PDA

View Full Version : Marines bag for upcoming birthday celebration

thedrifter
08-07-06, 06:58 AM
Marines bag for upcoming birthday celebration
By Mary Louise Speer

This year local U.S. Marines from GSM Co., based at the Rock Island Arsenal, will joyfully celebrate the 231st anniversary of the Marine Corps together for the first time in several years.

Eleven Marines gave up their Sunday morning and bagged groceries for donations at the Hy-Vee store in northeast Davenport on 53rd Street. All funds raised will help pay for a formal Marine Birthday Ball on Nov. 11 in Davenport. The founding date of the Corps is Nov. 10, 1775.

“We’re trying to do something really nice for the Marines who have gone over(seas) and come back and for their families,” says Lance Cpl. Erin Sextonson of Bettendorf.

She arrived home in March after a five-month deployment to Camp Fallujah, Iraq, and she will celebrate her fourth anniversary as a Marine in October.

“I wanted something that would give me a driving force in college and really push me. The Marines do that for me. I’m really glad I joined. I would not trade it for anything,” she said.

People smiled and chatted with the Marines who wore camouflage and dress uniforms. A small boy clutching a toy car slipped money into a donation can before leaving the store.

Hy-Vee employees demonstrated the ins and outs of effective packaging before turning the group loose for four-hour shifts.

“This is the first time we’ve done this. They’re doing a great job and we couldn’t ask for better help,” said Tim McCracken, manager of general merchandise for the Hy-Vee store.

The Birthday Ball tradition dates back to the first formal celebration held in Philadelphia in 1925. During the ball, the first piece of cake is traditionally served to the oldest Marine and the commandant’s birthday message is read to the Corps, Sextonson said.

Reservist Adam Costello of Long Grove, Iowa, and a former North Scott High School wrestler, easily slipped back into old habits as he helped customers. The secret to success is to keep busy, keep the cashier happy and pay attention to the customer, he said.

Probably the most important warning is “don’t put the eggs on the bottom of the cart. They get mad about that,” he said. “Pretty much this is like a refresher for me. Coming and doing this brings back the training.”

Costello worked at the Hy-Vee at 2200 W. Kimberly Road in Davenport during high school. He joined the Marine Corps about a year and a half ago. His most exciting assignment to date was being part of a group that went to Okinawa, Japan, for a short stint.

“The coolest thing about the Marine Corps is its unity. We all pretty much stick together and get the job done,” he said.

The city desk can be contacted at (563) 383-2245 or newsroom@qctimes.com.

Ellie