View Full Version : Tricare

09-03-06, 10:52 PM
As a vet, are we elegible for Tri-Care health insurance when we are out/inactive?

09-12-06, 09:50 AM
March 12, 2004

Updated January 6, 2005

Transitional Assistance Management Program: A Transitional Health Care Benefit For Service Members and Their Families

The Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) offers transitional TRICARE coverage to certain separating active duty members and their eligible family members. Care is available for a limited time.

Under the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005, effective Oct. 28, 2004, TRICARE eligibility under the TAMP has been permanently extended from 60 or 120 days to 180 days.

The four categories for TAMP are:

§ Members involuntarily separated from active duty and their eligible family members;
§ National Guard and Reserve members, collectively known as the Reserve Component (RC), separated from active duty after being called up or ordered in support of a contingency operation for an active duty period of more than 30 days and their family members;
§ Members separated from active duty after being involuntarily retained in support of a contingency operation and their family members; and
§ Members separated from active duty following a voluntary agreement to stay on active duty for less than one year in support of a contingency mission and their family members.

Active duty sponsors and family members enrolled in TRICARE Prime who desire to continue their enrollment upon the sponsor’s separation from active duty status are required to reenroll. To reenroll in TRICARE Prime, the sponsor or family member must complete and submit a TRICARE Prime enrollment application. Under TAMP, former active duty sponsors, former activated reservists, and family members of both are not eligible to enroll or reenroll in TRICARE Prime Remote or in TRICARE Prime Remote for Active Duty Family Members because both programs require the sponsor to be on active duty. Under the TAMP, the sponsor is no longer on active duty and is treated as an active duty family member for benefits and cost sharing purposes.

TRICARE Prime Enrollment and Reenrollment
Initial enrollment in TRICARE Prime occurs during the TAMP period―Family members whose applications are received through the 20th of the month are enrolled the first day of the next month. Family members whose applications are received after the 20th of the month are enrolled the month that follows. For example, if the application is received June 20, TRICARE Prime coverage for the family member begins July 1. If the application is received June 21, coverage for the family member begins Aug. 1.

Reenrollment in TRICARE Prime during the TAMP period―Members and their eligible family members who want to retain TRICARE Prime, must complete an application to reenroll in TRICARE Prime. This reenrollment form will ensure that TRICARE Prime coverage continues with no break in coverage.

Eligibility for the TAMP for sponsors and family members is determined by the sponsor’s Service branch and information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System. Sponsors may verify eligibility for themselves and their family members by visiting or contacting the nearest military identification card issuing facility or contacting the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office toll free at (800) 538-9552. For additional TRICARE benefit information, sponsors and family members may visit the TRICARE Web site at www.tricare.osd.mil (http://www.tricare.osd.mil/). They also may contact their regional managed care support contractor or TRICARE Service Center representative. A list of the regional toll-free numbers is available on the TRICARE Web site at www.tricare.osd.mil/regionalinfo/ (http://www.tricare.osd.mil/regionalinfo/).

Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP)
After the TAMP eligibility expires, members and eligible family members may choose to enroll in CHCBP. CHCBP provides a conversion health plan similar to TRICARE Standard for a specific time (18 months) to former service members and their families who pay quarterly premiums. Eligible persons must enroll in the CHCBP within 60 days after separation from active duty or loss of eligibility for military health care under TAMP.

For more information about CHCBP, interested parties may check with a beneficiary counseling and assistance coordinator or call the contractor that runs the program toll free at (800) 444-5445. They can also refer to the CHCBP page of the TRICARE Web site at http://www.tricare.osd.mil/chcbp/default.cfm (http://www.tricare.osd.mil/chcbp/default.cfm), or write to Humana Military Healthcare Services, Attn: CHCBP, P.O. Box 740072, Louisville, KY 40201.

Detailed information regarding the CHCBP is available online at www.humana-************* (http://www.humana-*************/). Eligibility for CHCBP is determined through the military personnel offices.

Voluntary Separation Benefits
Service members who voluntarily separate under the Special Separation Benefit (SSB) or the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) options will be entitled to all of the benefits provided for involuntarily separated members. Members who choose the SSB or VSI options (and their families) may continue their health benefits by enrolling in CHCBP.

*See also: TRICARE Eligibility (http://www.tricare.osd.mil/Factsheets/viewfactsheet.cfm?id=174) Fact Sheet