PDA

View Full Version : CBIRF celebrates Lt. Col. Robert Bruggeman's career

thedrifter
08-03-06, 06:09 PM
August 3, 2006

CBIRF celebrates Lt. Col. Robert Bruggeman's career

INDIAN HEAD, Md.--The Marines and Sailors of the Chemical Biological Incident Response Force (CBIRF) celebrated 31 years of Lt. Col. Robert Q. Bruggeman's military service July 6.

During a ceremony marked by joyous laughter, tears and thoughtful reflection, Bruggeman, the outgoing executive officer of CBIRF, pondered the timeless principles of serving something greater than oneself and maintaining an attitude of gratitude.

"I stand in awe of the Marines and our Sailors," said Bruggeman. "You stand for everything that is good and worthy in life--defending the innocent and defenseless. I wanted to belong to an organization that had honor, courage and commitment. I look back over 31 years and I see tremendous men and women who have served this wonderful corps selflessly."

Bruggeman, 47, was joined by his wife of 29 years, the former Catherine Marie Hofrichter. The level of Cathy's sacrifice visibly transformed Bruggeman, a seasoned combat veteran.

"Catherine Marie Bruggeman... words fail me when I try to tell you how much you mean to me," said Bruggeman. "You have put so much on hold for so very long so that I could follow my dreams and your sons had only the best of whatever life had to offer. I hate to imagine how dull life would be without you in my life."

Bruggeman continued his praise of "Cathy" as he reflected upon the life of his sons, Kurt, Arthur and Kyle and his grandchildren, Steven and Alyssa.

"When I look at our sons or our grandchildren I see your reflection in their eyes and smile," Bruggeman said. "You have not only made my life infinitely better but I see how you have brightened so many others. You are the living embodiment of selflessness, devotion and honesty. If I live to be 100, I know there will be only one you and the world is far better for your efforts. I love you more than I can ever express."

Bruggeman's commitment to the corps began in May 1975 when he reported to Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, Calif. Upon graduation from boot camp he reported to Company A, 3rd Engineer Battalion, Provisional Brigade, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii where he was later promoted meritoriously to the ranks of corporal and sergeant.

After a five-year hiatus from the corps during which he worked as a police officer for Boynton Beach, Fla., he attended Palm Beach Junior College and the Florida Atlantic University. Upon graduation from Florida Atlantic University he was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Marine Corps.

Bruggeman's career as an officer took him into the fog of war. He led company C of 1st BN, 7th Marines in combat operations in support of Operations Restore Hope from December 1992 to April 1993. As the company commander of "Suicide Charley" he worked with the French Foreign Legion and conducted

Lt.Col. Robert Bruggeman (r.) embraces his son, Air Force Capt. Arthur Bruggeman, after recieving an American flag carried over Iraq during a mission and the Marine Corps colors carried over the United States during a mission.combat operations to restore order in Mogadishu, Somalia.

"Some of the greatest non-commissioned officers, SNCO's, and officers you will ever meet were with Suicide Charley 1/7," said Bruggeman reminiscing. "Tom Hartnett, who is like a brother as well as the platoon commanders 'Jackel, Streetgang and Peacefrog' who with then Captain Mike Campbell and Colonel Klimp took on the toughest thugs in Mogadishu and won the day, providing a momentary ray of hope for the Somalis."

Bruggeman, born in Rapid City, S.D., in 1957, served as the senior watch officer in the combat operations center in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. During his tour in Iraq he participated in combat operations from An Nasariah to Al Kut.

In June 2004 Lt. Col. Bruggeman reported for duty with CBIRF, which he describes as "a tremendous way to complete a career among young Marines and Sailors at the point of decision."

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve with Col. Campbell and with Sgt. Maj. Murphy in these exciting times for CBIRF in areas such as reorganization, response status and gaining state of the art facilities," said Bruggeman. "The one common denominator in all these individuals is their unrelenting drive to make the Marines and the Corps a better organization. At times it seemed our position would be overrun but they gave whatever it took to accomplish the mission."

Bruggeman's awards include the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Service medal with a Gold Star, Navy Marine Corps Commendation Medal with a Gold Star, Navy Marine Corps Achievement Medal with two Gold Stars, Combat Action Ribbon, and the Marine Corps Good conduct Medal. Other decorations include the Presidential Unit Citation, Joint Meritorious Unit Award with three clusters, Meritorious Unit Commendation with three stars, National Defense Medal with two bronze stars, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medals with bronze star, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon with one silver and one bronze star, Overseas Service Ribbon, Iraq Campaign medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Korean Defense Medal and the Korean Presidential Unit Citation.

Ellie