PDA

View Full Version : Active Duty or Law Enforcement

ja98
07-30-06, 03:55 PM
Ok heres my situation Im 26 and married I have been offered a law enforcement job and Im in a situation where I can either do the Marines or Law Enforcement this job pays $3600 a month but with overtime most are making $100,000. I have always wanted to be a Marine though and know its a huge cut in pay but money isnt everything to me serving my counry as active duty and the pride that goes with it means alot to me. Just wondering what some of you Marines would do in this situation?

tntmondy
07-30-06, 05:50 PM
We are Marines! What do you think the answer is?

sgt tony
07-30-06, 08:43 PM
You can only be a Marine once you can go int law inforcement any time.
It a no brainer on my part what about you.

hrscowboy
07-30-06, 09:17 PM
Since you are Married i think this is something you and your wife needs to sit down and talk about it. Its no longer just you its you and her and you have to think about her also. This is a decision that needs to be worked out between you and her..

His_angel
07-30-06, 11:46 PM
We are Marines! What do you think the answer is?

But as someone else mentioned ... It's a decision between you and da wife. Honestly? I'm a Marine. The decision was easy. But the motivation and reason for my decision was not the same as yours.

Angel

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-01-06, 01:02 PM
OK, I have family members all over the place that are cops. I've never heard of any street cop making $100,000 a year. If you have that chance, and that's what you want to do, jump at it. I doubt that will be available to you in four years.

wsimkins
08-01-06, 01:54 PM
OK, I have family members all over the place that are cops. I've never heard of any street cop making $100,000 a year. If you have that chance, and that's what you want to do, jump at it. I doubt that will be available to you in four years.

With overtime they do in New Albany, IN (but only like 10 on the whole force). It was just published in our local paper. Firefighters are making in the 80's with overtime.

Aint that some s**t!

Marine84
08-01-06, 03:11 PM
Duh

ja98
08-03-06, 09:02 PM
I talked to the wife she supports what ever decision I make. I just feel like Im being selfish by pursuing what I wanted to do for a long time which is the Marines.

Zulu 36
08-03-06, 10:14 PM
I talked to the wife she supports what ever decision I make. I just feel like Im being selfish by pursuing what I wanted to do for a long time which is the Marines.

Believe me, your wife has a specific opinion and it isn't, "Whatever you want, dear." I know women. I have four sisters, a mom, two daughters, and a wife. None of them EVER meant, "Whatever you want, dear.":cry:

This is a tough decision my friend. I have little to offer you except the same advice sgt tony gave. You can only be a Marine once, but then a cop afterward.

hrscowboy
08-03-06, 10:54 PM
Hahahahaha OMG wheres the popcorn..

Messenger
08-04-06, 12:18 AM
in the end its up to you. given the same choice i would most likely take the job and go in as a reserve marine at a latter date. most law enforcement agencies are more then willing to work with officers invaulved with reserve military.

samadma
08-05-06, 01:16 PM
Just go into the reserves, so you can have both. However, don't give up the happiness of your family for anything. If you have a degree then become an Officer. However, the age cut off is 27 without a waiver for both enlisted and officer. I hope this helps.

Echo5November
08-17-06, 10:00 PM
I bet if you talk to the same recruiter I had, he'll promise you that the Marine Corps will deposit $100,000 into your bank account the day you graduate boot camp. If you find him, let me know, cause I'd like to punch him in the mouth. But being a Marine is worth more than any amount of money. You could become a cop who makes 100 g's a year (i still doubt it) and do it until you retire as a millionaire. But when you are eighty, you'll only be a retired cop. However all of us, whether we make billions of dollars or go broke in the long run, for the rest of eternity we will always be Marines. Thats something no one can ever take away from any of us. Semper Fidelis

Sgt. Norton

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-17-06, 10:51 PM
Well said Sgt.

ja98
08-18-06, 04:38 PM
Echo5November that is exactly how I look at it thanks for your input. Like Ronald Reagan said Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines dont have that problem. Thats what I want to be apart of thanks for all your input.