,” she said.

Though she could not pinpoint any one general, she does hold every one of them in high regard.

“I am in awe of their ability to look forward into the future of the Marine Corps with a positive and wise outlook. They truly know where the Corps is headed and I am amazed by their ‘memory bank,’” she said. “They have the unique ability to understand the demands and implementation of solutions for events involving the military, civilian and those in the political arena as well as stepping forward in time of world-related humanitarian needs.”

While she had many great things to say about the ones she worked with and for, they have an equal amount of praise to heap upon her.

“I have known Ramona since 1999, and we worked together for two years until my departure from Hawaii in July 2001,” said Lt. Gen. Frank Libutti, USMC, (Ret.), former MARFORPAC commander. “She was one of the most diligent and professional individuals I’d ever had the great, good fortune of serving with in my 35 years of service in the Corps. Her dedication was 10 plus on a scale of 1 to 10.”

“She has served with 17 commanding generals and countless upon countless individual Marines, and we are all better for having known her,” said Gen. Charles Krulak, former MARFORPAC commander and Commandant of the Marine Corps.

Lt. Gen. W. C. Gregson, USMC, (Ret.), former MARFORPAC commander, had nothing but good things to say as well.

“The most important thing for all to know is that she is a wonderful person, and the Marine Corps is fortunate to have her in our ranks,” he said.

Mrs. Robertson has seen the almost every aspect of the commanders she has worked for, and as hard as one might ask, she has nothing negative to say. She is far too genteel.

“I have some very funny stories but I will never tell you what they are,” she said, laughing.
For her former bosses, some of their fondest memories of Mrs. Robertson are those concerning her compassion for Marines.

“I have many memories, but the most touching is the way she felt for every one of our casualties, as if she had lost a close friend,” said Gregson.

Many of those who have worked with Mrs. Robertson have pleasant memories of their experiences with her, even after they left MARFORPAC.

“I have some very fond memories of Ramona. When I was commandant I would fly to Hawaii and no matter what time it was, four in the morning or midnight, she would be there with a lei and a smile for me,” said Krulak. “It was like coming home.”

Even though Mrs. Robertson never served in the military, she has the dedication that every Marine should have.

Mrs. Robertson says her job is no different than that of a secretary in the civilian world, but her humility is just as strong as her dedication.

She performs a multitude of tasks for one of the most influential military leaders in the world; planning his schedule down to the minute and ensuring he has everything he needs to accomplish his mission.

Day after day and year after year, she continues to come to work and her love for her work never fades.

“I am not the ‘sit at home’ type, and working in a positive teamwork environment is stimulating. The satisfaction of being part of the MARFORPAC team is as rewarding as any other team effort,” she said.

Even after so many years, it never really dawned on her just how long she had been working with the Marine Corps.

“I actually never really thought that I had worked with the Marines for 40 years. It was more like 28 years, serving as the Secretary to the Commanding Generals,” she said. “I never thought to add the other 12 years working here at Camp Smith, but lo and behold, I've been coming through the doors of MARFORPAC for 40 years. What a surprise!”

So why did Mrs. Robertson choose to work for the Marine Corps?

“I started here, and well, I love the Marine Corps,” she said, laughing.

Mrs. Robertson, born and raised on Oahu, has seen many things change in her time here. She has watched pineapple fields and palm groves turn into housing additions and highways. She has also witnessed the evolution of her beloved Marines.

“The young enlisted have changed. When I started they were made up of high school dropouts or those who were given the choice of going to jail or joining the Marine Corps. That’s a different breed when you think about it. Then they changed the rule and said only high school graduates could join, which changed the mentality.”

Still the Corps continues to change. For Mrs. Robertson, this change has been for the better.
“Now you have what you have today. The enlisted people are brilliant. Anyone who can work the computers the way they do today and learn all the things they have to know is just mind-boggling,” she said.

“It’s amazing to see what the Marines were like when I joined and what they are today. It’s nice to see their type in the military.”

Even when Marines had stopped working for her directly, she continued to support them and treat them with the utmost respect, just as she continues to treat the Marines who have replaced them with respect.

“Miss Ramona makes everything run a lot smoother. When I first got here I was very nervous working with the general every day,” said Pfc. Melissa Babcock, MARFORPAC, staff secretary administration clerk. “She helped me in my transition, and she made it easier for me to work with the general. She treats the colonel with the same respect she treats me with, a Pfc.”

While Mrs. Robertson will be retiring from her service to the Marine Corps, she hopes she has made some sort of difference.

“The only difference I may have made is the fact that I can be an example to others that one can stay on the job for all these years and still enjoy waking up in the morning and wanting to go to work,” she said.

This is a goal many know she has achieved. If anyone thinks they cannot enjoy what they do for a living, they need only look at Mrs. Robertson.

“I love my job, everything about it. I guess it’s the personalities that come into my life. I am a people person; I have always told people I love my job. I have never really thought about why,” she said. “If I was to say anything, it’s about being a part of something that’s important to the world as far as I’m concerned.”

With Mrs. Robertson leaving our ranks, it will be hard to fill the gaping hole she leaves.
“It will certainly be difficult to replace her experience, but she will be close by and I’m sure her service to MARFORPAC and our Corps will not end, it will just be of a different type,” said Gregson.

“Yes, it will be difficult to find a person to fill her shoes; however, I’m confident a suitable replacement will be found…I sure hope so,” Libutti added.

No matter what happens now, Mrs. Robertson says she is pleased with her experiences and wishes all those she has worked with feel the same.

“I would like to add that it has been a rewarding experience to have been associated with the Marine Corps and I will sorely miss all who entered my life and touched my heart,” she said. “What a wonderful 40-year journey.”

Ellie