PDA

View Full Version : Jag Corps Question

OOOpivyOOO
08-08-06, 11:14 PM
Hello, my name is James (formerly Sgt. Brannen), and my question is in regards to the JAG Corps. I am currently a sophomore and within the next year have to start studying for my tests if I want to get into law school. I had planned on becoming a ground officer, but after meeting with a First Lieutenant going into the JAG Corps I decided to ask around and see what those of you who either are, where, or work around a JAG officer had to say about it. Basically I just want to know what you like about your positions, what you don’t like, and what you wish you would have known before entering into the JAG Corps. I know that I want to go back in the Corps, and am majoring in philosophy because I love arguments (and winning those arguments), but I just wanted get an insider’s view on the day-to-day life of a JAG officer. Thank You!
James

dscusmc
08-09-06, 06:08 AM
James - good luck on the LSAT. I accepted a commission through PLC-Law last summer. I'm in my third year, so I haven't gone through TBS or NJS. I clerk for a law firm that handles military cases (http://www.mcmilitarylaw.com/).

I can help you out with the LSAT, law school application, and PLC-Law stuff. I can also tell you what I've observed from working on various appeals with various defense attorneys. I know there is at least one Captain/4402 who peruses this site periodically.

Trial Defense Counsels (TDC), typically have a large case load. But, I think your day-to-day life depends dramatically on the command you are at. TBS has some FAQ's on the MyMOS page:
https://www.tbs.usmc.mil/Pages/MyMOS/All_MOS_FAQ_Detail.asp?MOSid=4402

Here is another good link:
http://www.marineocs.com/portal/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1568

Feel free to ask me any questions about the application process, law school, or clerking.

OOOpivyOOO
08-09-06, 09:11 PM
Thank you Lt. I do actually have a couple of questions for you. Because I am only a sophomore I wont be taking my LSATs until next year. I plan to get into a summer study program. Also, because of my military credits and going to school in the summer full time I might be able to graduate a year early. Will this make a difference on when I should take my LSATs? For instance, if I graduate the fall of my senior year rather than the Fall following my senior year, would it make a difference if I took my LSATs so close to my graduation? This is kind of a technical question so I might just have to ask an advisor.
Another question I have is in regards to tuition assistance for law school. From what I have read, you can get up to $5200 a year from the Marines, but your obligation goes to somewhere from 6-8 years (I really don't care because I had planned on retiring from the Marines anyways). Is there anyother programs that will help pay for tuition besides the $5200 or the FLEP program? I know Law scholarships are few and far between and I don't want to spend the rest of my life repaying a loan. Any sugestions?
Thanks again
James

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-09-06, 09:58 PM
OOOpivyOOO, I know many people that are getting partial and/or full rides through law school. You just have to ensure your GPA and LSAT scores are high enough to make you a very attractive candidate and then "shop" around to see where you can afford to go. Its possible if you dedicate yourself to the process.

OOOpivyOOO
08-09-06, 11:57 PM
Hey Cpl., thanks for that info, Its only been this summer that I've really been looking into Law school rather than going straight in as a line officer. I am currently maintaining a 3.9 GPA and will study my ass off for the LSATs if I can get a full ride, that would be awsome!
Thanks
James

dscusmc
08-10-06, 09:38 AM
James - That's a tough call planning out when you want to take the LSAT. I graduated in the fall of '03, but most 1L law school programs don't start until the fall. So, I had to wait the spring and summer months before law school started. That made it tough to find a job / pay the bills for a few months. I worked as a security guard and then went and did some ADSW on funeral support.

I took the October 2003 LSAT. Initially, I had wanted to take the June 2003 LSAT, so I wouldn't have to take it in the middle of a school semester. I had attended a summer law school prep program at the Univ. of Texas at San Antonio: http://www.utsa.edu/ilpa/

They paid for a KAPLAN LSAT course. One of the conditions, was I had to take the October course and report my scores to them.

You may not want to take the LSAT that close to graduation for a number of reasons:

1. You are in the middle of a school semester and its a stressful test.
2. You are in the middle of applying to law schools and you probably will want your scores on hand.
3. Many schools use rolling admissions, so if you take the October test, you won't get your scores until around November. You won't get into the admissions process as early for rolling admissions.

I don't think that taking the fall test affected graduation. It didn't affect my GPA or performance in my other classes. The only thing it affected was the application process. Also, your LSAT score is good for a few years. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by graduating the fall following your senior year. You could always graduate in the spring - right?

The tuition assistance that I have used is MCTAP. You are correct that it is $5200 a year. Its not too early to talk to an OSO if you know you want to go the PLC-Law route. You can also take a look at MCO P1100.73B. In fact, you should talk to an OSO, because they are the experts.

MCO 1560.33 indicates that by accepting MCTAP you must serve 5 of your 8 year obligation on active duty, regardless of how much you accept. I was still receiving the MGIB during my first 1 1/2 years of school. That's another advantage of graduating as early as possible - preserving your GI Bill.

The Marine Corps will also give you $30K after your first tour if you extend for three more years: http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradmin2000.nsf/0872a7ac9a4c08a6852569b9000bc3f1/a7b84a67fb3c973c85257084006c229b?OpenDocument

There is speculation whether the Law School Education Debt Subsidy will be around in a few years. It all depends on whether HQMC is making its personnel quotas - otherwise, there is no need for it.

Other than that, its on you to find some scholarships. Some smaller schools may offer you academic scholarships on account of your grades and LSAT score. I chose a smaller private school partly because they gave me some scholarship money.

This may be the best advice I can give. If you graduate early, I would urge you to consider applying for OCS / PLC-Law as soon as you are accepted to law school. This way, you can attend OCS the summer before your first year. I got married that summer, so it was out of the question to begin with. Obviously, some people may have logistical challenges with going to OCS and then moving to a law school.

Your 1L year is tough enough without worrying about applying to PLC-Law. If you can knock out OCS before your 1L semester, you can dramatically reduce your stress that year.

Also, try and stay in shape during all this time. The PFT benchmark is fairly high for PLC-Law applicants. I know all of the PLC-Law guys in my platoon had applied with at least a 275 PFT.

Feel free to fire any questions at me. Remember, its not to early to talk to an OSO. I waited until I was in law school to speak with OSO - I should have started earlier. - S/F LT C

OOOpivyOOO
02-07-08, 01:56 AM
So, its been a while since I've posted here, but this thread is the sole reason that I signed up for leatherneck.com. Since my last posting I am now currently in my senior year and have been accepted to law school (some with full scholarship thank goodness) and am ready to start. The lieutenant that responded to my last posts was extrerely helpfull and I hope that he or she is still a member so that I can thank him/her. I am still interested in the Marine Jag program and have one more question though (to the lieutenant or others for that matter). If I decide to attend OCS during the summer of my 2L year will I still be able to come in as a 3 year Luitetentent?. I know that if I go to OCS and sign up before I finish my undergraduate degree I can get up to 3 years on my time, but does the same count if I commit before law school and go to OCS after a year in? It seems that the recruiters have stopped talking to me after I told them I wanted to get into the JAG program about 2 years ago (go figure), so I'm looking for some advise from this forum ( I just think there was some changing of the guard and my recruiter was transfered). Thanks for the help.