PDA

View Full Version : Right Way To Get A Waiver

KWJR
07-28-06, 12:22 PM
I have beed DQ from going to MEPS because of my kidney. It is a problem that usually means I have to be in the hospital all the time, but I dont. I never need to have check-ups and I am in perfect health. So I want to get a waiver for it but I dont know how to go about getting it. Can anyone help? I dont feel very happy asking my recruiter becasue he dosent seem thrilled about it. Thanks

Camper51
07-28-06, 02:15 PM
Kevin,

It is also a problem that will keep you out of the Marines. You have to be healthy and not need to go to the hospital for any reason other than an injury. Your condition means that the Corps cannot depend on you being where it needs you ALL THE TIME. This is not something that will go away. If it does go away (permanantly) then come back and go for it again...

Marine84
07-28-06, 04:05 PM
Honey you just got all kinds of things going against you don't you?

wsimkins
07-28-06, 06:50 PM
Try the Navy. At least you might meet some Marines. It's better than nothing and just think, boot will be easier and you can still see the world.

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-28-06, 10:25 PM
I would assume a kidney problem that keeps you out of the Marines will also keep you out of the Navy. As hard as it is to hear, it may be time to think about a different career path.

KWJR
07-28-06, 11:01 PM
I Dont have to see any doctors and will NOT have to take any time off. I am healthy and can do everything anyone else can. I dont need special help or anything. I dont need any special treatment. Thats what they need to know. They can depend on me and I can go anywhere at any time, without any special needs.

SgtDBrownRet
07-28-06, 11:34 PM
Get it in statement from you doctor.

jinelson
07-28-06, 11:49 PM
Dont give up and dont beat yourself up until you find out exactly whats going on.

KWJR
07-29-06, 12:27 PM
Thanks guys.

tkmac58
07-29-06, 01:27 PM
What is your diagnosis, I know you said your prognosis is that you have to go to the hospital. What type of kidney problem do you have if you dont mind me asking. Some diseases can be waived, there are waiting times for allot of different things, I have put people in the Corps that have had, Cancer ie. skin, testecular, hodgkins, as far as the vital organs I cant give you any info unless you can tell me what it is. The Marine Corps is a strange bird when it comes to medical waiver, when I first started recruiting I thought there was no such thing. Through the years with modern medicine things have changed. I cant promise anything but I can surely give you some factual info. Let me know.

TKMAC58

KWJR
07-29-06, 10:43 PM
See every one is getting confused. I DO NOT NEED to go to the hospital for anything. I will never need to and have never needed to go to the hospital for my polycystic kidney. It is very rare, but I dont need any special treatment. It is like there is NOTHING wrong with me.

His_angel
07-29-06, 10:59 PM
See every one is getting confused. I DO NOT NEED to go to the hospital for anything. I will never need to and have never needed to go to the hospital for my polycystic kidney. It is very rare, but I dont need any special treatment. It is like there is NOTHING wrong with me.

Well yes. There *is* something wrong. Even if you can't see it.

Approximately 50% of PKD patients will eventually require renal dialysis to compensate for reduced kidney function. Kidney transplantation may be considered as a treatment option for patients with advanced PKD.

Most people with PKD can lead a normal life. In many people, the disease is mild and causes only minor problems. PKD is more severe in some patients and can cause kidney failure. About 60% of patients develop high blood pressure, which can be treated with blood pressure medicine. About 50% of patients with PKD have kidney failure by age 60. Dialysis (blood filtering) and kidney transplants are both effective treatments for kidney failure. PKD is generally worse in men, blacks and patients with sickle cell disease. There is also a childhood form of PKD which is usually more severe than the type that occurs in adults.

People with PKD may also have cysts in the liver, but these cysts seldom cause problems. Heart valve problems sometimes occur. Other organs that may be affected include the brain, intestines, pancreas, ovaries and spleen. If PKD affects the brain, it can cause an aneurysm (a bulging blood vessel that can rupture).

PDK is a progressive, genetic disorder of the kidneys. It occurs in humans and other organisms. PKD is characterised by the presence of multiple cysts (polycystic) in both kidneys. The disease can also damage the liver, pancreas and rarely the heart and brain. The two major forms of polycystic kidney disease are distinguished by their patterns of inheritance.

It's a progressive disease. And being how young you are now then yours is more likely the juvenile onset which is usually more severe. I don't know much about the recruting process and what they can, will or will NOT give waivers for. But I can understand how this can be a road block. Especially as there is no cure for it.

Angel