PDA

View Full Version : True colors are on display at patriotic tribute parade

thedrifter
09-10-06, 04:55 PM
True colors are on display at patriotic tribute parade

MURRIETA: The event honors victims of the Sept. 11 attacks, veterans and safety personnel.

10:00 PM PDT on Saturday, September 9, 2006

By RICK DAVIS
Special to The Press-Enterprise

MURRIETA - Red, white and blue was everywhere Saturday, shining even brighter when sunshine replaced a gray overcast in Old Town Murrieta.

A crowd of several hundred lined Washington Avenue for the United We Stand Parade, the third edition of the annual event staged as a commemorative tribute to victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

The event, also a salute to military veterans and public-safety personnel, attracted 55 entries that included the Murrieta Fire and Police departments, the San Diego Marine Corps Recruit Depot's color guard, a number of the region's high school marching bands and service organizations.

"This is a wonderful community event with special meaning," said Charles Collins, a Murrieta senior citizen who was dressed for the occasion with a Navy Top Gun baseball cap and red shirt. "My wife and I have been here every year. We just would not miss it."

The event was launched in 2004 by United Way of the Inland Valleys.

"What happened five years ago changed this country forever," said Chief Executive Officer Kevin McCarthy, whose United Way career of 19 years includes the last 11 weeks with the local operation.

"It reminded us we had people willing to go into burning buildings to save others, willing to go into neighborhoods where there was domestic violence, willing to serve overseas in the military on behalf of other Americans, willing to make sacrifices that were needed. Americans discovered we had people with the resilience to face tragic situations and deal with them."

This year's gathering seemed to cross generations. The audience featured a cross-section of the population, from fresh-faced youngsters waving flags to teenagers to baby boomers to seniors.

"It is important to show respect and have remembrances like this," said Bret Miles, a Corona resident whose daughter, Sara, was in the parade as a member of the Temescal Valley High School band. "This isn't just something to do on a Saturday morning. A lot of people tend to forget tragic events after a period of time."

Some of the loudest cheers went up near the reviewing stand when the Marines' color guard came by.

"Here come my boys," said Teri Simpkins. "Seeing the Marines just struck a special chord with me."

The event's solemn opening was marked by a ceremony and moment of silence honoring the nearly 400 public-safety personnel who lost their lives in rescue efforts following the terrorist attacks.

Ellie