PDA

View Full Version : First book Marine's tale: 'My Tour in Hell'

thedrifter
09-07-06, 08:10 AM
milestones: First book Marine's tale: 'My Tour in Hell' <br />
&gt; Vietnam war medal-winning veteran had another battle to fight after discharge — post-traumatic stress disorder &lt; <br />
By Ali Vinci <br />
Arizona...

MillRatUSMC
09-07-06, 08:45 AM
I must comment on the term "ex-Marine" Men or Women who have dishonored themselves by committing a crime are the only "ex-Marines".
"Former Marines" are our brothers and sisters, who have past on to guard Heaven's gates.
All those that remain are MARINES till the day they pass on...than they become "Former Marines".
I will look for the book at my local book store ASAP...
To add to my limited knowledge of PTSD, but like the author, it took a long time of seeking answers, at a time when there few answers if any.
So, we suffered alone, till one day, after treatment, what some thought was depression.
My shrink, suggest that I contact the nearest VA, because he thought it was PTSD.
The VA, gave treatment and refer me to the nearest Vietnam Veteran Center.
So I could talk to other veterans suffering from what I was suffering.
Turns out the director was a friend and a fellow Marine.
Out of his family three had served in the Corps.
My initial contact required that I fill out this questionnaire, on writing my answers, I finally found an answer in my brain that made sense.
"I was not God, and no way could I have prevented what happened during my time in Vietnam."
I had been seeking answers to the WHY of it all.
On returning seeking answers in a bottle became my relief because no one could really understand what darkness we saw in Vietnam.
And the pressures brought on our being starting with Rules of Engagement (ROE) to the pressures of leadership.
As I had been an Non-Commissioned-Officer (NCO) both times I was there.
The average grunt only had to worry about himself, NCO's had to worry about more than himself.
The sense of survival, was always in our minds, I think more than fear.
One nevers goes to war thinking I'm going to die, one goes thinking I'm going to survive this.
To thinking about dying, to me it seems like a "death wish".
The rumblings of an old veteran, who really 66 but feels at times like 90+
Wonder why?

Osotogary
09-07-06, 11:03 AM
Ricardo,
Thank you for sticking around. I have known family, friends, and acquaintances of veterans who have seen their returning loved one(s) just "disappear". It was a heavy burden to see and watch.
Once again, I'm glad that you stuck around and I'll offer a prayer for those less fortunate.