PDA

View Full Version : Force Recon Work-Out?

WhiteRabbit
09-17-06, 02:09 AM
No, this is not another "Can you tell me about Force Recon, please?" threads. It's actually about the type of workout the Recon Marines perform, and if the Recon Ron workout (which I have heard mentioned somewhere on these boards) is it or not. I'd just like to get the most information I can before making my final decision. My ultimate goal is HALO school, as many have read thus far from my recent posts, but hell, being SF itself would be awesome! First things first, preparing body and mind.

So let me have it, Marines! What's your take on the Recon workout?

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-17-06, 02:20 AM
No, the Recon Ron workout isn't necessarily what a recon unit would do for PT. But, remember SF is Army, so you're in the wrong place for that. As for HALO school, I don't know why that's your goal, but if you become a "dual cool" recon machine you'll get there.

The actual PT for any unit, recon or admin, isn't something that one can just write down. It is what the commanders want it to be. If you're wanting to get ready to try to be a recon guy I would recommend you look around the web for some workouts that are focused on getting people ready for BUD/S. They seem to be about the best "military style" workouts around. www.getfitnow.com is the best place I know for this stuff. It isn't as active as it used to be, but look in the archives, good stuff there.

WhiteRabbit
09-17-06, 02:26 AM
Ah I understand now, thanks Echo. Well whenever I say SF I consider that SEALs, Recon, and Green Beret. You know, the top echelon of the military combat units. Anyway, I'll definately give it a shot, sir, and again much obliged!

EDIT - HALO School is my goal because I would love to do combat jumps from 20,000 feet in the air. I think that would be among the coolest things one could ever do in the military. Thats my personal feelings on the matter, though. I need to sit down with the Gunny at my recruiting station and talk to him about Recon and the Jumpmaster course you can take with the Recon 'package', so to speak. If worst comes to worst, after my 4 years are up, assuming I make it into Recon, I can transfer over to Green Beret or whatnot and do HALO school from there.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-17-06, 02:36 AM
If you make it to any of the "high speed" type things in the military you will get your chance at HALO/HAHO training. I don't know why you seem to think Special Forces (what you're calling green beret) would have more people that are HALO qualified than any other similiar unit. I also can't understand how you could think about becoming a soldier after you've earned the Title of Marine. But, to each his own I suppose.

WhiteRabbit
09-17-06, 02:40 AM
Well, once a Marine always a Marine. I think of it this way - if I wasn't given the opportunity in the branch of service, then, after earning the title of course, I'll march my happy Marine arse over to the other branch, and do that training. But I honostly, swear-to-God-up-on-high, think that Recon would definately be qualified for HALO/HAHO School. I'm just looking out into the worst case scenarios here and what I would do to correct the situation.

By the way, if I don't make Recon the first time I try, I will always try again. Again and Again and Again until my contract expires or I make it. Like the quote, "You can take the man out of the Corps but you can't take the Corps out of the man." If I become a Marine, I'll always be a Marine until the day I die.