PDA

View Full Version : Medical Records

AndrewG
08-26-06, 10:36 PM
My name is Andrew and I am a prospective candidate for OCS in the summer of 2007. I have a question about the disclosure of my medical records to MEPS. There is something on my medical record that disqualifies me from doing OCS and joining the Marine Corps. I was diagnosed with reactive airway disorder when was 5, but have since had no breathing troubles. However, three years ago when I was 17, the doctor prescribed me an inhaler to use because I was very sick. Although I do not remember using it, the inhaler prescription is still on my record. This inhaler use is an automatic disqualifier for MEPS and OCS. I was told that MEPS only knows what you tell them, so in other words, you don't have to be all the way truthful on your form. Is this an accurate statement? I know someone who has torn ligaments in his knees and never disclosed this on his medical form and now he is a Marine Officer. I am worried that by signing the Medical Release Authority, MEPS will find out about this inhaler use and disqualify me. I would do anything to join the Corps even if it means not being totally truthful on the questionaire. So, to sum it all up into two questions, does the Marine Corps/MEPS go over your entire medical record, or do they just look over what you supply them? And, is there anyway I can get around my inhaler use so I can still join the Marine Corps? Thank you very much for your help

Marine84
08-26-06, 10:50 PM
Tell the truth - once it's seen that you have no breathing problems, you could probably get some sort of waiver. ALWAYS tell the truth - if you don't and you DO have something come up later and it gets out - they won't even give a bus ticket home with a breach of contract.

Messenger
08-27-06, 07:46 AM
I too had reactive airway when I was younger and didn’t need an inhaler for a few years prior to joining the corps. For me this didn’t cause any problem at all. They knew about it when I joined and they were only worried about how long it had been since I had a breathing problem. I seriously doubt that this would effect your ability to join. Reactive airway is something that most people grow out of. While in the Marines a navy doctor gave me an inhaler to keep with me just incase but it was never needed.

I guess it is up to you if you tell them about it but honesty is a very important trait for any marine and all officers. A Marines integrity is just one of the many things that separate us from everyone else in the world.

Semper fi

GySgtRet
08-27-06, 09:25 AM
First of all. Welcome Aboard Leatherneck.

Now down to your questions. First off the Marine Corps works on principles integrity being right up there at the top. The question that you have if you have been told not to say anything well you know that at it is wrong then not to say anything.

The best thing that I can advise you on is to get a afidavid from the doctor that prescribed the inhaler and ask him to od a work up on the history of the inhaler. Then get the honest assessment from the doctor. You probably will be able to get a waiver. The waiver will have to go beyond the MEPS station though it will probably go to the Depot level. You are in New York state so probably Parris Island.

There is no shame in telling the MEPS that you have had a medical problem in the past and the longer time that has passed between the last needing of the inhaler the better. The real shame is that as qualified as you are and get to MEPS and disqualify yourself. I saw this happen a lot during my tour on recreuting duty.

Good luck at whatevre you pursue.