PDA

View Full Version : Female general takes over Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego

thedrifter
08-04-06, 06:26 PM
Female general takes over Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego

Staff report

The first woman to head Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego took command today. Brig. Gen. Angela Salinas, who has 32 years in service, took the reins from Maj. Gen. John Paxton Jr., who was named commander of the Camp Pendleton, Calif.-based 1st Marine Division and received his third star today.

The depot graduates thousands of Marines from recruit training each year; however, there are no female Marines among them. Women who enlist in the Corps train at MCRD Parris Island, S.C., while men train at both depots.

Salinas began her career as an enlisted legal services clerk in 1974 following boot camp at Parris Island; she was commissioned in 1977. She served as the chief of staff for Marine Corps Recruiting Command in Quantico, Va., from 2004 until her assignment in San Diego.

http://www.marinetimes.com/content/editorial/editart/080409Salinas.JPG

rig. Gen. Angela Salinas became the first woman to command Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego in an Aug. 4 ceremony. —

Ellie

Marine84
08-04-06, 06:33 PM
Oohrah!

Yay! :banana:

One for the GIRLS! :banana:

:thumbup:

bigdog43701
08-04-06, 07:39 PM
Marine84,

u and them dancin' bananas!

hrscowboy
08-04-06, 08:53 PM
OMG please dont tell me this is true...

jinelson
08-04-06, 09:16 PM
I spoke with Brigadier General John Paxton and he wore only 1 star in January, if he is a LtGen 3 star now did he skip a star?

greensideout
08-04-06, 09:55 PM
If this is true, the Marine Corps may be headed down the same path of ruin as the Army has done.
The Marine Corps is a department of the Navy. THE MEN'S DEPARTMENT!
This is a joke, right?

RLeon
08-05-06, 12:42 AM
If this is true, the Marine Corps may be headed down the same path of ruin as the Army has done.

Nah, just Hollywood Marines ;) :D

thedrifter
08-05-06, 06:38 AM
Highest-ranking Latino woman assumes command of Marine Corp Recruiting Depot

By: PHILIP K. IRELAND - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO ---- With a ceremonial passing of the organizational colors, Brig. Gen. Angela Salinas, the highest-ranking Latino woman in the Marines, accepted command of the Marine Corps Recruiting Depot in San Diego on Friday.

Salinas will oversee the training of more than 18,000 Marine recruits each year. She will direct more than 1,600 Marine recruiters west of the Mississippi River as commander of the Western Recruiting Region. She will be responsible for more than 3,000 Marines, sailors, civilians and Coast Guardsmen on the base.

The diminutive Salinas ---- just over 5 feet tall ---- accepted command of the Marine Corps' West Coast recruit induction center on the parade grounds in front of Pendleton Hall in a 90-minute ceremony.

She replaces Maj. Gen. John M. Paxton Jr., who will soon take command of Camp Pendleton and the Ist Marine Expeditionary Force.

Paxton lauded Salinas as an able leader as he congratulated her on her new post.

"The Marine Corps has the foresight to put round pegs in round holes and give the awesome mantle of responsibility for leadership to the right person, and they have done so in Angie Salinas," Paxton told the audience.

Michael W. Hagee, commandant of the Marine Corps, sent Salinas a message that was read by an announcer over the loud speaker.

"Your wealth of experience makes you ideally suited to take the helm as commanding general," he said.

Salinas, 53, was the Marine Corps' first Latino woman selected to the rank of brigadier general, according to military officials.

Salinas thanked her superiors for their trust, saying that she looked forward to assuming the helm of the base.

"We will continue to attack the mission," she vowed.

Salinas punctuated her acceptance speech with humor as she thanked her "unusual family" for their continued support.

Paxton, Salinas said, is a tall man with big shoes ---- shoes she will endeavor to fill as she assumes his post.

"I'd like to think that someday I could stand as tall as you," she told Paxton.

"The guys up the road are getting a great man."

A 32-year Marine, Salinas remembered the day in 1974 when she enlisted in the Marine Corps at a post office in San Rafael. She wondered aloud if the recruiter had any inkling then that he was enlisting a future commander of the Marine Corps Recruit Depot.

She wondered the same of the "nice drill instructor" at Parris Island, S.C., where she took her basic training.

A graduate of Dominican College in San Rafael, Salinas majored in history. She earned a master's degree from the Navy War College in 1992 and is a graduate of the Amphibious Warfare School, the Navy War College's Command and Staff College and the Army War College.

Her decorations include the Defense Superior Service Medal, the Legion of Merit with a gold star and the Meritorious Service Medal with two gold stars.

In June 1989, Salinas assumed command of the recruiting station in Charleston, S.C., and became the first woman in the Marine Corps to command a recruiting station, according to the Marine Corps.

