PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions

pyunje
09-14-06, 07:26 PM
Before I talk to a recruiter, I would like to ask the Marines of this forum for his/her insight and opinion to my situation. I would greatly appreciate it.

My Situation:
I have always had the desire to join the Marines after high school. Instead, I decided to do the college and job path first. Now, at 22 years old and recently graduated with a B.S. in mechanical engineering, my calling to join the Marines is evermore pressing.

At this point in my life, the typical office job is unfulfilling. While I sit at my desk in an air-conditioned room, there are fellow brothers and sisters making courageous sacrifices for this country. These sacrifices allow me to work at my job peacefully, but it also bothers me because I have not put in my time to deserve the fruits of those sacrifices. I want to be the one making those very sacrifices to keep this country as great as it is.

My Questions:
How could my engineering background be applied to the Marines? Does it even matter that I have a degree? (In other words, I feel that my engineering background could be an extra asset for me to contribute to the Marines.)
I have been athletic all my life. So, I feel that the physical challenges would not be a big problem for me. However, I am 22 years old. Would my age put me at any sort of disadvantage?
Am I crazy to be thinking like this: To have the desire andwillingness to leave the comforts of a “civilian” job so that I can put in my time in a military service? Some people think it is honorable and some disapprove. I’m not asking for approval—just for opinions.
Finally, are there any other suggestions that you may have if I decide to take this path to be a Marine? Any other questions I should be asking myself?I thank you for your time to answer these questions.

J-Ro
09-14-06, 08:36 PM
you'll find alot of information at www.marineofficer.com (http://www.marineofficer.com)

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-14-06, 09:18 PM
You will be fine if you want to elist. You aren't too old to do it, there will be older people in your platoon at boot camp. I think we've all been told we're crazy for enlisting, it goes with the territory. As for your degree, if you select an MOS field where it will be used, then you will be ahead of the game. But, you could also become a truck driver if you want to, its up to you.

As J-Ro hinted at with his posts, with a degree you are eligible to become a Marine Officer, assuming you have good grades, have stayed out of trouble, etc. This will likely be more accepted by your friends and family, will get you more money, and would probably use your education to its fullest.

J-Ro
09-14-06, 09:28 PM
Hey Echo, I don't think the acceptance is what this gentleman is looking for or what I was hinting at. I was simply hinting that he should look into this website as it will provide alot of information having todo with the Marine Corps (period). I could have went into detail about the perks of enlisting myself prior to going to college, but that would have been a whole new thread...

SgtGorman
09-16-06, 01:35 PM
Before I talk to a recruiter, I would like to ask the Marines of this forum for his/her insight and opinion to my situation. I would greatly appreciate it.

My Situation:
I have always had the desire to join the Marines after high school. Instead, I decided to do the college and job path first. Now, at 22 years old and recently graduated with a B.S. in mechanical engineering, my calling to join the Marines is evermore pressing.

At this point in my life, the typical office job is unfulfilling. While I sit at my desk in an air-conditioned room, there are fellow brothers and sisters making courageous sacrifices for this country. These sacrifices allow me to work at my job peacefully, but it also bothers me because I have not put in my time to deserve the fruits of those sacrifices. I want to be the one making those very sacrifices to keep this country as great as it is.

My Questions:

How could my engineering background be applied to the Marines? Does it even matter that I have a degree? (In other words, I feel that my engineering background could be an extra asset for me to contribute to the Marines.)
I have been athletic all my life. So, I feel that the physical challenges would not be a big problem for me. However, I am 22 years old. Would my age put me at any sort of disadvantage?
Am I crazy to be thinking like this: To have the desire andwillingness to leave the comforts of a “civilian” job so that I can put in my time in a military service? Some people think it is honorable and some disapprove. I’m not asking for approval—just for opinions.
Finally, are there any other suggestions that you may have if I decide to take this path to be a Marine? Any other questions I should be asking myself? I thank you for your time to answer these questions.

pyunje,

It seems that you like the Marine Corps than any other services. Since you already had a Bachelor degree; therefore, I recommend you to apply for Office Candidate School. The deadline for 10-weeks Officer Candidate Class in January 2007 is October 15. For more information contact the nearest Marine Corps Officer Selection Office, or known as OSO. If you contact the Marine Corps recruiter...it is more likely you are ended up as enlisted.

Based on your provided information; you are not too old. In fact, I believe the minimum age for the Officer Candidate is 21 and the maximum is 32. You'll be surprised to see prior service Gunnery Sergeant at the Officer Candidate Class.

Your mechanical engineering background is not really has to do with the Marine Corps, or it is depended. Unlike enlisted Marines, Officers are not guaranteed what specialty he or she receives. It is more likely 90% that you'll get what you ask for. I used to have an adjutant (Administration Officer); his background was in Rocket Science, but ended up as an adjutant. Most of the time...MOS is based on your academic at OCS and TBS.

The Officer Candidate School requires more physical challenge than Boot Camp. The question is do you want to be leader or follower? Every single Marine in the Marine Corps is a leader, but has different levels. Since you already had a Bachelor degree; therefore, the best way is Officer Program.

Well, here is my story. I graduated from High School in 2002. In joined the Marine Corps as enlisted that year…was shipped to Boot Camp. The last four years I served active duty, and attended off duty education. Finally I earned my Bachelor degree… Right now, I am working on the Officer Program application. If I am selected, then I’ll be off to Office Candidate Class in January 2007.

If you have any question about the process, just email me at hgorman1@gmu.edu . I’ll assist you as much as I can.

Good luck with your decission!

Semper Fi!