In June 1992, she became the first woman assigned as a combat service support ground monitor responsible for the assignments of more than 1,000 senior officers. She was the first female assigned as a plans and policy officer for a major combatant command in 1999, and in May 2001 when she assumed command of the 12th Marine Corps District. She has been named one of the top 100 most influential Latinos in the country, and one of 80 most elite women, according to the Marine Corps.

Contact staff writer Philip K. Ireland at (760) 901-4043 or pireland@nctimes.com.

Ellie

thedrifter
08-05-06, 07:25 AM
Marines name first woman to post <br />
<br />
By Sarah Gordon <br />
UNION-TRIBUNE <br />
<br />
Angela Salinas' life changed during a chance encounter at a post office in 1974. <br />
<br />
The college sophomore had walked there to...

Marine84
08-05-06, 12:02 PM
C'mon ya'll.................ya'll KNOW women are worse cause we can exercise our right to be a B!tch! :p

From the pic it looks like she's a nice lady but you know when she puts that uniform on and assumes the role of THE DOG every day at one of ONLY 2 Marine Corps Recruit Depots AND 32 years under her belt? That's just downright out-f'n-standing!

I bet none of you guys would want to have to go stand on the yellow footprints that you KNOW she has in front of her desk now - just think of how some sniveling little boot is going to feel when it happens to him! :D

I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall to see it and I'm DAM proud to be a WM!

hrscowboy
08-05-06, 10:45 PM
they should have sent her to PI where the women are..

FistFu68
08-07-06, 07:28 PM
:marine: DAM ,YOU YOU GUY'S WERE ALWAY'S GREAT WITH COMING UP WITH, CHIT~BUT THIS IS THE BEST YET! A WOOKIE RUNNING MCRD! AHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~'CUSE ME WHILE I GO TAKE A CRAP! :beer:

lifer1369
08-07-06, 07:53 PM
Well that should cut out the profanity about women in the pit...no more of those cute words or hog boards in the sqd bay! She might be in the passage way w/ sgtmaj. (wonder) who gets that post...The general goes and the sgtmaj goes too; Didn't think we had any (F) SgtMaj's that could fill in shoes as one looking like a bulldog, mean crusty and rip your lips off... but then again time will tell!

yellowwing
08-07-06, 08:14 PM
Is Donnie Rumsfeld behind this? Who appoints generals out of the DOD?

jennifer
08-07-06, 11:54 PM
LMFAO!! And I personally didn't think this was possible. The funny thing is that I know of a certain Sgt that was with the unit I am currently with, whom went through his Drill Instrucotr training and is now currently working at MCRD. HAHA, oh ya, the funny thing. Well, this certain Sgt does not believe females should be in the Marine Corps. He is a good guy and a good Sgt, just doesn't believe we shold be here. Well here ya go Sgt, now you are working for a female!! HAHAHA!! I wonder what the look on his face was when he found out about this. :banana: :banana:
Nah, just Hollywood Marines ;)

greensideout
08-08-06, 08:12 PM
Quote---"The Marine Corps has the foresight to put round pegs in round holes--"

When I read this in a speech by a Maj Gen it caused me to pause. "Foresight"? Good grief, every seventeen year old with raging hormones knows this concept well! I would interpet that as the Gen saying in a subtle way, "It's not the brightest thing that the Corps has ever done".
Maybe he just got his "digs" in---LOL. :D

greensideout
08-08-06, 10:59 PM
Physics 101

Seeley
08-09-06, 03:44 AM
Wtf?

Zulu 36
08-09-06, 06:34 AM
When it really comes down to it, who cares whether CG MCRD is male or female? The CG has other hats, including recruiting, which is probably the prime focus of that job. She also has a recruiting background.

The CG has the CO RTR to run actual recruit training. At San Diego, from this level downward it should be only males.

Ignition
08-09-06, 11:26 AM
When it really comes down to it, who cares whether CG MCRD is male or female? The CG has other hats, including recruiting, which is probably the prime focus of that job. She also has a recruiting background.

The CG has the CO RTR to run actual recruit training. At San Diego, from this level downward it should be only males.

that was what i was thinking about as soon as i read this.

LDO Capt
08-09-06, 12:21 PM
It don't matter one little bit. This Marine General has proven herself through the ranks, and probably has been through more scrutiny than her male counterparts. Remember the oath that we have taken and the part that goes "and obey the orders of the President of the United States, and the Officers appointed over me".

Nothing there about male or female...So the first word outa your mouth should be Ma'am and the last word should be Ma'am.

nuff said.....

FistFu68
08-09-06, 12:39 PM
:evilgrin: MA'AM EXCUSE ME WHILE THIS MARINE,GOES TO THE CRAPPER'MA'AM, I CAN DROP A LINE TO GENERAL PACE,AND REQUEST YOU ~CAPT.LDO~AS HER NEW DRIVER ,SEEM'S AS THOUGH TRIANGLE,HAS PUT THE ZAP OF LIGHT OF DAY ON YOU'R HEAD~MARINE!LMAO, :evilgrin: :beer:

Marine84
08-09-06, 06:38 PM
LOL - let me guess Fistfu68 - I bet you're one of them old salts that don't think women should be in "your" Marine Corps, huh? It's OK - all of us through the years have LOVED supportin' you from the rear.

And Capt - I wasn't going to say it but since you brought it up..............you're right, this lady HAS gone through more scrutiny than her male counterparts. All of us WMs have listened to it for as long as we've been able to enter the Corps - a lot of us it doesn't bother, it doesn't make us mad at any of the men that ever said "they don't belong in MY Corps". Some (like the General), it puts a vengence in to make it just as high up the chain as they can - and, contrary to popular belief, I'm sure she's not a dyke and she probably didn't screw her way up the ranks. Some women just want to be good Marines.

Semper Fi and IYAOYAS!

LDO Capt
08-09-06, 07:09 PM
:evilgrin: MA'AM EXCUSE ME WHILE THIS MARINE,GOES TO THE CRAPPER'MA'AM, I CAN DROP A LINE TO GENERAL PACE,AND REQUEST YOU ~CAPT.LDO~AS HER NEW DRIVER ,SEEM'S AS THOUGH TRIANGLE,HAS PUT THE ZAP OF LIGHT OF DAY ON YOU'R HEAD~MARINE!LMAO, :evilgrin: :beer:

Dang FIST, If you dont agreejust say so,no sense in sugar coating it...get to the point

greensideout
08-09-06, 08:01 PM
It don't matter one little bit. This Marine General has proven herself through the ranks, and probably has been through more scrutiny than her male counterparts. Remember the oath that we have taken and the part that goes "and obey the orders of the President of the United States, and the Officers appointed over me".

Nothing there about male or female...So the first word outa your mouth should be Ma'am and the last word should be Ma'am.

nuff said.....

Got to disagree Sir. It was pointed out that the Gen is a "female". That the Gen is "Latino". That the Gen is "5 ft tall". To notice that equals "slack" as "it must have been harder for you so you did better".
She put ice on her knees after a hump? Where did the ice come from?
Got to disagree Sir.

hrscowboy
08-09-06, 08:05 PM
OMG wheres the popcorn??

FistFu68
08-09-06, 08:12 PM
:usmc: I LOVE WOMEN MARINE'S! THE LEFT COAST THING IS FRIGGIN,OUTSTANDING~A WOOKIE RUNNING MCRD~SAN DIEGO,IS OUT OF A HOLLYWOOD SCRIPT! I REALLY AM STILL LAUGHING MY AZZ OFF!!! RESPECTFULLY~AKA.~FISTFU!:usmc:

Marine84
08-09-06, 08:33 PM
:p You guys.............

Arlene Horton
08-09-06, 10:17 PM
:marine: Oh, come on Marines. Remember, she worked for the rank and undoubtedly deserves the promotion. I, for another one, am PROUD. SF
:p You guys.............

greensideout
08-09-06, 10:25 PM
:marine: Oh, come on Marines. Remember, she worked for the rank and undoubtedly deserves the promotion. I, for another one, am PROUD. SF

I do agree that she worked hard for promotion.

greensideout
08-09-06, 11:06 PM
But---she had some things going for her in this PC world.

danjate1
08-09-06, 11:27 PM
Not to say that all WM's are like this, but all the one's I've known have had it really easy, and screwed there way into getting things and places. I forgot who said it earlier, but the General should be in P.I.. Maybe they should have tested the waters in P.I. first to see hoe it goes w/ the females. Although, time will only tell.

Respect is something Earned not Given!!! Semper Fi!!!

danjate1
08-09-06, 11:28 PM
Sorry, "how"

maureensmom
08-10-06, 06:24 AM
Well, I just found out that my daughter got promoted to Lcpl and her PDS is going to be San Diego. She won't be there until January, but WOW! I'll have to tell her about the female commander. Not sure what her reaction will be!

lifer1369
08-13-06, 11:09 AM
Well now that her height is published we all know that SgtMaj will be a short on too...Gotta be able to have photo shoot sqd away... I could just see Sgtmaj Pichler or Overstreet standing next to her! (1980's). They will have to lower the slop shute's bar so she can atleast order up a wet one! To say howdy at the reviewing stands in spanish really makes a great impression to all those cat 4's that could barley read the hand book for Marines, published in 9th grade english. kick it back you gals...love to hear the women of the corps grind out a few chuckles for us ole' salts keep on humping and icing those knees!

Marine84
08-13-06, 02:20 PM
With all due respect to the General - she could do like the rest of us short ones have done when the bar was too high - sit on one of ya'lls' lap and have YOU buying the drinks for us - :) :banana:

greensideout
08-13-06, 06:41 PM
With all due respect to the General - she could do like the rest of us short ones have done when the bar was too high - sit on one of ya'lls' lap and have YOU buying the drinks for us - :) :banana:

Don't forget your usefulness as a pedestal for a beer or pizza tray---;)

jennifer
08-13-06, 09:06 PM
WM's have to work twice as hard then males... when one gets promoted you have to be ahead of the game... For example, when I got merit Cpl I was getting snickers from my Marines in the shop. They were like, it's because she's a female and blah blah blah. You know how it goes. Well, now that I am a Cpl I have to step up even more and I have to work harder because I aint showing no weakness and because some think I don't deserve it and I am never letting a Male Marine see me cry. Especiall being a reservist and only have been in for 2yrs, that's pretty darn fast if you ask me. Everywhere I go I have to step it up and there will be Male Marines under, but tough luck, Frickin Deal With It!!

greensideout
08-13-06, 09:26 PM
WM's have to work twice as hard then males... when one gets promoted you have to be ahead of the game... For example, when I got merit Cpl I was getting snickers from my Marines in the shop. They were like, it's because she's a female and blah blah blah. You know how it goes. Well, now that I am a Cpl I have to step up even more and I have to work harder because I aint showing no weakness and because some think I don't deserve it and I am never letting a Male Marine see me cry. Especiall being a reservist and only have been in for 2yrs, that's pretty darn fast if you ask me. Everywhere I go I have to step it up and there will be Male Marines under, but tough luck, Frickin Deal With It!!

LMAO---Relax, we really do like ya Marine. Let it slide, that's the point. You earned it, now you have to prove it. No different for a male.

hrscowboy
08-13-06, 09:44 PM
jennifer you go girl i got your six darlin...

FistFu68
08-14-06, 04:19 PM
:usmc: CPL.Q,YOU ARE A VETERAN OF A FOREIGN WAR! THAT SPEAK'S FOR ITSELF~ATTITUDE CHECK~F--K~IT! TO THE BRAVE, GOOD~FORTUNE! :usmc:

LEADEROFMARINES
08-14-06, 04:42 PM
OORAH! WE'RE TAKING OVER. WING I'M BACK SO YOU'D BETTER WATCH IT! LOL:p IT'S ABOUT TIME WE HAD A FEMALE TO TAKE CHARGE OF THOSE &quot;NASTY MALE MARINES!&quot;:banana:

Susan12345
08-17-06, 01:14 PM
Hi All.

That's one for us girls.

Way to go.

Zulu 36
08-17-06, 03:44 PM
"NASTY MALE MARINES!":banana:

And your point is...? :beer:

Static_Sky25
08-17-06, 04:12 PM
“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”

Elenor Roosevelt.....

I personally thought the Point of being a Marine was having a good excuse to be a "Nasty Male" lol j/k

CorpsLife
08-17-06, 05:22 PM
repy to danjate1: (http://member.php?u=25115) <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_186656", true); </script>
You said "Not to say that all WM's are like this, but all the one's I've known have had it really easy, and screwed there way into getting things and places. I forgot who said it earlier, but the General should be in P.I.. Maybe they should have tested the waters in P.I. first to see hoe it goes w/ the females. Although, time will only tell.
Respect is something Earned not Given!!! Semper Fi!!!"

First of all: you must not have met many female marines.
Second: Male marine screw up MORE than female marines... I worked in legal, so I know.
Third: There's a lot you don't know about that General and you should research before you run your mouth... BGen Salinas WAS COMMANDER OF PI before she became Commander of the whole 12th Marine Corps District!
Last: SHE'S A FREAKIN' GENERAL... THEY DON'T JUST HAND THOSE STARS OUT LIKE CANDY... SHE DESERVES YOUR RESPECT, AND SHE COULD PROBABLY KICK YOUR ASS.

As far as your "respect is earned not given" comment... female marines know that, they have to work twice as hard for half the respect... male marines are the ones who think they're king of the world the day they walk off the parade deck... wm's know their whole career is going to be a battle to get respect out of sexist *******s.

Zulu 36
08-17-06, 06:59 PM
Having written previously on this thread in favor of BGen Salinas, I should point out that she was not &quot;Commander of PI&quot; at any time. According to her official USMC general officer bio, she was a...